Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual photoshop display posterization issue  (Read 13461 times)

craigwashburn

Unusual photoshop display posterization issue
« on: July 09, 2007, 07:16:49 pm »

For the past few months I've had a vexing problem regarding posterization in skin tones in photoshop - but only photoshop, and not Capture One, and only on my display.  I've recently found a solution - but I would like some opinions on the causes of the problem and whether my solution is a good one or not.

Some background:
I purchased a Dell inspiron 6400 notebook with a Core2Duo processor in January and paid for the top of the line screen option - they give it a name something like TruSharp.  It's a very nice screen (for a notebook) with very little color shifting and surprising sharpness (perhaps a little too sharp).  The video card is a ATI Mobility Radeon X1300.

I calibrate with a Gretag EyeOne Display to Native Whitepoint, 120 cd/m, gamma 2.2.  I have tried forcing a whitepoint, but have never been satisifed with the results.

My camera is a D200.  I process RAW files with Capture One LE, normally outputting to *16 bit* and Adobe RGB.

My previous notebook was a 2+ year old Toshiba A70.  The screen was average, but calibrated okay.  I had no issues with posterization.

The problem I have is that skin tones in the orangeish-red area posterize in Photoshop CS and also CS3 when my image's profile is Adobe RGB or sRGB.  But only in photoshop, and only on this notebook's display.  Viewed at 100% in capture one, the posterization does not exist, and the same file viewed on other displays in Photoshop.  Sounds like a display issue right?  But wait, there's more...

My workaround:  If I output files in Capture One and set my output profile to my monitor's profile from EyeOne, and then open the file in photoshop,
no posterization exists!  It looks the same as it did in C1.  From here I have been converting to Adobe RGB in photoshop with no problems.  

Why does this work?  Are there possible pitfalls to outputting my files in C1 to my monitor's profile and then converting in PS?

Possible related issue:  In the photoshop color picker, I see a distinct line appear, especially in the reddish-orange hues, when my working colorspace is set to Adobe RGB or sRGB.

I wish I knew *why* it was happening, so I could know who to bug about it - Dell, Adobe or Phase One.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 05:11:51 am »

You're trying to display colors outside your laptop monitor's gamut. Laptop LCDs are far from ideal image editing displays. You can try the "Desaturate Monitor Colors By X%" option in color management settings, but that will affect all colors displayed in PS, not just saturated ones.

Capture One is munging the colors a bit so that there is a smoother transition to out-of-gamut clipping, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Colors that are in-gamut are being tweaked to do this.

You have 3 options: 1. Ignore the problem. 2. Buy a new laptop. 3. Connect an external display to the laptop and use that for image editing.

jbrembat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:22:08 am »

My suggestion is :
 1 - ouput from C1 into sRGB color space
 2 - view the image in a non coloror managed application

If you see a good image ==> monitor profile is wrong or your workflow is incorret.

Jacopo

P.S.
  Image in device dependent color space is not a good idea.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 01:59:51 pm »

My suggestion is :
 1 - ouput from C1 into sRGB color space
 2 - view the image in a non coloror managed application

If you see a good image ==> monitor profile is wrong or your workflow is incorret.

Not so, outputing in sRGB is the best and recommended method for seeing reasonably good color in non-color-managed apps. Converting down to sRGB will reduce the color gamut to the point that image will probably display correctly anyhow, so your test is meaningless, especially the part about viewing on non-color-managed app. A bad monitor profile will affect non-color-managed apps and screw up their color, too. And why on earth do you use unmanaged color to judge the accuracy of managed color? That's like using a rubber ruler to judge the accuracy of a micrometer.

jbrembat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:45:41 pm »

Not so, outputing in sRGB is the best and recommended method for seeing reasonably good color in non-color-managed apps. Converting down to sRGB will reduce the color gamut to the point that image will probably display correctly anyhow, so your test is meaningless, especially the part about viewing on non-color-managed app. A bad monitor profile will affect non-color-managed apps and screw up their color, too. And why on earth do you use unmanaged color to judge the accuracy of managed color? That's like using a rubber ruler to judge the accuracy of a micrometer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Jonathan Wienke,
you forget that craigwashburn wrote
when my image's profile is Adobe RGB or sRGB
So sRGB image has posterization problem too.

