Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Yellowstone Plan so far - your thoughts needed  (Read 9894 times)

pepino

My Yellowstone Plan so far - your thoughts needed
« on: July 09, 2007, 06:57:52 pm »

We have planned at trip to YS and GTNP starting Sept 20th-25th. I need a little help planning my days out. I want to plan the days based around photography and being at spots at the best time of day for shooting photos.
I have a plan but i dont know how much can seen in one day, especially considering i will be taking photos and stopping alot. We will be staying at Snow Lodge for 3 nights.
Ideally i would like to be at a different location for each days sunrise and sunset.
Any help with best times of day to see certain location, the most logical routes to follow, how best to slip up my days so i can be at different (and great) locations for each sunset and sunrise. I would like to see as much as possible on this short trip and i REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give me.
My plan is outlined below and is very rough.
Day 1
--------
Arrive in Jackson Airport at Noon, get rental car and drive to Flagg Ranch. Take the Jackson Highway and stop at the Old Barns, Schwabacher Landing, Snake River Overlook, Triangle X Ranch, Cunningham Cabin, and finally Oxbow Bend.
From there follow theTeton Park Road back down to Moose Junction stopping at Chapel of Sacred Heart, Signal Mountain, Mt. Moran Turnout, Cathedral Group Turnout, Jenny Lake overlook, Kepler Cascades, and a few more locations.
Then take the highway back up to Oxbow Bend for sunset photos. After that head up to Flagg Ranch for the night, stopping at various spots along the route.
Day 2
----------
Leave Flagg Ranch early in the morning and drive to Old Faithful Area with stops at Moose Falls, Lewis Falls, Lewis Lake, West Thumb Geyser Basin, and continuing on to Old Failthful with a few more stops along the way.
Check into Snow Lodge then walk around Old Faithful Area, Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Upper Geyser Basin, Midway Geyser Basin, and Lower Geyser Basin areas.
Then head back to Old FaithFul for sunset.
Day 3
---------
Leave Snow Lodge early for Mammoth Hot Springs, stopping at Gibbon Falls, Monument Geyser Basin, Artist Paintpots, Norris Geyser Basin, Roaring Mountain, Sheepeater Cliffs. Walk around Mammoth for most of the day. Leave mammoth in the afternoon and head to Tower-Roosevelt with stops at Undine Falls, Wraith Falls?, and a few other stops. From Tower head down to Canyon and photography the falls in the area. Then head to Fishing Bridge and Area for sunset. Head back to Snow Lodge. this plan may be too much for one day.
Day 4
---------
This is up i the air. We really want to drive the Beartooth. Maybe get up very very early and drive up to the Northeast entrance. and then Drive the Beartooth back into the park. Im not sure how to actually do this or if its possible. How can i drive from Old Faithful out of the park and then take the Beartooth one way back into the park? After the Beartooth we will head back to the Old Faithful area stopping at various spots and seeing things we may have missed. Need some help with this day.
Day 5
--------
More shots of Old Faithful area and geysers during the early morning, then head back to Jackson Airport. Maybe we will skip Old Faithful area And try to be at a different location for Sunrise. On the way to Jackson we'll stop at the locations we missed at the start of the trip. Leave Jackson and fly home at 5pm
This plan may be pretty rediculous, but i don't know, maybe its not. I just need some help figuring out how much time i need to see everything.
Your help is very very much appreciated!!!!!

X-Re

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 08:27:01 pm »

I just got back from Yellowstone. I'm sure being there in the height of summer makes a difference - but some things will still hold true in September.

I had thoughts of a similar schedule to yours, but in the end, I was wildly aggressive in my planning, and for a couple of reasons...

First, travel time between places is longer than it looks. The speed limit is a max of 45mph, and you'll typically make a lot less than that. Any time a bison, elk, or bear gets somewhere near the road, you have an immediate traffic jam  And, its a long way between sections of the park. We stayed in Gardiner, which is about 5 miles away from Mammoth Hot Springs right outside the north entrance to the park. It took over 2.5 hours from there to reach Old Faithful due to the travel time thing (its like 51 miles between Mammoth and Old Faithful). YMMV, depending on the number of folks in the park... Be aware of that, though, when preparing to be in certain places at specific times. And, be sure to extrapolate the Old Faithful eruption times to figure when to be back in plenty of time to catch the eruption closest to sunset if that's what you're going to do.

