Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black And White Film  (Read 3639 times)

roadkillwill5890

• http://www.centralvisionfilms.com
Black And White Film
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:49:51 am »

What would be the best black and white film to use on a project  i am working on, the end result will be a blown up print framed to about 40cmx60cm but im stuck on film choices, im looking for a very contrasting, fine grain film as it will be shot with a long exposure at aprox 5pm so not dark but just low light. Ive heard Agfa make the best black and white film but im not sure?
Anyone got any good tips?
Will

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Black And White Film
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 01:53:34 am »

I've always like the Ilford XP2 400 - a black and white film that uses colour dyes (process C-41).  There's great exposure latitude and very fine grain.

My $0.02

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Raoul

Black And White Film
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 03:15:51 am »

(...) blown up print framed to about 40cmx60cm (...)[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Will the print size be 40x60 or is this the size of the frame? If that's the print size, and assuming you are using 35mm film, I'd go for either Ilford Delta 100 or Kodak TMax100. Both require more precise processing than i.e. Ilford FP4 or another film using older technology, but for those kind of enlargement Delta or TMax should be better.

If possible, I'd go for medium format, either 4.5x6 (6x6 is ok as well, gives you more possibilities to crop) or 6x9 if you can afford it. I'd go for 4.5x6, used cameras (i.e. Bronica) are cheap these days. At a 16x enlargement you are really stressing film's potential and any small focussing and processing errors are highly visible. I guess you'll have more keepers using medium format.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Black And White Film
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:52:19 pm »

I'm with Raoul, on both film and camera recommendations. The C-41 B&W films would be nice if you need more speed, but do some testing to find out their EI for you; I think they are better exposed at 250 or so EI.

I really like Delta 400 also, developed in Xtol at 1+2 or 1+3. Of course, you'll have finer grain at a higher developer concentration, but I really like the tones with a more dilute developer.

Good luck with your project.
michael sebast

roadkillwill5890

• http://www.centralvisionfilms.com
Black And White Film
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:44 pm »

ok well being new to 35mm film i researched for ages and found the Agfa APX 100asa film and fell in love with it, all pictures i saw taken with it were amazing, than i was devistated to find out it was discontinued    this happend with me and kodachrome as well hehe. The print will be enlarged to 45cmx30cm and than framed. Im planning to shoot and test with a 1 Second Exposure, a 10sec exposure, a 30 and a 60 sec exposure. It will be shot with a wide-angle and i  was talked into buying some Kodak BW400CN (400asa). Has anyone used this kind of film and also the picture will be taken of a building with flashing lights, is their any kind of a filter that would work well with this picture.
Thanks
William
Pages: [1]   Go Up