Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 transport roller marks  (Read 8228 times)

f64digital

Z3100 transport roller marks
« on: July 10, 2007, 03:10:25 am »

Hello, I have posted recently I have problems with the scratch resistence and roller marks with my 44" z3100.

I opened  a new case at HP thech support. They asked me to send prints using differen papers: Kodak Professional Lustre, Kodak Professional Glossy, Permajet Fibre-Based Gloss, Fuji "Baryte", Fuji Gloss 240, HP ID gloss, Fuji Pear, HP Hannemule Smooth fine art

I have roller marks, depending on the humidity on: Fuji Glossy, Fuji Baryte, Permajet, Kodak Glossy and Hannemule Smooth Fine Art. The attached image corresponds to the HP Hannemule roller marks.

I live in the Canary Islands (Spain), and I can not control the relative humidity... it is around 70% and about 22ºC all year.

I am very upset with all these problems... As soon as the prints arrived to the tech support in Madrid, an engineer called me. He told me that he was going to scale the case. I received a call last week from the same engineer, telling that they were able to reproduce the same marks and the were working to solution this issue. We were talking about the mechanism of the transport rolls: there is no regulation of the pressure onto the paper surface depending on the paper loaded: the pressure is fixed for every paper. The rollers have a very hard surface that damages the delicate surface of many of the art and photographic papers, no like de smooth surface of the Epson rollers (I also have a 7800 printing the same papers).

I think the only way to solution this issue is the HP redesign the transport-roll mechanism. I have spent about 7000 € on this machine for having roll marks on most of the papers I use, and also marks on the HP Hannemule... It is very important that people that have the same problem call the tech support if we want that they work to find a solution.

Has anybody got in contact with the tech support about this? What experience did you have?

Sorry for my english...

[attachment=2789:attachment]

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:26:39 am »

Hello, I have posted recently I have problems with the scratch resistence and roller marks with my 44" z3100.

I opened  a new case at HP thech support. They asked me to send prints using differen papers: Kodak Professional Lustre, Kodak Professional Glossy, Permajet Fibre-Based Gloss, Fuji "Baryte", Fuji Gloss 240, HP ID gloss, Fuji Pear, HP Hannemule Smooth fine art

I have roller marks, depending on the humidity on: Fuji Glossy, Fuji Baryte, Permajet, Kodak Glossy and Hannemule Smooth Fine Art. The attached image corresponds to the HP Hannemule roller marks.

I live in the Canary Islands (Spain), and I can not control the relative humidity... it is around 70% and about 22ºC all year.

I am very upset with all these problems... As soon as the prints arrived to the tech support in Madrid, an engineer called me. He told me that he was going to scale the case. I received a call last week from the same engineer, telling that they were able to reproduce the same marks and the were working to solution this issue. We were talking about the mechanism of the transport rolls: there is no regulation of the pressure onto the paper surface depending on the paper loaded: the pressure is fixed for every paper. The rollers have a very hard surface that damages the delicate surface of many of the art and photographic papers, no like de smooth surface of the Epson rollers (I also have a 7800 printing the same papers).

I think the only way to solution this issue is the HP redesign the transport-roll mechanism. I have spent about 7000 € on this machine for having roll marks on most of the papers I use, and also marks on the HP Hannemule... It is very important that people that have the same problem call the tech support if we want that they work to find a solution.

Has anybody got in contact with the tech support about this? What experience did you have?

Sorry for my english...

[attachment=2789:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127390\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That picture makes it look like there is a banding problem... Are those lines in the same direction of the paper as it leaves the printer?  Or do they match the direction of the carriage that is putting the ink on the paper?
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

f64digital

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:55:37 am »

That picture makes it look like there is a banding problem... Are those lines in the same direction of the paper as it leaves the printer?  Or do they match the direction of the carriage that is putting the ink on the paper?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127520\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's not banding. The bands are in the same direction as the paper leaves the printer. HP has told me that they have reproduced the problem and are working for a solution...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 06:56:27 am »

It's not banding. The bands are in the same direction as the paper leaves the printer. HP has told me that they have reproduced the problem and are working for a solution...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127538\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't hope for anything!!! I told HP about this problem over 4 months ago. They said they work on a solution. They did nothing. The same with printer running out of ink while printing. Four months ago they said, no problem we will fix it. Now they say it can't be done and will be in the next generation of HP printers. ....

