Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Innova F-Type Gloss w Epson R1800  (Read 2150 times)

dgillilan

Innova F-Type Gloss w Epson R1800
« on: July 09, 2007, 08:59:50 am »

Dear Printers,
I used a new paper last night with my new Epson R1800 printer, which is special for glossy, with a gloss optimizer ink cartridge. My results were less than stellar.  My monitor is hardware calibrated. I have two packs of Innova sample papers, and I tried the Innova white F-type Gloss paper.

I printed a raw image of a white and fuschia color African Violet bloom with green leaves and stems, shot with a Nikon 200mm macro lens. The image is very good.  The prints are detailed, and do show the hairs on the violet leaves - that's good.

I first used an icc profile that I do not believe is for this paper, BUT, there is no icc profile listed on Innova's site for my R1800 with "F-type gloss". I used the profile for "FibaPrint White Gloss (PK) Photo Black" which apparently is the closest thing to the F-type gloss with this printer (icc ="R800_1800 IFA09PH_BK.icc".).  I used premium glossy as the media type, PS manages, ICM off, relative colorimetric, check black point.  My greens were muted and almost yellowish, and the fuschia was a little pink, not bright. The image was sort of desaturated and yellow.

I next decided to try the printer managing colors(same paper type).  My results were somewhat better, but still not vibrant.  I used:  "Color controls, gamma=1.8, Epson vivid", and this time, I used Innova's suggestion on the packet, "Photo matte setting is suggested default for Innova papers where a printer is in use and no ICC profiles exist".  I set media type to premium matte.

My results on the second print are better than the first.  Does anyone have suggestions on use of this paper with the Epson R1800 printer? And, I do not understand why Innova suggest media type of matte with a paper labelled glossy?

My next step this evening is to print this same image on Epson premium glossy paper and the Epson icc profile and media type glossy, and see what it results in.

Thank you for any advice,
Debra

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:42:12 am »

Have you done a soft-proof to check whether the colors in your image are in gamut?
Eric Chan

dgillilan

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:46:24 am »

Have you done a soft-proof to check whether the colors in your image are in gamut?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127580\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, have not. Eric, that is an excellent idea. I will do that tonight. I think I have read that one can make Photoshop show out of gamut colors on the screen somehow- I will research that. I did not think of this idea, thank you, Debra
Pages: [1]   Go Up