A bad monitor profile will affect non-color-managed apps.
A non-color-managed application is not affected at all from monitor profile.

I think you have some wrong understanding on what color management is.

There is another test that craigwashburn can do, in a color managed application: substitution of sRGB profile to monitor profile. If the image is good ==> monitor profile is wrong.
The last chance is to post the monitor profile and I can inspect it.
And why on earth do you use unmanaged color to judge the accuracy of managed color? That's like using a rubber ruler to judge the accuracy of a micrometer.
It's strange: I know so many guys  thinking  that they are  true color scientist .

What is the micrometer you refer to?

Jaoopo

craigwashburn

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 08:49:10 pm »

Thanks for the replies.  I appreciate it.

I've tried a few things and here are the results:

Opened sRGB tagged file in non-colormanaged application Firefox:  No posterization.  Typical oddly desaturated result that you see on web pictures.  I wouldn't call it "correct" or even "good", but it isn't chunked up in the areas I see in photoshop.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but if I output a 16 bit file from C1, the actual data in it will be the same regardless of the profile it is tagged with?   Isn't it odd that Capture One (which is color managed) has no issue displaying the same data with no problems at all, but photoshop does (when tagged with certain colorspace profiles)?  The above poster makes a comment about "munging", but this seems rather non-technical, why would C1 do things different than photoshop?  How would it know?  

And also then, why would photoshop display fine if the profile is tagged with my monitor's profile even if I then convert to Adobe RGB or sRGB once there.  The problem only occurs if the file was *already tagged* with one of those before opening the image.

There is another test that craigwashburn can do, in a color managed application: substitution of sRGB profile to monitor profile. If the image is good ==> monitor profile is wrong.

Do you mean open an sRGB (posterized) image, convert to monitor profile and see if it changes?  I did this in photoshop - no change, still appears posterized.

I've attached my monitor profile to this if anyone wants to take a look.  I'm not familiar with analysis of profiles so any help is appreciated.

also, when I browse the adobe rgb or srgb tagged output files in C1, it does not show any posterization.  they show exactly as I want them to.  Thus far, it is only a photoshop phenomenon.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:59:10 pm by craigwashburn »

jbrembat

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 04:38:05 am »

Typical oddly desaturated result that you see on web pictures. 

It is not typical, it happens if the image is in a large color space, not sRGB.
That mean your image is not in the sRGB color space. Review the file production settings.
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but if I output a 16 bit file from C1, the actual data in it will be the same regardless of the profile it is tagged with?

Sorry, you are wrong. The output file RGB numbers relevant to a color space must be transformed to different numbers to represent the same color in a different color space.
 I do not understand well what you mean by "tagged". Is C1 able to deliver the image in custom selected color space? Sorry, I do not know C1.
a 16 bit file from C1
Why at any time you remember the bit depth, do you think is relevant for color management?

Isn't it odd that Capture One (which is color managed) has no issue displaying the same data with no problems at all, but photoshop does (when tagged with certain colorspace profiles)?
Not odd if you think that C1 knows very well the color space of the image. It seems that PS has an incorrect reference for the image RGB values.
Do you mean open an sRGB (posterized) image, convert to monitor profile and see if it changes?
No. I mean use sRGB profile for monitor profile. No conversion.
But before jumping to incorrect monitor profile conclusion, we have to start analyzing the "web desaturation", something wrong happen in file production.

I am not able to download the profile. But now would be more interesting if you can post an image from C1 in sRGB  color space.

Jacopo

craigwashburn

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:38:46 pm »

It is not typical, it happens if the image is in a large color space, not sRGB.
That mean your image is not in the sRGB color space. Review the file production settings.

The image is most definitely in sRGB.  The effect is slight, but there.  It is a slight desaturation in certain hues compared to displaying the image in a color managed application like photoshop.  I have noticed this effect on every monitor I've ever used.  Some are more noticable than others, it is probably as you say, a gamut issue.

Why at any time you remember the bit depth, do you think is relevant for color management?

