Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H 28mm Lens Modification available ?  (Read 25771 times)

Bernd B.

Hasselblad H 28mm Lens Modification available ?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 05:27:43 pm »

Which hasselblad camera do YOU have?
The three H bodies that I have here are rock solid since the last few firmware updates. Earlier cameras did freeze/hang but this is old news.

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have a 500C, a 500 ELX, 2 Pentax 67, 2 Pentax 67II, 2 Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RZ with altogehter 20 lenses. Digital only a 5D with 6 lenses. I´m trying to evaluate what a suitable medium format camera system for digital work for me was. A magazine editor recently told me after a job they still accept film, but I was a fossil.

There are lots of newer posts in this forum claiming that the H cameras hang up at least once a day. Excuse me, when I take this into my consideration. Many of my photographs have been taken in a shooting with less than an hour time. My Pentax 67 and 67II, used for 90% of my photos, never left me alone.

Which H bodies do you have? Would you recommend a H1?

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 05:45:39 pm »

I have a 500C, a 500 ELX, 2 Pentax 67, 2 Pentax 67II, 2 Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RZ with altogehter 20 lenses. Digital only a 5D with 6 lenses. I´m trying to evaluate what a suitable medium format camera system for digital work for me was. A magazine editor recently told me after a job they still accept film, but I was a fossil.

There are lots of newer posts in this forum claiming that the H cameras hang up at least once a day. Excuse me, when I take this into my consideration. Many of my photographs have been taken in a shooting with less than an hour time. My Pentax 67 and 67II, used for 90% of my photos, never left me alone.

Which H bodies do you have? Would you recommend a H1?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really wish people would stop talking about things they do not have personal experience with.

Many do not even own a H1/H2 and they just spread rumors about hang ups.

These hangups are long gone if you have updated the firmware.

My H2 has never failed and it is a H1 upgraded to a H2.
Willow Photography

Bernd B.

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2007, 05:55:15 pm »

I really wish people would stop talking about things they do not have personal experience with.

Many do not even own a H1/H2 and they just spread rumors about hang ups.

These hangups are long gone if you have updated the firmware.

My H2 has never failed and it is a H1 upgraded to a H2.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128493\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good to hear that!

And how do you feel beeing excluded from using the 28mm with your H2?

Willow Photography

• http://www.willow.no
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 06:29:18 pm »

Good to hear that!

And how do you feel beeing excluded from using the 28mm with your H2?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am pissed by that.
And I think Hasselblad sucks when they try to force us to buy their
backs by making lenses that cannot be used by us H1/H2 users.

I also think they suck when they are excluding us H1/H2 users from their
Masters series.

Besides the politics, I find the camera to be very good.
And far better than Mamyia 645.
I have had a few of those and they are not an option for me anymore.

Contax, with a faster sync, would have been an option.
Willow Photography

conurus

• http://en.conurus.com/
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2007, 06:36:43 pm »

I wonder if someone could modify theHasselblad HDC 28 for use on the H1 and H2. There are really creative people out there, for example the guy, who modifies Zeiss Contax N Lenses for fully compatible AF use on Canon EOS-Bodies (www.conrus or so?). The H Cameras are great, but when you don`t want a Kodak-Chip, you are limited to 35mm and that might be a bit  tight in some cases.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127793\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am that conurus guy and I got an email from you asking me to look into it.

I certainly recognize this as a problem both important and interesting. My apologies to disappoint all of you but please do not hold your hopes too high. We are not a big company by any measure, but we do not have the money to invest in a H3D and a 28mm for investigation. If there is a venture capitalist among you who thinks this is worthwhile investment, we may be able to work something out. I would be more interested in adapting H3 lenses to Contax 645 actually, since I already know the Contax protocols.

Bernd B.

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 07:01:45 pm »

I am that conurus guy and I got an email from you asking me to look into it.