I spent four hours in the Upper Geyser Basin - caught several different eruptions, actually - and still could have spent more time there. I unfortunately missed Midway (really wanted to see Grand Prismatic... oh well, next time) and the other basins. I think I could probably spend two days doing Geyser basins - but, then, I'm fascinated with abstracts and all the different bacteria and calciferous deposits and such, so...

As far as Old Faithful goes, I only caught one eruption, and its the typical geyser only composition. Perhaps mundane, but hey, it was my first time  I have ideas for several others for next time - explore the options!!

Several features of the park need specific lighting to catch them best. The pools and springs really need mid-day sun to get the best colors - basically, from late morning to early afternoon. Several of the waterfalls need mid-day sun to have the whole fall lit, as well. I didn't get good shots of Undine falls due to the this, and there are some shadows on the lower falls when I was there... We did the Uncle Tom's Trail hike down to the base of the Lower Falls, and the whole fall was in shade at that point, about 4pm - it'll happen earlier when you're there.

This book was suggested by folks on this forum, and definitely came in handy for figuring a lot of the lighting out: http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-...84026036&sr=8-3

There's not a whole lot photogenic at Norris Geyser Basin. Frankly, the Artist Paint Pots were a disappointment - you have to take a 1/2 mile hike back to them, and then its basically one big mudpot, and that's it. I did get some shots that will make interesting B&W fare, but I'm not sure I'll go back there... The Fountain Paint Pots might be a better bet? Roaring Mountain is neat looking, but didn't seem photogenic to me - if I took a closer look, I might decide differently, but... Sheepeater Cliffs was intersting looking - it won't get much direct light, though, it seems - it was in shade every time we went by there. If you need extra time, those might be things to consider dropping.

Mammoth Hot Springs is probably better at the beginning or end of the day, and different parts of the springs are better depending on time of day. The warmer light helps them out. Also, don't miss Rustic Falls as you drive through the Golden Gate - but there may not be enough runoff at that time to have much of a falls. It was fairly sparse when I was there - and it still should have been flowing, at that point.

When I was there, the trail to the base of Tower Falls was closed halfway down - with no sign at the top warning you of that fact  Be aware

To really do Canyon, you need a good half day, and you want to be there in the middle of the day - the best shots of the falls involve some fairly strenuous hiking. Red Rock Point is the most direct view of the lower falls. The brink of the Lower Falls is supposed to be nice - we skipped that one. Uncle Tom's Trail was worthwhile, but was the most strenuous of them, and also the most disorienting during the climb and descent on the metal stairways. Very awe inspiring view of those falls from the bottom, though.

Undine Falls needs overhead light, as well

If you want to drive the Beartooth back in to the park, you can exit the northeast entrance, and drive the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway, connect back up to Red Lodge, and then come south over the Beartooth. However, the Beartooth is going to be best in morning light, and you're in danger of missing it by taking that route, unless you leave really early. We drove it on the way out of the park, and that was very acceptable, as well. Something to consider - you could circle down and drive the Chief Joseph in the other direction, and come right back to the northeast entrance. Also, if you want shots of bison, the Lamar Valley has tons of them - I have to imagine it looks as the great plains did before the buffalo were eradicated....

If you make it to Gardiner, there's a great Italian restaurant there

Next time I go, I will plan the trip well in advance, so that we can stay each day in the area closest to what we intend to see. Seems to be the best way to get in the morning or evening light, and still see what we want to, etc...

Yellowstone is beautiful. I intend to do GTNP and also Glacier sometime in the future. It'd be great to have a couple of weeks to burn between the three!

Enjoy your trip!