Welcome to be a testing pig for HP...

EDIT: I have the same on many Glossy media.... the only solution so far to use a different paper and hope for the best. The funny thing, On some printers it's glossy on some matte and on some its HM on some Innova, so there is no real pattern.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:58:09 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:36:35 pm »

It's not banding, it's the rollers that have a much too hard surface that actually are abrasive and or too taught on delicate surfaces. I get this with Innova Fibre glossy. I wish there were an option for changing these rollers or releasing pressure and or height but apparently not.

Recked

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 11:34:45 am »

Hello,

Just prior to HP replacing this part in my 24 inch printer (due to scratches on output) I noticed that you can lift this piece in the printer. Just wondering if somehow the height can be adjusted so the rollers don't strike the paper. Just now sure how this will affect the paper being moved out of the machine.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

I didn't have this issue with the Hahn Photo Rag Pearl, but somehow I get the odd feeling that when I do some printing this weekend I will!!!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 02:00:13 pm »

It's not banding, it's the rollers that have a much too hard surface that actually are abrasive and or too taught on delicate surfaces. I get this with Innova Fibre glossy. I wish there were an option for changing these rollers or releasing pressure and or height but apparently not.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127607\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have tried to find a position for the paper lever that lowers the pressure on the rolls but the switch/sensor that sends the OK signal for paper control is then not activated, that point is almost at the end of the lever position when total pressure is already there.

I also thought that the auto-skew correction has another pressure in between free and total pressure but that's not easy to  control.

The only solution is in softer and broader pressure rolls. The pressure is not only applied for transport but also for keeping the paper flat beneath the head. There's no suction to help with that task so the paper is slightly bended to the surface below and that requires more pressure.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com

Charles Gast

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 02:17:19 pm »

They guy who came to change out the star rollers on my printer told me there was also suction in this model.
The only sucktion is HP's unknowledgable support and bugs.
Epson will counter this printer with a unit having a spectro,new better inks and much fewer problems.  Most likely before years end an announcement will be made. I had a few snags with the 4800 but this z3100 is just one snag after another.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 08:24:39 pm »

They guy who came to change out the star rollers on my printer told me there was also suction in this model.
The only sucktion is HP's unknowledgable support and bugs.
Epson will counter this printer with a unit having a spectro,new better inks and much fewer problems.  Most likely before years end an announcement will be made. I had a few snags with the 4800 but this z3100 is just one snag after another.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not if your read most the reviews. This printer is the best around ;-) ^^
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Charles Gast

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:44:56 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is the classic mistake made by companies and their service departments.
Tell someone whos system is hosed up that everyone else says its the best system around.

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry.... I'm happy with my Z3100.  It has problems for sure but I can't think of any printer available today that doesn't.  Its just a question of finding a printer who's shortcomings you can live with.  I'm also sure I'd feel different if I was experiencing some of the problems reported.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 09:55:14 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

f64digital

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:20:37 am »

Hello,

Just prior to HP replacing this part in my 24 inch printer (due to scratches on output) I noticed that you can lift this piece in the printer. Just wondering if somehow the height can be adjusted so the rollers don't strike the paper. Just now sure how this will affect the paper being moved out of the machine.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

I didn't have this issue with the Hahn Photo Rag Pearl, but somehow I get the odd feeling that when I do some printing this weekend I will!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127821\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There is no way to adjust the heigth of theese rollers because it uses something like a camshaft with no intermediate positions

f64digital

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 04:25:59 am »

I have tried to find a position for the paper lever that lowers the pressure on the rolls but the switch/sensor that sends the OK signal for paper control is then not activated, that point is almost at the end of the lever position when total pressure is already there.

I also thought that the auto-skew correction has another pressure in between free and total pressure but that's not easy to  control.

The only solution is in softer and broader pressure rolls. The pressure is not only applied for transport but also for keeping the paper flat beneath the head. There's no suction to help with that task so the paper is slightly bended to the surface below and that requires more pressure.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also tried the same solution... if you try to slightly low the pressure moving the lever, you have problems with the movement of the paper. It has not a smooth intermediate position, so I think so the only solution is tha HP redesigns the surface of the pressure rolls.

The thing I don't understand is why HP is taking so long for give a solution for this 7000€ machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up