I certainly recognize this as a problem both important and interesting. My apologies to disappoint all of you but please do not hold your hopes too high. We are not a big company by any measure, but we do not have the money to invest in a H3D and a 28mm for investigation. If there is a venture capitalist among you who thinks this is worthwhile investment, we may be able to work something out. I would be more interested in adapting H3 lenses to Contax 645 actually, since I already know the Contax protocols.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128505\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think your participation is appreciated a lot.

I hope this forum brings together the right people to move something.

Nick_T

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 07:21:08 pm »

There are lots of newer posts in this forum claiming that the H cameras hang up at least once a day.

The point I am trying to make is that one of those newer posts:

Maybe not such a good idea for a camera that frequently locks up even with the most actual original firmware

...was made by yourself and you do not own a camera yet are happy to perpetuate the myth.

I have an H1 and H2 and an H3D.
If you are using a non Hasselblad back then the only gain with the H2 over the H1 is the better battery that comes with the upgrade. (Last time I looked the upgrade H1>H2 was cheaper than buying a 7.2V battery and charger).

Oh and I love my 28mm btw and the corrections are fantastic.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

josayeruk

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 07:50:25 pm »

The point I am trying to make is that one of those newer posts:
...was made by yourself and you do not own a camera yet are happy to perpetuate the myth.

I have an H1 and H2 and an H3D.
If you are using a non Hasselblad back then the only gain with the H2 over the H1 is the better battery that comes with the upgrade. (Last time I looked the upgrade H1>H2 was cheaper than buying a 7.2V battery and charger).

Oh and I love my 28mm btw and the corrections are fantastic.

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here here.

Its tiring to hear about H1/H2 hangups when it simply isn't true.

The lens corrections are fantastic, agreed.

Jo S.x

jonstewart

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 05:02:51 am »

And far better than Mamyia 645.
I have had a few of those and they are not an option for me anymore.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128504\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Frode,
Which Mamiya 645 were you talking about? I'm always interested in comparisons from photographers who have had both. Was it the body, or the lenses or both?

Thanks
Jon
Jon Stewart
 If only life were so simple.

cerett

• http://
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 10:41:30 am »

This may be off topic, but have any of you updated your H1/H2 firmware by downloading Flexcolor and using a Hasselblad back from your local dealer? This avoids having to send the cameras back to Hasselblad. I know this can be done, but are there problems or hang-ups I need to be aware of? Is the current firmware update worth doing this?

samuel_js

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 01:12:05 pm »

So is it possible to get the shutter of a H2 to work with a 28mm? There might be two possibilities: a pirate firmware-update for the camera. Maybe not such a good idea for a camera that frequently locks up even with the most actual original firmware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128317\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry to hear that. My H2 is 100% stable. Never had a problem...

Nick-T

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 01:21:05 pm »

This may be off topic, but have any of you updated your H1/H2 firmware by downloading Flexcolor and using a Hasselblad back from your local dealer? This avoids having to send the cameras back to Hasselblad. I know this can be done, but are there problems or hang-ups I need to be aware of? Is the current firmware update worth doing this?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145095\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep do it all the time, follow the instructions carefully and you will be fine..

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

samuel_js

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2007, 01:44:54 pm »

Hi Frode,
Which Mamiya 645 were you talking about? I'm always interested in comparisons from photographers who have had both. Was it the body, or the lenses or both?