I was trying to avoid the obvious dismissal some posters would make that an 8 bit image could be the source of posterization.  Since I mostly work in 16, it would not be that.  Just getting it out of the way!

I am not able to download the profile. But now would be more interesting if you can post an image from C1 in sRGB  color space.

I'm not in my studio at the moment, but will post one here later.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 03:06:42 pm »

A non-color-managed application is not affected at all from monitor profile.

Bulls&%^. Windows uses the color profile to kinda-sorta make the monitor interpret all RGB images as sRGB. In case you haven't noticed, when the profile is loaded into Windows, the monitor appearance changes. That is all non-color managed apps being affected (although not completely correctly) by the monitor profile. The windows desktop is not a color managed  program, but it is most certainly affected when a monitor profile is successfully loaded.

I think you have some wrong understanding on what color management is.

Look in the mirror, for the reason I just mentioned.

The last chance is to post the monitor profile and I can inspect it.

It's strange: I know so many guys  thinking  that they are  true color scientist .

You're one of them. Looking at the monitor profile can be useful if you have a good gamut plotter and know what you're looking for, like an unusually narrow gamut in the problem color range, (the most likely cause of the problem, given that every other monitor has no problems) but using an uncalibrated display to judge the correctness of a calibrated display is an intrinsically stupid idea. The whole point of the calibration is to compare the monitor to a fixed standard; visually comparing to an uncalibrated monitor (or the same monitor in an uncalibrated state) is pointless.

BTW, I've been using color management for years, I have a GMB EyeOne spectrophotometer, and have done color management consulting, profiling numerous monitors and printers to a high degree of color accuracy, including large format printers. I have a collection of prints of the same image printed with several different printers that I profiled, and all are identical to each other, and match all the monitors I've calibrated. If I can get 10 monitors and 10 printers to all match each other after calibration and profiling, maybe I know a thing or two about color management.

Try Google for details, but it is a device capable of measuring to the nearest 1/10000 of an inch.

Back to the poster's issue:
When converting an RGB image tagged with the monitor profile to the monitor profile, no RGB number conversion is done in a color managed app because the input and out profiles are the same. If you convert the file to monitor profile, by definition no colors can be out of gamut any more, because the image color space and gamut now exactly match the output space and gamut. Its the same concept as converting a copy of a file to a printer profile to deal with out-of-gamut colors. If you use perceptual rendering intent, out-of-gamut colors are squeezed into gamut, and some in-gamut colors are desaturated so that there is a smooth transition from the most saturated to the least saturated colors in the image. With relative or absolute colorimetric rendering, the colors are accurately translated all the way to the edge of the gamut, and then all out-of-gamut colors are simply mapped to the nearest in-gamut color, which can result in posterization, banding, or large detail-free areas of block colors. IIRC, the internal rendering intent for sending color managed image data to the display is relative colorimetric, which can result in exactly what the OP is complaining about.

Another possibility is that the images are 8-bit. If the profile has to do a lot of work to correct odd monitor characteristics (which will show up as kinks in the gamma curves when displaying the profile after calibration) then converting the image RGB data to the correct monitor RGB values can cause quantization errors of sufficient magnitude to be visible as posterization and banding. Try reprocessing the image from the RAW with identical settings, except in 16-bit mode instead of 8-bit mode, and see if the problem goes away. If so, you've just learned one of the reasons why editing 16-bit as much as possible is superior to doing so in 8-bit mode.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 03:34:25 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

jbrembat

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »

make the monitor interpret all RGB images as sRGB
Black magic. Are you able to explain it.? Is is not true.

Definition of non color managed application: an applications that ignores color profiles.
In other words RGB values are sent to the monitor without any transform.
The windows desktop is not a color managed program, but it is most certainly affected when a monitor profile is successfully loaded.
Probably the change in appearance, if you have one, is due to calibration. Calibrating and profiling are different things.
Looking at the monitor profile can be useful if you have a good gamut plotter and know what you're looking for, like an unusually narrow gamut in the problem color range, (the most likely cause of the problem, given that every other monitor has no problems) but using an uncalibrated display to judge the correctness of a calibrated display is an intrinsically stupid idea. The whole point of the calibration is to compare the monitor to a fixed standard; visually comparing to an uncalibrated monitor (or the same monitor in an uncalibrated state) is pointless.
I have my tools (I do color management) and I am able to inspect
 primaries
 white point
 matrices and or 3D CLUT
I can test numerically a profile..... and so on.

