Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P30 microlens sensor issues???  (Read 7637 times)

etrump

P30 microlens sensor issues???
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:51 am »

Well I have just about decided on the P30+ for my landscape photography.  I really like the capability to do longer exposures that is not available in the Leaf 65 back.  

The primary concern I have is with the microlens sensor.  I have a 35mm wide angle and will probably want a Tilt/Shift lens or view camera down the road.  

Does anyone have experience with either on the P30+?  How concerned should I be and how well does the software fix any of these problems?

Thanks
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

benedmonson

• http://www.benedmonson.com
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:06:15 pm »

My Contax P30 kit works perfectly with my Contax 35mm lens and 45mm Hartblei T/S lens, although I don't use the latter very much. I do use the 35mm daily and it is absolutely perfect, best wide angle I've ever used.

ben

Well I have just about decided on the P30+ for my landscape photography.  I really like the capability to do longer exposures that is not available in the Leaf 65 back. 

The primary concern I have is with the microlens sensor.  I have a 35mm wide angle and will probably want a Tilt/Shift lens or view camera down the road. 

Does anyone have experience with either on the P30+?  How concerned should I be and how well does the software fix any of these problems?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127271\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:15:28 pm »

i use the 35 all the time with my P30....i also have a lensbaby 3G which shows no lenscast or any problems at all....and i can do some HEAVY movements with that......got the lensbaby in part because phase does not recommend the P30 with movements...so it seemed a cheap way to check it out....my experience with phase backs tells me that lenscast problems vary from back to back...i never had any problems with my P20 either (with WA and T/S) and some people reported severe shifts with just WA....i guess every back is slightly different?

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:54:44 pm »

Anyone that has tried to use it with an Arcbody or Flexbody? I also wonder how bad it actually is using the P30(+) with movements.

It is such a pity that this can rule out 2 of the 3 manufacturers of cropped MFDB's.

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 06:02:31 pm »

Ed – If you are familiar to my other posts on the subject I too decided on the P30 for my landscape work.  While I would have loved to have a “full-frame” I wanted and needed something that would be robust enough to handle the everyday strain of shooting in all types of weather.  The P30+ fits that bill in spades.  Up till March I was shooting my landscape and nature images with a Canon 1Ds II (my wife still uses her Canon 5D).  I wanted to go medium format as I often shoot panoramas and in doing so will shoot multiple images (rows and columns) and felt MF would be easier.  It is.  

You don’t mention camera platform – that’s entirely up to you and the bank, I made the choice of Mamiya 645 AFD II.  I just read Michael’s write-up on the new P45+ and like where he states that he wasn’t going into a description of other backs as it:

"I have no intention here in doing a comparison with other back maker's models. The last time I did that I found that the overall differences in image quality were so small as to not be worth quibbling over. What the differences between backs really comes down to are controls, ergonomics, user interface, and of course company related matters such as warranty, service, support, reliability and the like."

The choice of equipment back is up to you.  If you choose the P30 you will have no regrets.  In the time I’ve had my loan (late May) I have come to really love it.  To quote someone else, “You can have my P30 when you pry it from my cold dead hands”. Okay he didn’t mention a P30 but he would have….

I’ve been shooting all the lens that I’ve accumulated which are 35, 80, 150, 210 and a nifty 300 f2.8 (almost forgot the 45mm Hartblei Super-rotator lens).  I’ve found that I’m using the 35 more and more each time I go out.  I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever with any lens.   I hope I made a point.  I’ve used the 35 a heck of a lot more than the Hartblei as I simply haven’t been in a situation to really need or warrant it however I have a good friend and fellow LL member that has and he gives a very good report on the Hartblei.

My major if only system for capturing landscape is the P30 (Chris - if you're reading this I'd love to get my Plus Back soon     )

I hope this helps you in your decision.

don
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:43:36 pm by Iron Creek »

sundstei

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 07:21:12 pm »

While I would have loved to have a “full-frame” I wanted and needed something that would be robust enough to handle the everyday strain of shooting in all types of weather.  The P30+ fits that bill in spades. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127333\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This quote does not make sense.. what are you talking about? The P45 is "full frame".

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 07:39:20 pm »

This quote does not make sense.. what are you talking about? The P45 is "full frame".
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127342\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are correct the P45 is full frame the P30 is not

sundstei

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 07:44:06 pm »

You are correct the P45 is full frame the P30 is not
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Of course it is. But you appeared to imply the P30 is more "robust". The P45 is the same chassis with a full frame chip. Hence fulfilling your initial requirements and not leading you towards the selection of a P30 instead.

Svein Erik

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 07:56:50 pm »

Of course it is. But you appeared to imply the P30 is more "robust". The P45 is the same chassis with a full frame chip. Hence fulfilling your initial requirements and not leading you towards the selection of a P30 instead.

