Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: framer complaints  (Read 2976 times)

EvoM

framer complaints
« on: July 11, 2007, 09:34:49 pm »

Hi,

We do a lot of portrait photography and normally print using HP ID satin GE on whole sheet via our 44 inch Z3100. As you all probably know, it doesn't take too much to scratch or mark the surface. This isn't a problem when we frame our prints but the general public are used to RA4 prints which generally are a bit scratch resistant. Local framers don't like them and I'm having to do reprints now and again (when I find out that is.).

My question is, does anyone have any paper recommendations that solve or at least reduce this problem? We prefer a lustre/semi matte/satin surface.

I have a Kodak lustre paper sample printed on an Epson 7800 K3 ink and that seems a lot tougher to scratch but what do you think?

Evo

Geoff Wittig

framer complaints
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 12:07:06 am »

Pretty much every paper I have tried in the Z3100 has a very delicate surface after printing, including Epson premium luster. Drag a thumbnail across the print, and you leave a streak that is immediately visible in raking light. Oh, well. Prints on matte/fine art papers from my Epson 7600 were equally fragile in all shadow areas.

rdonson

framer complaints
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 06:42:07 am »

I don't think its the paper.  Its the GE on the Z3100.  It is easily scratched.  If presented with this information I expect a good framer should be able to deal with it.
Regards,
Ron

EvoM

framer complaints
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 07:23:49 pm »

I don't think its the paper.  Its the GE on the Z3100.  It is easily scratched.  If presented with this information I expect a good framer should be able to deal with it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127770\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suppose the problem is that some prints we do are framed outside our area. Also, the customers often "look" at the prints before framing and may not realise they may damage the print easily.

I think general customers should be able to handle prints like a regular RA4 lab print and although I (we) know it's better quality, the fragile nature continues to cause me  concern.

We always use whole sheet GE to reduce any bronzing issues do you think non GE'd prints might be less fragile and if so, what surface/paper type?

Evo

rdonson

framer complaints
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 07:41:59 pm »

I guess it depends on your customers' expectations.  If they like RA4 prints that's going to mean glossy, satin or luster on RC, right?  I don't know of anything on RC that I wouldn't put GE on.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up