I found that a monitor profile was wrong in a very simple way:
I built a blue patch and verified that the profile renders it as violet.
I posted the blue patch and asked to the monitor owner to verify the color in his browser. He said: the patch is blue. So, the monitor was able to show blue, but the profile was'nt ==> wrong profile.
I know it. The question was: what is your equivalent in color management?
then all out-of-gamut colors are simply mapped to the nearest in-gamut color, which can result in posterization
Following ICC specs, in relative or absolute rendering, out of gamut colors are clipped to the gamut borders.
I know that some V2 profilers introduce a tonal mapping near the borders. But if this is the case and the result is posterization ==> the profile is wrong
I prefer not to speak about the 16 bit myth. craigwashburn said the image is 16 bit sRGB. I believe he knows.

Jacopo

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 06:33:55 pm »

Black magic. Are you able to explain it.? Is is not true.

Definition of non color managed application: an applications that ignores color profiles.
In other words RGB values are sent to the monitor without any transform.

Probably the change in appearance, if you have one, is due to calibration. Calibrating and profiling are different things.

It.s NOT black magic. It is both true, and easily explained. It's due to the video LUT (look up table) values being altered by information from the profile when the profile is loaded...strange a CM "expert" does not know this, as this is kindergarten-level color management stuff. The purpose of video LUTs is to provide a means to compensate for nonlinear behavior in the chain of signals and devices between the video card DACs and the light emitted from the monitor.

When you set the white and black points of a monitor during the calibration & profiling process, this is accomplished by taking measurements from the calibration device and doing calculations to determine what LUT values are necessary so that RGB 0,0,0 results in a neutral BP at the selected luminosity and color temp, and RGB 255,255,255 results in a WP of the correct color temp and luminosity. Intermediate LUT values are also calulated to accomplish the following things:

1. Any given R=G=B value sent to the video card will result in a neutral (as defined by the selected color temp) color being displayed by the monitor.

2. Increasing R=G=B values will increase monitor luminosity along the selected monitor gamma curve (usually 2.2) between the white and black points.

Once the LUT table values have been calculated, the profile is generated and saved with the LUT table attached. Whenever the profile is loaded, the attached LUT table is sent to the video card. The LUT converts the 8-bit values sent to the video card to the corresponding values necessary for the monitor to behave according to the 2 principles stated above.

So while the 8-bit RGB values are sent directly to the video card, the LUT output values that correspond to these input values have been altered from the defaults (output = input) before being sent to the DACs that output the analog VGA video signal to the monitor (analog DB15 connection) or being sent directly to the monitor digitally (DVI or HDMI connection), based on data from the profile.

Bottom line is that loading a monitor profile loads new data into the video card LUTs, which then affects the display of all managed and unmanaged colors in all programs. Given that sRGB was originally designed to more or less approximate the "average" color characteristics of display monitors, and many monitors are manufactured to approximate the color characteristics of the sRGB color space, successfully loading the profile data into the video LUT means that with most monitors, color-unmanaged apps display sRGB images fairly accurately. This is why the preferred method to output an image for web display is to convert it to sRGB. Most uncalibrated monitors (AKA the majority of web users) will display sRGB image data with much greater color accuracy than if the image is ProPhoto or Adobe RGB.

I have my tools (I do color management) and I am able to inspect
 primaries
 white point
 matrices and or 3D CLUT
I can test numerically a profile..... and so on.

I found that a monitor profile was wrong in a very simple way:
I built a blue patch and verified that the profile renders it as violet.
I posted the blue patch and asked to the monitor owner to verify the color in his browser. He said: the patch is blue. So, the monitor was able to show blue, but the profile was'nt ==> wrong profile.