Thanks
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145049\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've had both H1, AFdII and now use H2.
I agree the H2 is a superior camera. Full of usable functions, profiles, very fast AF, very bright viewfinder, and the battery consumption is impressive, very low also.

jonstewart

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2007, 03:57:28 pm »

I've had both H1, AFdII and now use H2.
I agree the H2 is a superior camera. Full of usable functions, profiles, very fast AF, very bright viewfinder, and the battery consumption is impressive, very low also.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145133\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Samuel,

What let the AFD2 down, compared with the H2, or is it all you listed above?
Jon
Jon Stewart

samuel_js

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007, 05:54:08 pm »

Thanks Samuel,

What let the AFD2 down, compared with the H2, or is it all you listed above?
Jon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To be honest, the only reason I left the AFDII was that the DB never arrived. I was waiting two months for the P21 in Mamiya mount but i wasn't avaible. They told me if I buy the Hasselblad the P21 arrives in one week. I needed it for a project that must be finished at the end of  november so I went for it. I had a H1 before so I knew what it was and that it would work. No learning curve needed... My concerns about the H2 were price of the H system and that I didn't know how long hasselblad would take to discontinue it. I knew It was kind of a dead system too, like my contax 645. But I bought it at 1/3 of the price because of the p21.
Now I'm reading in another post that the H2 is discontinued from today and it kind of hurt. First no HC28mm and now they take down their open system option. I fell like regretting it actually....
Hasselblad's strategy sucks really but I keep thinking the H2 is a superior camera than the Mamiya.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:17:51 pm by samuel_js »

Bernd B.

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 09:15:01 am »

Hasselblad's strategy sucks really but I keep thinking the H2 is a superior camera than the Mamiya.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the AFD is a good camera (I have one). Only the finder sucks (even with the manual focus screen). And the finder is one of the most important criteria for me. I´ll get my H1 in a week or so and then decide which system is better for my work.

I believe the rumors that leaf (or generally Dalsa sensors) has the best skin tone rendition. That´s why I´d like to buy a leaf back for the H1. Maybe I should try a H3D and see what they are capable on skin tones.

jonstewart

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 09:28:55 am »

To be honest, the only reason I left the AFDII was that the DB never arrived.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know that feeling. I had a P45 coming from Capture integration, and the courier company have lost it (they say they are trying to find it again!) This is bad, since there seem to be plenty of Hasselblad fit P backs around, but few Mamiya.

I feel your pain about the discontinuation issues, but lets face it: either of the two systems will do the job well. I felt the choice was 50/50, and went for the Mamiya, since the lenses seemed to be 'nearly as good' as hasselblad, but a lot less expensive second hand. Also seemed to be a wide range of lenses available. Need a back, 'cos I have about 12 lenses (including a fair bit of duplication) and I want to narrow that down and sell the rest, when I've thoroughly tested them.

@ Bernd.

I'm looking forward to your comparison of the two systems. the 645 has that Achilles heel of no decent finder. I hope I can live with that!
Jon Stewart

Photomangreg

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:59 am »

I believe the rumors that leaf (or generally Dalsa sensors) has the best skin tone rendition. That´s why I´d like to buy a leaf back for the H1. Maybe I should try a H3D and see what they are capable on skin tones.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145304\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you're going to spend 30,000+/- on something, doesn't it make sense to test it, and the competition, out rather than just believing the "rumors"?

Bernd B.

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2007, 09:57:17 am »

If you're going to spend 30,000+/- on something, doesn't it make sense to test it, and the competition, out rather than just believing the "rumors"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=145306\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought the two bodies with a standart lens and a film back to compare the handling of the cameras. The next decission would be a digital back. And yes, indeed, it would make sense to rent something before buying it.

But let´s have a look at the prices: a Valeo 22 costs maybe 6000,- EUR, a refurb Aptus 22 or P25 cost 10.000,- EUR and a H3D22 (not available as a refurb) costs 17.000,- EUR.

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2007, 06:45:51 pm »

Hi
It is now official as of yesterday that Mamiya is the only open platform on the market. I switched from a Hasselblad V system 8 years ago. I own a ZD camera plus 2 645 bodies (AFD & AFDII ). When I am shooting in the studio I normally rent the Aptus 22 back. It is the only system that allows a Sinar,Leaf, Phase & there own ZD back to be used with the 28mm. I think with the recent Hasselblad news that Phase is going to have to work together with Mamiya closer.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up