Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ps layers question  (Read 2725 times)

hovis

ps layers question
« on: July 12, 2007, 12:13:10 pm »

Hi

I hope this doesn't seem like too basic a question, I would like to know if it's possible to create a layer in which I can see real time changes to the layer below using the dodge tool. Specifically I am using the dodge tool to adjust differences in uneven lighting on flatwork, the differences are difficult to see on screen but more obvious in print; to see the differences clearly on screen I have to adjust the contrast and brightness and then undo these changes between adjustments with the dodge tool. Is it possible to have the image on one layer with the contrast and brightness adjusted while using the dodge tool on another so that when I've finished I can just reset the contrast on brightness on the image and apply the layer like a mask?

Thanks

Jon

allan67

• http://
ps layers question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:44:04 am »

Hi

I hope this doesn't seem like too basic a question, I would like to know if it's possible to create a layer in which I can see real time changes to the layer below using the dodge tool. Specifically I am using the dodge tool to adjust differences in uneven lighting on flatwork, the differences are difficult to see on screen but more obvious in print; to see the differences clearly on screen I have to adjust the contrast and brightness and then undo these changes between adjustments with the dodge tool. Is it possible to have the image on one layer with the contrast and brightness adjusted while using the dodge tool on another so that when I've finished I can just reset the contrast on brightness on the image and apply the layer like a mask?

Thanks

Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127831\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello,

You can try this:
1. add a Curves adjustment layer on top of the layers stack and tweek it to give you the necessary contrast. Click OK to close Curves dialog.
2. Click on the layer you want to Dodge/Burn - it will be somewhere below the added curves layer in the stack. This will cause all your further actions applied to this layer.
3. Do whichever you need to Dodge/Burn.
4. When finished - delete the temporay Curves layer you created in step 1.

Allan
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:45:13 am by allan67 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up