That test could very well prove the opposite of what you are claiming. If Photoshop is using something other than the default monitor profile as it's display output profile (this can happen if preferences file gets corrupted), but the "suspect" profile is correctly set as the Windows default and is correctly loaded into the video card LUT, you've just made a completely incorrect diagnosis. In this case, the LUT adjustments from the "suspect" monitor profile ensure that the patch is displayed correctly enough that it is identified as "blue" instead of "violet", but Photoshop is using the wrong profile to do its RGB conversions for color managed display, and thereby displays the color incorrectly.

If the profile is correctly loaded into the video LUT, and color-unmanaged apps display more accurate color than color-managed ones, the color-managed apps most likely have a configuration error in their color management settings.

I know it. The question was: what is your equivalent in color management?

A spectrophotometer, of course.

Following ICC specs, in relative or absolute rendering, out of gamut colors are clipped to the gamut borders.
I know that some V2 profilers introduce a tonal mapping near the borders. But if this is the case and the result is posterization ==> the profile is wrong

You've got the problem backwards. When tonal mapping is done (converting image to monitor profile in Capture One) there is no posterization. But when gamut mapping is NOT done (simple viewing certain saturated colors in a color-managed app) then posterization appears. This (along with the fact that the problem happens only on one monitor on one machine) makes poor monitor gamut the most likely problem. If user error was to blame, the odds are that more than one machine and monitor would be causing problems. If the spectrophotometer was bad, all monitors calibrated/profiled with it would exhibit similar bad color characteristics and profile issues.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 06:53:18 pm by Jonathan Wienke »

jbrembat

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 06:58:16 am »

It's due to the video LUT (look up table) values being altered by information from the profile
Not from profile, but from file that includes the profile. There is a big dfference.

The LUT is calibration stuff. It is not part of the color space profile, as I said. In a file containing a profile you can add propetary tag and save additional information.
The LUT is loaded and then managed by videocard, what is Windows color role? None.

But you don't explain how is possible to
make the monitor interpret all RGB images as sRGB
the true black magic.

Given that sRGB was originally designed to more or less approximate the "average" color characteristics of display monitors, and many monitors are manufactured to approximate the color characteristics of the sRGB color space, successfully loading the profile data into the video LUT means that with most monitors, color-unmanaged apps display sRGB images fairly accurately. This is why the preferred method to output an image for web display is to convert it to sRGB. Most uncalibrated monitors (AKA the majority of web users) will display sRGB image data with much greater color accuracy than if the image is ProPhoto or Adobe RGB.
Things went a litle different. HP designed sRGB color space and HP and Microsoft promote the use of this color space. The idea was that if all the monitor color space are the same, all people see the same colors. Industry follows and most monitors are nearly sRGB. Of course if you successfully calibrate your monitor you can have a better rendition, but to see correctly an image with RGB values in some other color space you need a transform from the image color space to the monitor color space.
That test could very well prove the opposite of what you are claiming. If Photoshop is using something other than the default monitor profile
Sorry, the owner of the profile uses PhotoShop. I use PhotoResampling, my own product. I have a complete control of CMM. I converted blue from sRGB to monitor profile and get violet. Your hypothesis is not good for the specific case. Other people partecipating in forum see the same blue-violet problem. So my diagnosys was correct. Inspecting the profile I found a confirm: blue primary has a "strange" position in CIE_xy space.
the LUT adjustments from the "suspect" monitor profile .....
I think you mix videocard LUT and profile. Are different things.
A spectrophotometer, of course.
A spectrophotometer is only a component of profiling kit, a fundamental one.But, for example, it must profiling not obstructing the ambient illumination which must be included to obtain accurate measurements of veiling glare. Software is fundamental too. Profiling kit are not so perfect as you think.
You've got the problem backwards. When tonal mapping is done (converting image to monitor profile in Capture One) there is no posterization. But when gamut mapping is NOT done (simple viewing certain saturated colors in a color-managed app) then posterization appears
Gamut mapping  is done if profile do it. A color managed application do convert from image profile to monitor profile. Wat do you mean by when gamut mapping is NOT done (simple viewing.... ?

In any case, I'm not sure that craigwashburn profile is wrong. Without image and profile it is only a hypothesis.
It seems that you trust so much in profiling tool that discard anywhay the hypothesis. That is the difference.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 08:26:43 am »

Not from profile, but from file that includes the profile. There is a big dfference.

