Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Photoshop CS3 ProPrint plug in  (Read 12335 times)

Gorloth

Z3100 Photoshop CS3 ProPrint plug in
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:51:28 am »

Looking for direct printing from within Photoshop CS3 I came across this on HP's web site.
=============================================================

HP Designjet Z Series - Mac OS X: Pro Print Plug-in for Adobe Photoshop Not Compatible With Adobe Creative Suite 3
ISSUE:

The HP Photosmart Pro Print plug-in for Adobe Photoshop for Designjet Z Series is not compatible with Adobe Creative Suite 3 (CS 3).
SOLUTION:

There are currently no plans to update the HP Photosmart Pro Print plug-in for Adobe Photoshop for the Designjet Z Series to provide support for Photoshop CS 3.
=============================================================
This really bites, I'd like to poll the Z3100 owners out there. What do you use for Phoptoshop CS3 printing?

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:43:42 am »

I don't print from Photoshop.  I use a Windoze app called Qimage Studio for printing.  Its light years better than printing from Photoshop.
Regards,
Ron

Charles Gast

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:23:46 am »

I don't print from Photoshop.  I use a Windoze app called Qimage Studio for printing.  Its light years better than printing from Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron,

I am wondering if Qimage would help with the troubles I am having printing large images.  Do you use CS 2/3 then do the printing from Qimage?
What does Qimage do for you that makes it so advanced compared to PS for printing? I noticed it is only $89.00 so I am seriously thinking about going for it!
Thanks!

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:26 am »

Ron,

I am wondering if Qimage would help with the troubles I am having printing large images.  Do you use CS 2/3 then do the printing from Qimage?
What does Qimage do for you that makes it so advanced compared to PS for printing? I noticed it is only $89.00 so I am seriously thinking about going for it!
Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128004\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I use Lightroom, CS2 and CS3 for post processing and then print from Qimage.  I simply can't print from Lightroom since it doesn't offer softproof.

Qimage simplifies my workflow and enables layout on the printer.

I no longer uprez and final sharpen in Photoshop.  Qimage does that for me very effectively and simply.

Qimage manages the transfer of data to the spooler/driver better than Photoshop.

The layout features in Qimage are generally only found in RIPs.  That allows me to print many image sizes on rolls very efficiently.  

Qimage is also color managed and you can make final tweaks there with its associative filters rather than creating another adjustment layer in PS for each paper type.

There is a free 30 day trial version of Qimage available so you can figure out if its right for you.  It takes a little adjusting to because we're not used to printing apps but most folks that make the leap never go back to printing from Photoshop.
Regards,
Ron

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 11:32:06 pm »

Charles,

I will second Ron's suggestion to get Qimage.

I bought the Professional Edition and it is the best $50 I have ever spent. Mike is constantly refining features and adding features to the program. Best of all it comes with free lifetime updates.

Highly recommended.

Rich

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:56:38 pm »

This really bites, I'd like to poll the Z3100 owners out there. What do you use for Phoptoshop CS3 printing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

I guess I'm a neanderthal, but I print directlly from Photoshop CS3. I rarely print more than one image on a page, and as an amateur optimizing each image is my goal, rather than high-productivity workflow. The print dialogue boxes actually seem to interface pretty well with HP's driver, with a color managed preview window and easy access to the appropriate printing options. The biggest problem at least under Windows XP is HP's squirrely driver, which periodically goes brain-dead regarding custom paper sizes.

Fred Ragland

• http://
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 11:37:03 pm »

I'm on a MAC and print directly from CS3.

Fred

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 05:02:09 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127985\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Always Qimage. I use CS3 only for editing.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 05:25:27 am »

Always Qimage. I use CS3 only for editing.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Always try to use Qimage Studio version but it has problems with the Z3100 driver.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com

marty m

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 01:41:47 am »

Always try to use Qimage Studio version but it has problems with the Z3100 driver.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128275\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ernst -- what problems?  I paid for Studio but haven't yet installed it.  I'm not worried about the price difference between the Pro and Studio versions.  I just want to install the version that works and works with the fewest problems.  Now that I've paid for Studio I can probably install Pro if it works better with the Z3100.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 08:12:39 am »

Although it's easier for me to print from my Mac, I didn't hesitate for a second to buy the Pro version of Qimage. When I finally get a MacIntel, I will print through Qimage on one of the dual or parallel boot XP systems. I do have a few rips , but I don't like waiting for updates and bug fixes that are necessary with a driver level printing.
I didn't have problems with Qimage , but then I am not a dedicated user like Ernst. If bugs are reported Qimage would be updated that much quicker.

Printing in CS 3 supposedly takes away the need for the plug in. Many have installed the HP plug in just the same, but there are some small issues. I would expect to see some page set up faults too with the changes in CS3.

marty m

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 08:28:05 am »

Printing in CS 3 supposedly takes away the need for the plug in. Many have installed the HP plug in just the same, but there are some small issues. I would expect to see some page set up faults too with the changes in CS3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The HP Plug in -- only available for Macs?  Not for windows?  Correct?

deelight

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 05:17:35 am »

I'm on a MAC and print directly from CS3.

Fred
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128261\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I did not get really satisfying colors when printing from CS3 (OSX, Z3100 non PS/APS).