Dave
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

nma

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:47:10 pm »

We have planned at trip to YS and GTNP starting Sept 20th-25th. I need a little help planning my days out. I want to plan the days based around photography and being at spots at the best time of day for shooting photos.
I have a plan but i dont know how much can seen in one day, especially considering i will be taking photos and stopping alot. We will be staying at Snow Lodge for 3 nights.
Ideally i would like to be at a different location for each days sunrise and sunset.
Any help with best times of day to see certain location, the most logical routes to follow, how best to slip up my days so i can be at different (and great) locations for each sunset and sunrise. I would like to see as much as possible on this short trip and i REALLY appreciate any help you guys can give me.
My plan is outlined below and is very rough.
Day 1
--------
Arrive in Jackson Airport at Noon, get rental car and drive to Flagg Ranch. Take the Jackson Highway and stop at the Old Barns, Schwabacher Landing, Snake River Overlook, Triangle X Ranch, Cunningham Cabin, and finally Oxbow Bend.
From there follow theTeton Park Road back down to Moose Junction stopping at Chapel of Sacred Heart, Signal Mountain, Mt. Moran Turnout, Cathedral Group Turnout, Jenny Lake overlook, Kepler Cascades, and a few more locations.
Then take the highway back up to Oxbow Bend for sunset photos. After that head up to Flagg Ranch for the night, stopping at various spots along the route.
Day 2
----------
Leave Flagg Ranch early in the morning and drive to Old Faithful Area with stops at Moose Falls, Lewis Falls, Lewis Lake, West Thumb Geyser Basin, and continuing on to Old Failthful with a few more stops along the way.
Check into Snow Lodge then walk around Old Faithful Area, Black Sand Basin, Biscuit Basin, Upper Geyser Basin, Midway Geyser Basin, and Lower Geyser Basin areas.
Then head back to Old FaithFul for sunset.
Day 3
---------
Leave Snow Lodge early for Mammoth Hot Springs, stopping at Gibbon Falls, Monument Geyser Basin, Artist Paintpots, Norris Geyser Basin, Roaring Mountain, Sheepeater Cliffs. Walk around Mammoth for most of the day. Leave mammoth in the afternoon and head to Tower-Roosevelt with stops at Undine Falls, Wraith Falls?, and a few other stops. From Tower head down to Canyon and photography the falls in the area. Then head to Fishing Bridge and Area for sunset. Head back to Snow Lodge. this plan may be too much for one day.
Day 4
---------
This is up i the air. We really want to drive the Beartooth. Maybe get up very very early and drive up to the Northeast entrance. and then Drive the Beartooth back into the park. Im not sure how to actually do this or if its possible. How can i drive from Old Faithful out of the park and then take the Beartooth one way back into the park? After the Beartooth we will head back to the Old Faithful area stopping at various spots and seeing things we may have missed. Need some help with this day.
Day 5
--------
More shots of Old Faithful area and geysers during the early morning, then head back to Jackson Airport. Maybe we will skip Old Faithful area And try to be at a different location for Sunrise. On the way to Jackson we'll stop at the locations  we missed at the start of the trip. Leave Jackson and fly home at 5pm
This plan may be pretty rediculous, but i don't know, maybe its not. I just need some help figuring out how much time i need to see everything.
Your help is very very much appreciated!!!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am afraid that I have to echo XRE. Your schedule is wildly optimistic so far as time is concerned.  For example, you won't be able to do the Day 1 itinerary.  There are too many stops and not enough time.  In many of the places, early afternoon is not going to be photographically satisfying.  I can't quite visualize sunset at Oxbow bend, but I recall that the sun sets behind the high peaks and unless the atmospherics are great, it just goes kerplunk, with long deep shadows on the river.  I think sunrise is the better time.

pepino

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 09:03:55 pm »

Dave,
THANK YOU! Thank you very much for taking the time to write you post for me. It is very helpful and is the exact type of info i was looking for! Artist point will be closed when i am there, as well as the south rim road (trail?). I also thing the north road (trail?) will be closed as well for construction. Uncle Toms trail will be open however.

I hear mixed things about Norris. I have heard people say its not really that great and i should use that time i better locations, but i have also heard people say it was one of their favorite locations. So i may just make that choice when i get there.