The LUT is calibration stuff. It is not part of the color space profile, as I said. In a file containing a profile you can add propetary tag and save additional information.
The LUT is loaded and then managed by videocard, what is Windows color role? None.

You're making pointless arguments to try to avoid looking foolish now. The LUT data is not merely included in the monitor profile, loading it correctly is essential to ensure the profile is valid. If the LUT data is not loaded into the video card, the profile is meaningless, because the monitor is in a different state than when the profiling measurements were taken.

But you don't explain how is possible to
"make the monitor interpret all RGB images as sRGB."
the true black magic.

First of all, you are misquoting me. The complete sentence I wrote was "Windows uses the color profile to kinda-sorta make the monitor interpret all RGB images as sRGB." And I bloody well did explain what I was talking about, too, how the LUT data in the video card sets the desired BP, WP, and gamma curve, and enforces R=G=B neutrality, and how most monitors are designed to approximate sRGB, and all that, as you appear to be trying to rebut below:

Things went a litle different. HP designed sRGB color space and HP and Microsoft promote the use of this color space. The idea was that if all the monitor color space are the same, all people see the same colors. Industry follows and most monitors are nearly sRGB. Of course if you successfully calibrate your monitor you can have a better rendition, but to see correctly an image with RGB values in some other color space you need a transform from the image color space to the monitor color space.

I never said that calibration alone makes a monitor follow sRGB exactly, just that it will generally get you fairly close (the "kinda-sorta" bit you keep leaving out); not perfect, but a big improvement over doing nothing with the monitor at all. Calibration gets you close, then profile + color managed app gets you the rest of the way to accurate colors.

Sorry, the owner of the profile uses PhotoShop. I use PhotoResampling, my own product. I have a complete control of CMM. I converted blue from sRGB to monitor profile and get violet. Your hypothesis is not good for the specific case. Other people partecipating in forum see the same blue-violet problem. So my diagnosys was correct. Inspecting the profile I found a confirm: blue primary has a "strange" position in CIE_xy space.

That case has nothing to do with the OP's situation, so why do you keep bringing it up? I've already demonstrated that your test doesn't prove a bad profile anyway, depending on the specifics of the situation.

A spectrophotometer is only a component of profiling kit, a fundamental one.But, for example, it must profiling not obstructing the ambient illumination which must be included to obtain accurate measurements of veiling glare. Software is fundamental too. Profiling kit are not so perfect as you think.

Gamut mapping  is done if profile do it. A color managed application do convert from image profile to monitor profile. Wat do you mean by when gamut mapping is NOT done (simple viewing.... ?

In any case, I'm not sure that craigwashburn profile is wrong. Without image and profile it is only a hypothesis.
It seems that you trust so much in profiling tool that discard anywhay the hypothesis. That is the difference.

You really have some weird ideas about monitor profiling. Every monitor measuring device I've ever seen is designed to block glare from ambient light sources from reaching the part of the monitor where measurements ate being taken, because it is impossible to get meaningful measurement readings through a glare. The more advanced tools (like Eye-One spectro) allow a separate reading of ambient light color temp and intensity to account for ambient light's effect on the monitor image, but measuring through a glare is outright foolish. With cheaper, more poorly designed devices that fail to block the glare well, (the original Colorvision Spyder was quite bad in this regard) dimming or extinguishing the lights completely is the only way to get a reasonably accurate monitor profile.

I've already explained why a bad profile and bad measuring device at much less likely than a monitor issue. But just to humor you, I'll reiterate:

If the measurement device was bad, the probability is high that other monitors calibrated and profiled with the same device would exhibit similar symptoms. But they do not. Therefore, the measuring device is probably good.\

Since the measuring device is most likely good, and multiple attempts were made at profiling, all with similar results, the profile is probably good as well. A single measurement error wouldn't cause the same problem in multiple profiles.

Similarly, if the problem was user error, it is likely that one or more of his other machines would be having color management difficulties.

