Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DS mk1 vs 5D  (Read 8267 times)

steven1

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« on: July 13, 2007, 03:04:50 pm »

Hi,

I shoot primarily landscape photography and I recently switched to a 5d from a 1ds mk 1. I have been doing some initial tests with the 5d and I have been a little dissapointed with the lack of detail compared to the 1ds mk1. The 5D's high ISO capability is nice as is the faster image processor but it seems to have some sort of filtering algorithm that is losing detail when compared to the 1ds. I have been comparing both cameras with the same ISO, f stop, shutter, lens and with sharpening set to zero.

Has anyone else experienced a noticable lack of fine detail with the 5D?

I will be going on a big shoot in a few weeks and I am debating bringing the 5d as clarity of detail is very important to me. I know that the 5d performs better in low light so I am considering lugging around both cameras.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I am pretty bummed out by this.

-Steven

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 03:31:46 pm »

YOu should look through the old threads here as this has been discussed quite a bit.   With optimal RAW processing for the 5D, the difference in fine detail is minimal and in fact you might see a better result at the higher isos with the 5D.

Hi,

I shoot primarily landscape photography and I recently switched to a 5d from a 1ds mk 1. I have been doing some initial tests with the 5d and I have been a little dissapointed with the lack of detail compared to the 1ds mk1. The 5D's high ISO capability is nice as is the faster image processor but it seems to have some sort of filtering algorithm that is losing detail when compared to the 1ds. I have been comparing both cameras with the same ISO, f stop, shutter, lens and with sharpening set to zero.
Has anyone else experienced a noticable lack of fine detail with the 5D?

I will be going on a big shoot in a few weeks and I am debating bringing the 5d as clarity of detail is very important to me. I know that the 5d performs better in low light so I am considering lugging around both cameras.

Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.  I am pretty bummed out by this.

-Steven
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128087\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 05:22:02 pm »

Steven,  How are you processing the images?  Guess a better way to word this is what program are you using, Photoshop, Lightroom or what?

I saw a big difference when I switch from a 1Ds to a 1Ds II and I can't really see that much difference between the 1Ds II and my wifes 5D (other than the pixals)  both are clear and sharp.

don
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:22:17 pm by Iron Creek »

steven1

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:44:42 am »

Thanks for the help.   I did a bunch of more tests and found that playing with the raw converter (I am using adobe raw) made a huge difference.  I have never had to tweak the raw settings to get more detail from images with the 1ds.

I have ran into a significant amount of fringing with the 5d.  I am having to do a lot of processing to get rid of it.  I have also run into some weird artifacts when photographing sunsets -almost like a negative halo around the sun.  I have never had major fringing problems with the 1ds. Does anyone have any advice for this?

Thanks,
-Steven

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 07:21:55 am »

I have also run into some weird artifacts when photographing sunsets -almost like a negative halo around the sun.  I have never had major fringing problems with the 1ds. Does anyone have any advice for this?
Reduce exposure. The artifacts are due to the highlights around the sun being severely blown.

steven1

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 05:05:36 pm »

Reduce exposure. The artifacts are due to the highlights around the sun being severely blown.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128281\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I understand why the artifacts are there but my images are properly exposed.  In fact, when shooting skies, I often underexpose by two stops.  

I have seen similiar artifacts with kodak cameras.  I have not experienced these issues with the 1ds.  

I can sometimes just paint them out but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to remove them in post.

jani

• Øyet
1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 05:46:45 am »

I understand why the artifacts are there but my images are properly exposed.  In fact, when shooting skies, I often underexpose by two stops. 

I have seen similiar artifacts with kodak cameras.  I have not experienced these issues with the 1ds. 

I can sometimes just paint them out but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to remove them in post.
I think this is the point where everyone should be asking: do you have any example shots we can look at?
Jan

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 02:35:56 pm »

For all intend and purpose, the 5D and the 1Ds have the same resolution because of the heavier AA filter in the 5D. It's not surprising the 1Ds produces almost equal images. At normal ISO rating, the 5D may have a slight edge as far as dynamic range, but the 1Ds excels in landscapes and detail. Personally, after a week using a 5D on a job, I'd rather have had an older 1Ds. I hated the handling, focusing and RAW files from the 5D.

You might try processing the 5D images with Canon DPP. I've used a half dozen conversion programs, and only recently started using DPP because it's the only program that can deal with the sRAW files from my Mark III. I have a new appreciation for the program. It's a little clunky, but produces very sharp, clean files. You may be happier with your 5D images processed with DPP.

Nemo

John Sheehy

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »

I have also run into some weird artifacts when photographing sunsets -almost like a negative halo around the sun. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128272\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ISO 50 only?

Conner999

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 12:37:16 pm »

I am assuming the tweaking you did in PS was in sharpening during conversion? You might try Raw Developer (vs ACR).  Been seeing good things about it (am downloading trial later tonight myself) - re: it's ability to retain detail that ACR seems to smooth over.

SilkyPix Developer Studio is also better than ACR (I'm using the older CS Mk1 version) - CS3 is supposedly better.

I've found from my Nikon days that different converters make a HUGE difference in IQ. Nikon D1_ series NEFs looked flat, lifeless and basically crap. Same shot thru Nikon's software (arg - though NX is MUCH improved) just popped off the page.

I actually have a 1Ds Mki1 and am contemplating moving to the 5D for lower noise and smaller form factor. All tests show they should be equal in detail capture, with adjustments made to compensate for the 5Ds AA filter - which is still VERY weak vs. the D2 or DS2.

steven1

1DS mk1 vs 5D
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:57:38 pm »

I am assuming the tweaking you did in PS was in sharpening during conversion? You might try Raw Developer (vs ACR).  Been seeing good things about it (am downloading trial later tonight myself) - re: it's ability to retain detail that ACR seems to smooth over.

SilkyPix Developer Studio is also better than ACR (I'm using the older CS Mk1 version) - CS3 is supposedly better.

I've found from my Nikon days that different converters make a HUGE difference in IQ. Nikon D1_ series NEFs looked flat, lifeless and basically crap. Same shot thru Nikon's software (arg - though NX is MUCH improved) just popped off the page.

I actually have a 1Ds Mki1 and am contemplating moving to the 5D for lower noise and smaller form factor. All tests show they should be equal in detail capture, with adjustments made to compensate for the 5Ds AA filter - which is still VERY weak vs. the D2 or DS2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am actually using unsharpen mask for more control as the threshold for the ACR sharpness filter is lower for shadow detail.  

I have done some tests shooting jpeg vs raw and I have noticed that the jpegs are significantly softer than the raw files.  There is a signifcant loss of detail when shooting grassy hills or objects that have minimal texture detail or edge seperation.  It appears that the jpeg conversion in camera has some low pass filtering (this effect seems to occur in all of the picture mode presets).  This is a bit dissapointing as I will often shoot in jpeg when doing timelapse photography.  Also the few timelapse tests I have done have had exposure flickering with the limited metering capabilities of the 5d.  The 1ds was able to provide smooth timelapse sequences with no flickering in both shooting modes Tv, Av.

I am still trying to reproduce the negative halo effect with no success.  It may have been a freak occurance.  I wil post some photos when I can figure out what is going on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up