Thanks for the info on the Beartooth! I have looked at a few maps and i am still a little confused about how to get there. I did see something about Chief Joseph's but was not really sure if that was an option. I do like the idea of taking Chief Joseph's out to Red Lodge and then back into the park via the Beartooth. I also ready that its best to do it before noon for better lighting. I think we will probably get up very very early and try to to the Beartooth as you mentioned.

Thanks again so much for the info!!!!!
joe

cmburns

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 11:29:41 pm »

Like the others said, your way optomistic on seeing everything. I was in Jackson Hole and Yellowstone 10 days ago, it was a madhouse. Part of the problem seemed to be a lack of animals compared to when I was there in 2005. I was at Oxbow at sunset and one family stopped and sent there kid over to see if I was taking a picture of an animal or not. In Yellowstone there was a huge traffic jam going in the west entrance one day. I though man there must be a herd of buffalo up on the road. Turned out to be one female elk laying close to the road.

Oxbow at sunset is pretty hit or miss. You can get a nice reflection shot, and stick around for after sundown, you might get some nice red then.
Sunrise you need to be at the Mormon Barns, or Schwabacher landing. Then head up to Yellowstone. If you have a cloudy day shoot waterfalls and paintpots, if it's sunny, go for thing like Morning Glory and grand prismatic spring. We walked maybe a half mile, probably not even that far back behind grand prismatic spring, went off the trail and up a hill there(there's a trail from enough other people having a similar idea), and got to a spot with  great view of the whole thing, it's up on the hill in the photo here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GPSyellowstone1.jpg
You wouldn't think there's anywhere to see it all without a tree in the way but there is. While I was up there a German sounding guy came up and also took some photos. He said he was there before the fire back in the 80's and you couldn't see this, so that's one tiny good thing the fire did. If the park had a brain they would build stairs and a platform on the hill because it is a tremendous view.
I too wanted to do the beartooth highway loop but I just didn't think it was possible without killing a whole day I didn't have. The bears and wolves are predominately in that northeast part of the park.

Maybe make a list of things you really want to see, not neccessarily photograph, because it's not like you're going to get any original shot of anything easy to get to in Yellowstone, practically everything has been done to death. Some things just go to, realize it's mid-day and the lighting sucks but your still lucky to be there able to see it at anytime, snap your tourist quality shot, take the time to really enjoy it for yourself and then go on to the next place. I feel this way about Old Faithful, if it's going off anytime soon when i'm there i'm going to wait for it, but not really care about taking a photo, 10,000 other people are doing that, mines not going to be apreciably better. For once I just get to sit and enjoy something and not worry about capturing it just right.

pepino

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 01:21:43 am »

I do agree and think im pretty optimistic, but again, its because i have never been there before and have no idea about how long things take. Thanks for the tip about the hill at GPS! i will check it out. Was it easy to locate the little trail? Thank you guys for you input it is very very helpful to me.

Let me ask you guys, if you had the amount of time i will have, what are the top 10 or so locations that should for sure not be missed, and what time would you like to be at that location for the best lighting? Maybe also list things that i should pass by and not stop at (unless its quick). X-re already mentioned a few. Or, what you are top locations for sunrise, morning, early evening, and sunset?

Thanks again everyone, you don't know how much your info helps me. I would probably be driving around like a madman in Yellowstone trying to get to all these places!

etrump

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 09:05:47 am »

Ditto on everything:

September is not nearly as busy as the summertime and most of the people you will be bumping into are photographers.    Having said that, I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and it was not enough time to do everything you have planned in one week.  The area is MUCH larger than it seems so drive times take forever.  Even with no traffic you will average about 30 MPH at best.  Another thing to remember is that there will be a lot of FOG in Yellowstone in the mornings which adds to the drive time.

A few items to think about:

1. You simply have to visit Oxbow Bend for sunrise, sunset and 11am or so.  At 11 am with a polarizer that time of year can be magical.  

2. sunrise locations get packed that time of year so you have to get up EARLY for your choice of spot.  I'm talking a couple hours before sunrise.  You will see 50+ at oxbow, a dozen or so fighting for the classic spots at Schubacker Landing, etc.