A narrow-gamut monitor situation fits all of the problem criteria specified. The result is consistent in spite of numerous attempts to reprofile. No other monitors exhibit the undesired behavior. And converting image RGB to monitor RGB values in a color-managed app is done with Relative Colorimetric rendering intent, which converts all out-of-gamut colors to the nearest in-gamut color without doing the gamut mapping that happens with Perceptual rendering intent (desaturating in-gamut colors to make room for out-of-gamut colors).

The most effective process for troubleshooting problems is to start with the most likely cause, either confirm or rule it out, and go on on to the next most likely cause if necessary.

jbrembat

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 09:58:58 am »

That case has nothing to do with the OP's situation, so why do you keep bringing it up?
It is just an example. In that case I was alone until the wrong profile was accepted.
I do'nt know if this is the case but what you think  is the most likely cause, in my long experience is not.
I saw so many wrong monitor profiles ..... Try reading some notes from ICC. they have the same perception.

Jacopo

...Ah just a final note: if relative intent collapse the out of gamut colors to gamut borders there is no way to have posterization.

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 11:16:24 am »

...Ah just a final note: if relative intent collapse the out of gamut colors to gamut borders there is no way to have posterization.
It doesn't. Perceptual does. Which is why the Capture One Perceptual conversion to monitor profile workaround solves the problem; any out-of-gamut-colors are being squeezed into gamut, with in-gamut colors being shifted to make room for them.

craigwashburn

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 09:57:17 pm »

It doesn't. Perceptual does. Which is why the Capture One Perceptual conversion to monitor profile workaround solves the problem; any out-of-gamut-colors are being squeezed into gamut, with in-gamut colors being shifted to make room for them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm fairly certain now it is mostly a narrow gamut monitor profile.  I downloaded the windows color utility from microsoft to compare gamut plots and it is somewhat smaller than other profiles.  Interestingly, comparing a LaCie electron crt is almost, but not quite matching up with sRGB... but anyway
 Uncalibrated, the notebook display is quite blue and EyeOne shows it has to bend the blue curve around a bit to get it balanced.  Pity.

This does intrigue me though about photoshop using relative color intent internally for display purposes - is there a way to have it use perceptual instead?  

For the most part, its simply more annoying than anything.  All the data is there, and prints fine, i just get the cringing willies when looking at certain transitions on the notebook.

PeterLange

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 10:48:09 am »

The problem I have is that skin tones in the orangeish-red area posterize in Photoshop CS and also CS3 when my image's profile is Adobe RGB or sRGB.

Aside from the usual suspects i.e.
/> too much calibration work imposed on the video card for WP/CT and gamma corrections
/> or, clipping of out-of-gamut colors to the surface of a smaller monitor space,

did you perhaps disable the Use Dither option among Photoshop’s Color Settings?
Just guessing…

Peter

--

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 01:37:16 pm »

did you perhaps disable the Use Dither option among Photoshop’s Color Settings?
That's only applicable to 8-bit images...

Jonathan Wienke

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 01:44:43 pm »

This does intrigue me though about photoshop using relative color intent internally for display purposes - is there a way to have it use perceptual instead?
AFAIK, no. The reason is that perceptual rendering intent causes colors close to the edge of gamut, but still in gamut, to be rendered inaccurately. You don't get as much ugliness when an image has colors out of monitor gamut, but the monitor is less useful a tool to judge colors because colors toward the edges of gamut are displayed with increasing inaccuracy. A better option is to use the Desaturate Monitor Colors By ___% option in Photoshop's color settings. The monitor image will become less saurated by the percent specified, but the effect will be consistent across the board.

craigwashburn

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 02:22:47 pm »

AFAIK, no. The reason is that perceptual rendering intent causes colors close to the edge of gamut, but still in gamut, to be rendered inaccurately. You don't get as much ugliness when an image has colors out of monitor gamut, but the monitor is less useful a tool to judge colors because colors toward the edges of gamut are displayed with increasing inaccuracy. A better option is to use the Desaturate Monitor Colors By ___% option in Photoshop's color settings. The monitor image will become less saurated by the percent specified, but the effect will be consistent across the board.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wouldn't this be overall more inaccurate though?  ie, If I'm working on a desaturated image here, and load it elsewhere, will it be more saturated (and thus, not what I was expecting)
Pages: [1]   Go Up