Svein Erik
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The reason I picked the P30 over all others from Phase One is that it is the only model that Phase states that it is “well suited for harsh conditions” harsh conditions to me fit my need for a robust back.   The P30 is also the only back recommended to me by both Phase One and my dealer (Capture Integration) as being able to fully meet my needs of a “near all weather” back.  As I’ve said before I am very pleased with my decision.  

I saw the video of the back in dry ice.  I truly believe that all the Phase backs are tough, however the P30 is the only back that Phase states is meant for “harsh conditions”.

Hope this clears everything up, sorry for the confusion.

Don

sundstei

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 01:33:36 pm »

The reason I picked the P30 over all others from Phase One is that it is the only model that Phase states that it is “well suited for harsh conditions” harsh conditions to me fit my need for a robust back.   The P30 is also the only back recommended to me by both Phase One and my dealer (Capture Integration) as being able to fully meet my needs of a “near all weather” back.  As I’ve said before I am very pleased with my decision. 

I saw the video of the back in dry ice.  I truly believe that all the Phase backs are tough, however the P30 is the only back that Phase states is meant for “harsh conditions”.

Hope this clears everything up, sorry for the confusion.
Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127349\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don,

There is no difference between the P45 and the P30 as far as "robustness". Thinking I might be wrong I called a contact at Phase One in Denmark (i am Norwegian), and he confirmed this. The text from the Phase One literature is just "marketing speak" - probably repeated by your dealer. I am not saying your P30 is not robust, just that the other back are just as robust.  I owned the p45 when it first came out.

Svein Erik
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:35:21 pm by sundstei »

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 01:50:35 pm »

one phase back is just as robust as the other....the P30 and the P45 are the same in that regard....

and NEITHER ARE FULL FRAME.....remember: only hasselblad has full frame:)

the P30 is x1.3 the P45 is x1.1

sundstei

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:20:24 pm »

one phase back is just as robust as the other....the P30 and the P45 are the same in that regard....

and NEITHER ARE FULL FRAME.....remember: only hasselblad has full frame:)

the P30 is x1.3 the P45 is x1.1
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127465\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are too hung up in "old formats", Paul
What is the P45 in an Rz67...?
And what about in a Hy6? :-O

Svein Erik

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 02:39:16 pm »

Okay Uncle, I give    

Don

sundstei

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 02:51:04 pm »

Okay Uncle, I give    

Don
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127470\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What matters is if you are happy with it... and you clearly are

Svein Erik

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 11:38:44 pm »

Ed - you asked about 35mm lens so I thought I'd attach one that I took not too long ago.  It may not win any awards but I hope it will at least show you what the 35mm is capable of.

Don

sc_john

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 06:02:05 am »

Don,

Did you use lens cast correction in processing that image to remove any color shift in corners?

John

jamie_m_

• http://www.mymoodphotography.com
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:00:25 am »

Just befor I got my P30, which I am very happy with , I contacted Phase one about the P30 wide angle microlens/lenscast issue and was told that the comment about the P30 beingunsuitable for wide angle photography was only applicable for view cameras where the distance from lens to back (and hence the angle of incidence) decreases for wide angle lenses.

Shooting with a medium format body the minimum distance the minumum distance from lense to back is fixed by the mirror and wide angle lenses employ a  "retro focus" design
MyMoodPhotography
[url=http://www.mymood

etrump

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 11:10:48 am »

Don,

Thanks for the image: is that Dead Horse Point?

Coming from the 35mm full frame 5D that looks pretty wide even with the crop factor.   From the down sized file, I can't see any color fringing and I am assuming there are none.

I am really looking forward to getting away from the strong anti-aliasing filters used on the canon gear.  2.5 times the detail is also going to be great.  My pocket book is the only thing complaining.

My Mamiya 645AFD is supposed to arrive today with film and poloroid backs.  I may shoot a roll or two while I'm waiting for the P30.  I've never shot film since I became serious about photography.  

Thanks to all for the comments.

Ed
Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 11:42:33 am »

John - No color cast correction - "what you see is what you get"

Ed- That image as well as this one were taken at Green River Overlook in Island In The Sky District of Canyonlands National Park which is close to Deadhorse (just on the otherside).

Both were taken with a Mamiya 645 AFD II, 35mm lens (I bought it as a demo from B&H) and of course the P30 loaner.  I never considered buying a used or demo lens before for my 1Ds II, however the Mamiya has changed my mind on that subject (which could be a very good thread in itself).

I just opened the attached image this morning in PS3 did no corrections whatsoever and saved it and uploaded here.  Again no award winning image just a nice "postcard".  Hope you enjoy....

Don

sc_john

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 02:04:16 pm »

Don and Jamie,

Thanks for the info. I've shot w/ a P25 and had noticeable lens cast on a Hasselblad 35mm lens. The performance of P30 is impressive. I think I see a demo in my future.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up