Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston & area advice  (Read 3790 times)

Khurram

Boston & area advice
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:02:05 pm »

I've got to attend a conferance in Boston from July 29 to Aug 2. I haven't been to the Eastern USA and I just wanted to get some advice if there are any landscape options in that vicinity that would make it worthwhile extending my trip.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:02:43 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

peterpix2005

• http://perpublisher.com
Boston & area advice
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:13:37 pm »

Lots of choices: Cape Cod, New Hampshire's white mountains, seacoast of maine east of Portland. All of the above are about 2-3 hours from Boston. Nearby are Boston's Harbor islands served by  ferries. Alao Cape Ann with the rocky shores of Rockport an artists's colony, and the seaports of Gloucester, Essex and Marblehead.

Peter

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Boston & area advice
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:42:59 pm »

I took a walking photo tour with Saba http://www.photowalks.com/bostonmawalkingt...beacon_hill.php of beacon hill that was kinda fun...

nma

Boston & area advice
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:03:57 am »

I've got to attend a conferance in Boston from July 29 to Aug 2. I haven't been to the Eastern USA and I just wanted to get some advice if there are any landscape options in that vicinity that would make it worthwhile extending my trip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127472\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As a native of the area I think I can give you some good suggestions. First, I am keeping my suggestions to excursions that can be accomplished in an afternoon or morning. They are relatively close to Boston.  Boston, itself has great charm with respect to city scapes. In that regard, you can try some night photography on the Cambridge side of the Charles River or in the complex near the Christian Science Church on Huntington Avenue.

Now the excursions:

Old Town Marblehead, a little known gem about 15 miles from Boston. Here is a walking tour: Walk along Front Street beginning at Crocker Park,and continue to the end where there is an old fort (Sewall) guarding the entrance to Marblehead Harbor.  Retrace your steps and walk up Fort Beach Lane via Doaks Lane and turn right  onto Orne Street. Take a short detour to the view the beach off Gas House Lane and then continue on Orne St. Turning right, pass  the very old (pre-revolutionary) cemetary, and down a short hill. Make a sharp right and walk out to take in a great view of the rugged shore line, lobster boats, etc.  Turn back and continue on Beacon Street. Take note of Picturesque Gingerbread Lane. As you reach the T-intersection with Norman Street, you are in primo territory.  This is the North Shore Coastline at its best. When finished here start back along Norman St. Norman Street soon turns to the left to join Pond St. On your left is Redd's Pond and usually some boats under repair. Follow the sidewalk going back along Redd's Pond toward the cemetery. This is the time to walk through the cemetery. Plot your own course and wander through history. Some of the gravestone inscriptions are remarkable. With a little luck you will emerge on Orne Street. Follow Orne street back down the little hill toward Gas House Lane. Follow along to Washington Street and then into the center of old town where you will meet the tourists who think they are seeing Marblehead. Don't tell anyone about this  .

Another good one is the Town of Rockport, probably about 30 miles north of Boston.
The downtown area is very touristy but interesting nonetheless.  There you will find Motiff Number 1, the red fishing building in the little harbor.  After you have wandered around the town. Find Rte 127, nearby, and drive north. This should be sign posted Granite Street. Just before  Granite Street (127)  makes a fairly sharp left, you will find Halibut Point. If memory serves, you find a parking area just of Gott Street. You can then walk down to a great view of the granite shore line. Don't forget your camera.

I hope this helps.

Khurram

Boston & area advice
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I'm hoping to scheudle my trip so i can have the weekend before the conference for photography, now i just need to go through the suggested locations and pick the best bets.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Heming

Boston & area advice
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:05 am »

My favorite spot to take the cityscape of Boston is at the Charlstown side where the USS Constitution is.  I'm not sure whether it is still open to the public after 9/11. If you only have a few days in Boston, if I were you, I would explore Boston instead of going anywhere out of town.  There are many places you can take or enjoy the city.  Old churches, Fine Arts museum, public library(the interior), and many more.

Here is one shot I did last Nov.

Enjoy your trip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up