3. The weather is going to be your biggest enemy at sunrise in the tetons.

4. Pick one or two of your dream shots and work those.  I have not been able to return, but just like Yosemite, some guys go back every year for years.  I went just after I started photography and both my wife and I are really anxious to get back.

5. The road from west yellowstone to the loop is fantastic for wildlife with fog in the morning and warm light in the late afternoon you can't go wrong.

6. Hitchmans newsletters on Yellowstone are fantastic as is the PhotoTravel Guide which gives you timelines.

Yellowstone and Tetons are so fantastic and surreal you feel like you are in a movie.   It simply seems too awe inspiring to be real.
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

X-Re

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:13 am »

Thanks for the info on the Beartooth! I have looked at a few maps and i am still a little confused about how to get there.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127357\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I double checked - take northeast exit (Hwy 212) into Cooke City. You'll go through the Lamar Valley. You'll encounter a turn off past Cooke City for 296 - the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (aka Sunlight Basin Rd.). Follow 296 all over the place until you encounter 120. That stretch of "all over the place" is the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway  Take 120 north to Belfry (it turns into 72 along the way). In Belfry, take 308 west to Red Lodge. Then take 212 (the Beartooth Highway) south back into the park.

I found the light in summer time was about gone around 10:30 - at least, that magical morning light you're looking for. I have no idea what the timing will be like in September - but with the sun coming up later and setting earlier, you may very well be right about the timing. Coming from Gardiner, we left the hotel at 5am, before actual sunrise, to get there directly...
Dave Re

pepino

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 10:08:00 am »

Awesome! thanks so much!! That sounds like a good route to me, i will try to check it on a map just so i can visualize where i'll be going. I'll have to double check on timing as well during the time i'll be there, but i think if we leave really early we will get some good lighting at sunset.

I double checked - take northeast exit (Hwy 212) into Cooke City. You'll go through the Lamar Valley. You'll encounter a turn off past Cooke City for 296 - the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway (aka Sunlight Basin Rd.). Follow 296 all over the place until you encounter 120. That stretch of "all over the place" is the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway  Take 120 north to Belfry (it turns into 72 along the way). In Belfry, take 308 west to Red Lodge. Then take 212 (the Beartooth Highway) south back into the park.

I found the light in summer time was about gone around 10:30 - at least, that magical morning light you're looking for. I have no idea what the timing will be like in September - but with the sun coming up later and setting earlier, you may very well be right about the timing. Coming from Gardiner, we left the hotel at 5am, before actual sunrise, to get there directly...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127430\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pepino

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 10:33:53 am »

eTrump,
Thanks for the info! very helpful! I think my next step is to come up with a list of "Must Sees" for my trip, and then anything else i will just have to see what i have time for. Oxbow and Schubacker are on the must see list. I may try to get to on of them on the way from the airport to Flagg Ranch for a sunset shot, and then see the other for sunrise on the way back to the airport on the last day for sunrise. Do you have any suggestions for sunrise/sunsets inside the park? thanks again!

Ditto on everything:

September is not nearly as busy as the summertime and most of the people you will be bumping into are photographers.    Having said that, I spent two weeks there a couple of years ago and it was not enough time to do everything you have planned in one week.  The area is MUCH larger than it seems so drive times take forever.  Even with no traffic you will average about 30 MPH at best.  Another thing to remember is that there will be a lot of FOG in Yellowstone in the mornings which adds to the drive time.

A few items to think about:

1. You simply have to visit Oxbow Bend for sunrise, sunset and 11am or so.  At 11 am with a polarizer that time of year can be magical. 

2. sunrise locations get packed that time of year so you have to get up EARLY for your choice of spot.  I'm talking a couple hours before sunrise.  You will see 50+ at oxbow, a dozen or so fighting for the classic spots at Schubacker Landing, etc.

3. The weather is going to be your biggest enemy at sunrise in the tetons.

4. Pick one or two of your dream shots and work those.  I have not been able to return, but just like Yosemite, some guys go back every year for years.  I went just after I started photography and both my wife and I are really anxious to get back.

5. The road from west yellowstone to the loop is fantastic for wildlife with fog in the morning and warm light in the late afternoon you can't go wrong.

