Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malena ponders  (Read 6227 times)

Andres Bonilla

Malena ponders
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:25:04 pm »

Ok, this is the type of photograph that I think it would benefit with a background information but I would like to see what is the reaction of the viewer. Some people have told me that they perceived the idea with just the photograph while others have told me they did not have a clue until they read the story behind it. I t was hard to post because I struggle with the cropping of it; it was between showing her environment or making much tighter.

I post the info once I see some opinions.

Thanks,

Andres

HickersonJasonC

Malena ponders
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:59:09 pm »

For me, the TV is a deal breaker. It draws my eye away from the girl. However, I do like the girl's expression and the mood of the image. She looks more mature than her surroundings would imply. . . I can see this illustrating a Nat'l Geographic article on prostitution or orphaned children (except for the TV).

I hope you don't mind - I've used the lens correction filter in PS to remove the vertical distortion. I happen to like the crop, but I'm interested to hear what others think of this image.

Andres Bonilla

Malena ponders
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:03:39 pm »

Thanks Jason! Yes, that television was part of her room but when she turn it off after this photo was taken it looked worse for some reason, I thought I could do something to it afterwards but I was not sure what. Selective blurring, making it darker maybe?

Thanks,

Andres

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Malena ponders
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:16 pm »

For me the TV set actually adds to the image. She is not looking at it, and is in fact sitting in such a way that she can't look at the TV very easily. This raises questions: What is she looking at so intently and why?

Without the TV it would simply be a nice portrait. So the incongruity of the ignored TV adds a sense of mystery which makes the image much more interesting to me.

Maybe this just shows that different people will respond differently to the same image, which we knew already.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

Malena ponders
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 05:31:05 am »

I don´t think that trying to correct the verticals in this sort of shot is relevant. In fact, I perceive it as totally counterproductive in that it robs the original image of its photoreportage style, which it had captured rather well, in my opinion.

Why mess with the content of the room? People, particularly in what seems to be a fairly poor environment, do not have the choices  of space and orderly living. The TV is often left on all day - fills the mental vacuum, perhaps - and I think your shot shows everything in a gritty, realistic way. We are not talking advertising pictures here!

Good shooting - Rob C

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Malena ponders
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:31 am »

I like the shot very much just as you have presented it.  As beautiful as the subject and lighting are, the TV and window frame supply mystery/tension and elevate the image to something more IMO.  Well done.

And I'm interested in the story.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Andres Bonilla

Malena ponders
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:49:56 pm »

Thank you Rob my thoughts exactly, I had a long discussion in another forum with a photographer that insisted in "changing" the expression of a couple of children I photographed. In his mind they looked comical because they were not frowning as he would have expected it. I told him that in this type of photo you get what you experience and see, trying to change things to go more accordingly with what you perceive as their "reality " is a very tricky move. I tried a couple of things with this photo but to me it killed the essence of it.

Andres Bonilla

Malena ponders
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 04:54:48 pm »

I like the shot very much just as you have presented it.  As beautiful as the subject and lighting are, the TV and window frame supply mystery/tension and elevate the image to something more IMO.  Well done.

And I'm interested in the story.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129990\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you Nill! here is the original caption of the story.

Malena ponders about the color of the shoes she'll wear for her quinceañera ( Latina sweet sixteen) A few months back she was at the hospital battling leukemia, her heart stopped twice as her health took a turn for the worse. She is doing much better now and her recovery is solid.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Malena ponders
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:07:32 pm »

Wow... again, well done.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
Malena ponders
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 11:18:32 pm »

I hope you don't mind - I've used the lens correction filter in PS to remove the vertical distortion. I happen to like the crop, but I'm interested to hear what others think of this image.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I really think correcting the vertical distortion ruins the image. There is a wonderful sense of looking in from the outside -- that we are observing but not interfering. I think straightening and minimizing the effect of the window really reduces this mood/tone of the work which I had really liked.

All and all I think this a very strong work. It really does capture the viewers attention and then hold onto it with all the details.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Malena ponders
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

Andres,

I really like your photograph. Please don't change a thing!

Thanks.

-bruce
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up