Since I print from CS2 with the HP Photosmart PlugIn I feel like someone opened my eyes...

Only problem I have is that not all papers are selectable in the paper menue. Some are greyed out (also the Litho Matte which I use very often) and not clickable - I simply select "All papers" and print. My colors on the prints are great! Even the dark reds are acceptable now!  

Anyone with a workaround on this problem?

Best,

Clem
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 05:18:14 am by deelight »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:49 am »

The HP Plug in -- only available for Macs?  Not for windows?  Correct?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=155740\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes I believe this true for what was shipped or distributed.

Bob Walters

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 05:56:43 am »

This really bites, I'd like to poll the Z3100 owners out there. What do you use for Phoptoshop CS3 printing?..........

I'm using Qimage Pro, Windows XP, and a plain 24" Z3100; however, I prefer to do the final uprez and sharpening with CS3.

Having said that, I don't have rock solid proof that my uprez and sharpening routine is any better than Qimage. But I believe it is, without having any real evidence.  Should I go into medicine, politics, or religion?  

I don't take advantage of the many features of Qimage.  I use it for layout and printing reference data in the borders when I print a giclĂ©e.  I like the ability to recall the settings from a previous job. It has plenty of other features, but the interface is a little quirky.

Bob
Bob

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007, 07:09:02 am »

I'm using Qimage Pro, Windows XP, and a plain 24" Z3100; however, I prefer to do the final uprez and sharpening with CS3.

Having said that, I don't have rock solid proof that my uprez and sharpening routine is any better than Qimage. But I believe it is, without having any real evidence.  Should I go into medicine, politics, or religion?  
... but the interface is a little quirky.

Bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156044\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bob, I guess you just like extra work.  Qimage does a better job of uprezzing and the cool thing is that it also applies final sharpening.  

Qimage has a quirky interface?  What was your initial impression of Photoshop?  Intuitive?  
Regards,
Ron

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2007, 02:12:10 pm »

I'm running XP Pro, CS3 and Z3100ps 44", so far no problems.

s.

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 05:25:46 pm »

I use Capture NX, and CS2 for final touch ups and Qimage Studio for all my printing.  Works like a champ and I no longer have to worry about resizing for all the different sizes I would want to print.  I have a Epson R1800 and a Z3100 44".
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

Edhopkins

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 03:22:45 pm »

We have a Z3100ps GP and run it on Mac OS 10.4.11. We do all upsizing, final sharpening and printing from PS3.  I will try Qimage when I move to the Mac Pro and have the option of running Windows XP.

(Things look pretty much the same whether we use the PS or raster driver. But we will be doing more extensive testing of this down the road.)

But everything seems to work fine as things stand.  (No special plug-ins for uprezing or sharpening.)

ed
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 04:29:22 am by Edhopkins »

Bob Walters

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 06:49:07 am »

Bob, I guess you just like extra work.  Qimage does a better job of uprezzing and the cool thing is that it also applies final sharpening. 

Qimage has a quirky interface?  What was your initial impression of Photoshop?  Intuitive?   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=156051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have any issues with the way Qimage uprezzes images, but I use a rather complex, multi-step sharpening routine which requires the image to be at final print output resolution.  So, I uprez first, perform final sharpening, and then print via Qimage. Some may find that the Qimage sharpening routine meets their needs; I don't.

Of course, intuitive interfaces are in the mind of the beholder, if that doesn't borrow too heavily on another quote.  Perhaps I've been using Photoshop so long that it seems like an old shoe, and I reckon since it is the gold standard for image processing, many other image programs have chosen to use a similar interface.  Therefore, Photoshop-style software might seem to be more "normal" than is actually justified.  

To tell you the truth, I don't have a specific recollection of my first encounter with Photoshop, but I don't recall ever having a problem with the interface.  True, Photoshop, along with Autocad, are among the most comprehensive and feature-rich programs ordinary people are likely to encounter and the shear capability of Photoshop is somewhat intimidating, but I really don't recall finding fault with the interface when I first started using it.  In any case and for whatever reason, I find Photoshop quite comfortable now even though there are lots of features I don't use.

I find myself getting around in most other programs which are new to me without much difficulty even though I don't consider myself a genuine computer guru.   Such is not the case with Qimage.

Excel, Word, Access, TurboTax, and others that I use regularly are all different, but I  wouldn't describe them as quirky even though some of them are quite sophisticated and I don't pretend to have mastered any of them.  Nevertheless, if I need to use a particular feature, I can usually figure it out without too much trouble.

Qimage, on the other hand, has a rather comprehensive set of tools, but each time I try to do something new (to me) my frustration level rises.  The HELP section is even more unusual and consists mostly of examples. And I'm not alone.  There are countless examples of people who apparently find Qimage quirky too but, like me, they continue to use it

Let me make it clear that it's fine with me if you are in love with Qimage. I don't think you, or anyone else, is a bad person for loving this program.  In fact, I'm somewhat envious of people who can comfortably use all of the features of Qimage. And even though it's somewhat odd, I think Qimage is a good program in spite of the fact that I only use a tiny corner of it.  I currently use Qimage for 99% of my printing needs, but I stand by my statement that the interface is quirky.

Cheers

Bob
Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up