Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom database management  (Read 4398 times)

vkalia

Lightroom database management
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:35:31 am »

Hi all -

The way I like to store my images, I have one separate database for RAW images and a different database for high-res converted images (PSDs/TIFFs).

Currently, when I open a RAW image after making adjustments in Lightroom, the program creates a separate PSD file and stores it in the same directory as the RAW images.   This means my converted files get mixed up with my RAW files.

What I would like to do is to have Lightroom work exactly as ACR - after I make the adjustments, it opens the image in PS.. and I have the option of saving it whereever I want in Photoshop.    How do I do that?  Right now, when I hit OPTION-E, I dont get the "Open without saving" option.

Also, lets say I copy a folder contaiing my most recent shoot from my harddrive to an external drive.  Is it possible to get Lightroom to point to the folder in the external drive WITHOUT deleting that folder on my local drive?

TIA,
Vandit

francois

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 08:11:58 am »

What I would like to do is to have Lightroom work exactly as ACR - after I make the adjustments, it opens the image in PS.. and I have the option of saving it whereever I want in Photoshop.    How do I do that?  Right now, when I hit OPTION-E, I dont get the "Open without saving" option.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127414\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Use Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + E (or choose File > Export…), an export dialog where you can set the destination folder and different image settings will be displayed. You can also set the post-processing action(s) like editing in Photoshop or other applications.

HTH
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:13:05 am by francois »
Francois

vkalia

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:31:34 am »

Use Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + E (or choose File > Export…), an export dialog where you can set the destination folder and different image settings will be displayed. You can also set the post-processing action(s) like editing in Photoshop or other applications.

Hi -  

Thanks for that info.  The problem with this is that it still pre-saves the file and that file ends up in the Lightroom catalog, which is what I would like to avoid - with the way it is right now, I have to do a lot of manual cleanup when I move that folder to an external drive.

Any suggestions?

Vandit

francois

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:07:08 am »

Thanks for that info.  The problem with this is that it still pre-saves the file and that file ends up in the Lightroom catalog, which is what I would like to avoid - with the way it is right now, I have to do a lot of manual cleanup when I move that folder to an external drive.
Yes, the file is exported and saved somewhere but it's not imported back in Lightroom's catalog/library. You set the destination folder in the export dialog... Just choose the fnal destination of your file here.
On the other hand, if you use the export function (Cmd/Ctrl + E), Lightroom will automatically re-import the exported file - this what you try to avoid.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:09:15 am by francois »
Francois

vkalia

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:57:45 am »

Yes, the file is exported and saved somewhere but it's not imported back in Lightroom's catalog/library. You set the destination folder in the export dialog... Just choose the fnal destination of your file here.
On the other hand, if you use the export function (Cmd/Ctrl + E), Lightroom will automatically re-import the exported file - this what you try to avoid.

Ah, excellent!  I didnt realize that LR behaves differently.  Selecting an image and exportng it to an external folder using the Export button, as opposed to OPT-E does seem to accomplish that!

Thanks a lot!

Vandit

francois

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 11:36:46 am »

Ah, excellent!  I didnt realize that LR behaves differently.  Selecting an image and exportng it to an external folder using the Export button, as opposed to OPT-E does seem to accomplish that!

Thanks a lot!

Vandit
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127441\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Glad it works for you!

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up