Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony f828 settings for crisp, colorful photos?  (Read 2190 times)

f828user

Sony f828 settings for crisp, colorful photos?
« on: July 08, 2007, 11:49:14 am »

I recently picked up an sony f828 and I'm pretty happy with the camera. I wanted one for quite a while and finally ended up getting a good deal on ebay. I'm pretty familiar with photography in general and I own a pentax k100d.

When using the f828 I get good photos but they lack the crisp character that is the norm with my pentax. After searching on flickr and other places I found a lot amazing photos taken with the f828. Some great examples can be found here.  I would like to know what settings are used on the f828 to achieve such great results. The settings  I use are as follows:

Manual mode
Iso set no higher than 200
White balance set for the scene or manual
Picture quality = Fine
Saturation = Normal
Contrast = low
Sharpness = normal
Color = standard
Recording mode = jpeg or raw
Image size = 3 or 5 mp

I use a circular polarizing filter for outdoor shots to brighten things up and because this camera suffers from noise at higher iso's I shoot at a lower iso and will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. Does this seem like I'm on the right track?

I really enjoy the camera and want to use it to it's full potential. What are this camera's strong points and how do you capitalize on them? What settings do you use for crisp and colorful photos?

Here is a good photo that I took with my f828. Unfortunately they seem few and far between.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 11:51:02 am by f828user »

mwookie

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:54:08 pm »

I recently picked up an sony f828 and I'm pretty happy with the camera. I wanted one for quite a while and finally ended up getting a good deal on ebay. I'm pretty familiar with photography in general and I own a pentax k100d.

When using the f828 I get good photos but they lack the crisp character that is the norm with my pentax. After searching on flickr and other places I found a lot amazing photos taken with the f828. Some great examples can be found here.  I would like to know what settings are used on the f828 to achieve such great results. The settings  I use are as follows:

Manual mode
Picture quality = Fine
Saturation = Normal
Contrast = low
Sharpness = normal
Color = standard
Image size = 3 or 5 mp

I use a circular polarizing filter for outdoor shots to brighten things up and because this camera suffers from noise at higher iso's I shoot at a lower iso and will adjust the shutter speed accordingly. Does this seem like I'm on the right track?

I really enjoy the camera and want to use it to it's full potential. What are this camera's strong points and how do you capitalize on them? What settings do you use for crisp and colorful photos?

Here is a good photo that I took with my f828. Unfortunately they seem few and far between.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have experience with the 828 but used to own the Sony 717 and had similar thought. The most important thing is to learn to be a better photographer and the equipment will start showing better results. Learn the camera, and the metering.

One of the things I had a hard time with is the high contrast shots would often through the internal metering. I bought a sekonic which often did better. Also, the better exposure you get straight from the camera, the better the final image. The more post processig I had to do, the less crisp things would be.

Do you often use a tripod, try this and see how it goes for you.

One last thought is that having a great image few and far between isn't that uncommon. As I have continued in photography I have a better "good ratio", but nothing close to 100% are great images.

Hope this helps....

Bill in WV

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:10:43 am »

When using the f828 I get good photos but they lack the crisp character that is the norm with my pentax. After searching on flickr and other places I found a lot amazing photos taken with the f828. Some great examples can be found here.  I would like to know what settings are used on the f828 to achieve such great results. The settings  I use are as follows:

Manual mode
Picture quality = Fine
Saturation = Normal
Contrast = low
Sharpness = normal
Color = standard
Image size = 3 or 5 mp

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127127\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is late here but I can't keep from reacting to your post. Yes, I said reacting rather than replying. I have a few questions and a couple of recommendations for you.

Why go to the trouble of locating, bidding, and waiting on an ebay purchase of a fine 8mp camera with a very good lens, and a very good string on initial reviews back when it came out only to disable most of the things that made it a very fine camera worthy of your trouble and time in acquiring it.

I'm tired and going to bed, but I'm going to give you some homework. Read BOTH reviews that Michael wrote on this camera here on the Luminous Landscape, then go over to dpreview.com and see what Phil Askey had to say about this camera being sure to review the sample photos that accompanied his review. Most of his settings accompany his samples.

Why on earth are you shooting at 5 or 3mp instead of using the whole capability of the 8mp sensor? If you are going to shoot in JPEG, shoot in 8mp Fine. Compact flash cards are very inexpensive now so get a couple and use all the capability you've got.

I think you should start by resetting everything to its default mode and shoot in P, A, or S, until you find something you really need to change. And put away the polarizer until you want to reduce reflections or add contrast and saturation to your skies. It is robbing of 1.5 to 2 stops of light, granted, if you let the camera do what it was designed to do, it will compensate automatically.

I have the KonicaMinolta A2, a first cousin to the 828, same sensor anyway, and in my humble opinion you have taken just about every step you could to keep this fine camera from operating the way it was designed to work, which is very well thank you.

I'll check back and see how it's going.

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon
Pages: [1]   Go Up