6. Hitchmans newsletters on Yellowstone are fantastic as is the PhotoTravel Guide which gives you timelines.

Yellowstone and Tetons are so fantastic and surreal you feel like you are in a movie.   It simply seems too awe inspiring to be real.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127424\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

JoeCF

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:26 am »

FWIW,

There will be a group of photographers in Yellowstone during part of your stay.  They are planning on being there from the 16-20 of Sept with early arrivers and late departers.  The meeting place for these folks will be at the Clubhouse Inn in West Yellowstone.  

The participants are mostly from the DPReview website who are active in one of the fourms.  Hopefully this link will work:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=23367371

Some of these folks have been there many times, and might have some ideas for you.  

I am in GTNP right now, and do have to agree your posted schedule looks a little aggressive.  You need to accept the fact that you will not be able to see all of this area in a single week.  So try to be selective, read the guide books, and do not miss spending some time at Oxbow Bend.  The fall colors should be on when you are here and that is one spectacual view.

Just be sure to relax and enjoy what you do get the chance to see.  Too many people rush through here and end up missing the most important thing.  That is the tranquility.

pepino

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:34:32 pm »

Thanks Joe, i have been monitoring that forum. I will be with my parents while i am there so im not as free to meet up with the group. but it does sound very interesting and maybe i will be able to meetup with everyone.

pepino

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 12:35:10 pm »

Update

We are thinking of maybe cancelling one night at Snow Lodge and booking somewhere else to be closer to some of the other parts of the park. I was thinking about maybe somewhere in the Mammoth area would be good. That way we can cover the lower part of the figure 8 road while staying at old faithful and then the upper part while staying near Mammoth. Any ideas on what would be a good second location?

pepino

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 07:18:47 pm »

Nevermind, tower and canyon will be closed when we get there. but we are going to stay a night at mammoth and a night in red lodge

Update

We are thinking of maybe cancelling one night at Snow Lodge and booking somewhere else to be closer to some of the other parts of the park. I was thinking about maybe somewhere in the Mammoth area would be good. That way we can cover the lower part of the figure 8 road while staying at old faithful and then the upper part while staying near Mammoth. Any ideas on what would be a good second location?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

X-Re

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 02:59:26 pm »

Nevermind, tower and canyon will be closed when we get there. but we are going to stay a night at mammoth and a night in red lodge
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, that makes figuring out what to see easier, doesn't it?? Too bad about the Canyon being closed - truly some breathtaking stuff there. Tower Falls is very cool, as well, of course...

There's always next time, right?

Red Lodge looked like a nice (if tourist-trappy) little town when we drove through it.

Be prepared for elk everywhere at Mammoth... they apparently like to lounge on the grass areas around the buildings and such
Dave Re

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 03:28:04 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127692\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm not sure why Tower and Canyon would be closed in September. The latest Yellowstone newsletter I received stated that the Canyon south rim road east of Tom's trail would be closed for maintenance from this fall thru next spring (they are rebuilding the Artist's Point obervation deck, among other things), but the western end of the road will supposedly still be open, and the entire north rim is unaffected. There are lots of spectacular Canyon views from the north rim. And as for Tower, unless they're closing it for road rebuilding, it shouldn't be closed in September. I go up there all the time in late September. Most of the Tower to Canyon road was rebuilt just a few years ago and it's still in great shape (except the part just above Tower Junction), so I'm not sure why Tower would be closed.

I think most everybody else has already told you your schedule is way too ambitious, and I have to agree. The whole Yellowstone area is much larger than it looks on the map, and it takes a lot longer to get from anywhere to anywhere else than you'd think, given the low speed limit and all the bison jams, bear jams, moose jams, and you name it. The best way to approach Yellowstone is to have a list of places you'd like to see, and then just comfortably work your way thru the list. Take your time and enjoy each location - rushing from spot to spot will just leave you feeling rushed and frustrated. And if you don't get to all the spots on the list, then that's just an excuse to come back another year. At least you will have thoroughly enjoyed the places on your list you did get to see.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:30:45 pm by Mort54 »
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pepino

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 03:47:06 pm »

Mort,
Sorry, that was my fault, i meant to say that the lodging in those areas are closed for the season not the roads. Sorry for the confusion. So we ended up changing our plans as follows:
Day 1) Flagg Ranch
Day 2) Old Faithful Snow Lodge
Day 3) Old Faithful Snow Lodge
Day 4) Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel
Day 5) Rock Creek Resort in Red Lodge
Day 6) Yellowstone Lake Hotel

I think this will make things better because we will be closer to the different parts of the park and eliminate some driving times. The Red Lodge stay is because we are going to drive the Beartooth back into the park.

Now i want to come up with a list of the "must see" areas in each location. Another main goal is to come up with a list of locations to be during sunrise and sunset for each day we are there. I already have an idea of what good locations are at each area so after the "must see" locations i can start looking at my list of secondary locations.

I do want to be flexable, but i just want to know my options.

Thanks for your advice Mort!

I'm not sure why Tower and Canyon would be closed in September. The latest Yellowstone newsletter I received stated that the Canyon south rim road east of Tom's trail would be closed for maintenance from this fall thru next spring (they are rebuilding the Artist's Point obervation deck, among other things), but the western end of the road will supposedly still be open, and the entire north rim is unaffected. There are lots of spectacular Canyon views from the north rim. And as for Tower, unless they're closing it for road rebuilding, it shouldn't be closed in September. I go up there all the time in late September. Most of the Tower to Canyon road was rebuilt just a few years ago and it's still in great shape (except the part just above Tower Junction), so I'm not sure why Tower would be closed.

I think most everybody else has already told you your schedule is way too ambitious, and I have to agree. The whole Yellowstone area is much larger than it looks on the map, and it takes a lot longer to get from anywhere to anywhere else than you'd think, given the low speed limit and all the bison jams, bear jams, moose jams, and you name it. The best way to approach Yellowstone is to have a list of places you'd like to see, and then just comfortably work your way thru the list. Take your time and enjoy each location - rushing from spot to spot will just leave you feeling rushed and frustrated. And if you don't get to all the spots on the list, then that's just an excuse to come back another year. At least you will have thoroughly enjoyed the places on your list you did get to see.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127876\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 06:58:01 pm »

Mort,
Sorry, that was my fault, i meant to say that the lodging in those areas are closed for the season not the roads. Sorry for the confusion. So we ended up changing our plans as follows:
Day 1) Flagg Ranch
Day 2) Old Faithful Snow Lodge
Day 3) Old Faithful Snow Lodge
Day 4) Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel
Day 5) Rock Creek Resort in Red Lodge
Day 6) Yellowstone Lake Hotel

I think this will make things better because we will be closer to the different parts of the park and eliminate some driving times. The Red Lodge stay is because we are going to drive the Beartooth back into the park.

Now i want to come up with a list of the "must see" areas in each location. Another main goal is to come up with a list of locations to be during sunrise and sunset for each day we are there. I already have an idea of what good locations are at each area so after the "must see" locations i can start looking at my list of secondary locations.

I do want to be flexable, but i just want to know my options.

Thanks for your advice Mort!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127882\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Pepino. I'm guessing that you plan to drive from Mammoth to Red Lodge via Livingston, and then come back the next day via the Beartooth. I have an alternate suggestion that requires a bit more driving but lets you experience both the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway. Many people feel that the Chief Joseph is in some ways even more spectacular than the Beartooth (the late great Charles Kuralt used to rave about the Chief Joseph in his "On The Road" segment for CBS News).

To do this, drive from Mammoth to Red Lodge via Cooke City and the Beartooth Highway. Then the next day return to the park via the Chief Joseph Highway. From Red Lodge you'd take highway 308 east to Belfry, then highway 72 south to highway 120 (72 turns into 120 when you enter Wyoming), then highway 120 south to highway 296 (296 is the Chief Joseph highway), and then 296 west back to the Beartooth highway and back into Cooke City. The Chief Joseph Highway (highway 296) takes you over Dead Indian Pass. From Dead Indian pass down to the intersection with the Beartooth, the scenery is truly spectacular. This stretch of the highway goes thru Sunlight Basin, which is gorgeous. About halfway between Dead Indian Pass and the intersection with the Beartooth highway, you'll come to Clark's Fork gorge (the road crosses a bridge over the gorge, so you can't miss it). If this doesn't take your breath away, nothing will.

I go to Yellowstone at least once a year, and more times if I can get time away from work. If I drive, I always arrange my route to take me over Dead Indian Pass on the Chief Joseph. I like the Beartooth as well, but I think I like the Chief Joseph even better.

Have a great trip.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pepino

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 11:03:31 am »

Mort,
Thanks again for the info! what you suggest is a very interesting alternative. we have not picked a route from mammoth hot springs to red lodge yet so this is up for debate. The only issue i can see with the route you mention is that we do not want to drive the beartooth at night. We will probably be at mammoth hot springs most of the day, and also check out some of the other locations near mammoth. So by the time we leave for red lodge it will be early evening maybe. Our main goal is to drive back into the park on the beartooth before noon so the lighting is at its best for shooting. Im not sure how the lighting would be in the early evening driving the beartooth out of the park and into red lodge. We also have to consider the weather. If its raining or even a little dusting of snow up on the beartooth we dont want to get stuck there during the night.

I do want to drive chief josephs, i hear from multiple places that its great as well. Is there any alternate route to take letting us drive chief josephs out of the park to red lodge and then drive the beartooth into the park early morning the next day? I think this would be ideal for us. How would chief josephs lighting be at sunset / early evening time?

Thanks again for all your help Mort, i can't thank you enough

Hi Pepino. I'm guessing that you plan to drive from Mammoth to Red Lodge via Livingston, and then come back the next day via the Beartooth. I have an alternate suggestion that requires a bit more driving but lets you experience both the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway. Many people feel that the Chief Joseph is in some ways even more spectacular than the Beartooth (the late great Charles Kuralt used to rave about the Chief Joseph in his "On The Road" segment for CBS News).

To do this, drive from Mammoth to Red Lodge via Cooke City and the Beartooth Highway. Then the next day return to the park via the Chief Joseph Highway. From Red Lodge you'd take highway 308 east to Belfry, then highway 72 south to highway 120 (72 turns into 120 when you enter Wyoming), then highway 120 south to highway 296 (296 is the Chief Joseph highway), and then 296 west back to the Beartooth highway and back into Cooke City. The Chief Joseph Highway (highway 296) takes you over Dead Indian Pass. From Dead Indian pass down to the intersection with the Beartooth, the scenery is truly spectacular. This stretch of the highway goes thru Sunlight Basin, which is gorgeous. About halfway between Dead Indian Pass and the intersection with the Beartooth highway, you'll come to Clark's Fork gorge (the road crosses a bridge over the gorge, so you can't miss it). If this doesn't take your breath away, nothing will.

I go to Yellowstone at least once a year, and more times if I can get time away from work. If I drive, I always arrange my route to take me over Dead Indian Pass on the Chief Joseph. I like the Beartooth as well, but I think I like the Chief Joseph even better.

Have a great trip.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127908\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

cmburns

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 11:28:19 am »

The trail to behind GPS starts south at the next turnoff. There's a parking lot and a bridge over a stream. The trail there is wide enough for cars to go down, no cars on it just saying it's a big trail. Once you get behind GPS you'll see a dusty little trail heading up the hill, assuming no rain. If it has rained it would probably be extremely slick. There's dead trees laying everywhere so you have to step over several but all in all it's not too bad, I was huffing and puffing, but i'm from 300 feet elevation and it's several thousand right there.

West Yellowstone road usually has elk and bison, but not a lot of either. The light is great late in the day. There's also a bald eagle nest but all I saw this year were juveniles that hadn't got the white head yet, no adults. Between Old Faithful and where you turn west for west yellowstone there are usually a lot of Bison. Between West Yellowstone turnoff and Mammoth there's usually a lot of bison and elk. The bears are mostly between Mammoth and Tower falls.

Fishing bridge was kind of meh for me this time. There were very few pelicans. North of there we pulled over at a spot and there were 3 pelican sitting on some rocks out in the stream trying to catch fish as they went by.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up