Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Families  (Read 5889 times)

Andres Bonilla

Families
« on: July 08, 2007, 12:37:13 am »

Ok, I was told that my previous photos had too much of an explanation, so here are two without any text. I wish to hear comments on them.
Thanks,

Andres

Andres Bonilla

Families
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:39:25 am »

offissa

Families
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:36:01 am »

Hi Andres. I sort of think that there is something a bit manipulative about your photos, as if you were trying to dictate the viewers' reactions—the second of these in particular looks a little contrived.Definitely better without the long explanation. These photos speak for themselves. They shout. Gosh, that sounds harsh; I'm only saying it because overall your work is very powerful and worthwhile. So keep at it because you're doing good things.

Andres Bonilla

Families
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 03:09:19 am »

Offissa thanks for taking the time to post a comment.Ok, these photos were taken in between brakes at a video series I was shooting for the television station I work for, the idea is to help the organization that provides financial and moral help for these families. After a whole day of shooting with them they forget you are there and they act as they usually do. The second photo is part of the treatment in which they read to the kids to take their mind away from quimotherapy and the cruel reality of weeks at the hospital. I took the photos as they went on their daily routines, I did not ask them to pose or change anything that they would normally do. What you see is what I saw, with the exception of the use of Photoshop to correct the image a bit ( I was shooting 1600 ASA )
I am not trying to dictate the viewers' reactions but I would definitively want some sort of emotion coming from the people looking at the photos.

Thanks again for your valuable opinion.

HickersonJasonC

Families
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 09:05:42 am »

Ok, I was told that my previous photos had too much of an explanation, so here are two without any text. I wish to hear comments on them.
Thanks,

Andres
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andres,

I think your first image here is very strong. I would make one suggestion however, if you don't mind. There isn't much happening around the edges of the frame. I'd try cropping in a bit to exclude the distracting design on the mother's shirt and much of the bare walls all around. But keep that doll- that along with the girl's gaze, to me, is the focus here. The setting here is obvious, get rid of everything that isn't necessary to the story you are telling.

Also, I think that ISO 1600 would work for this image. Sometimes an image just wants to be grainy- nothing wrong with that. This reminds me a little of James Natchwey, were it black and white. Good work.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Families
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:47:39 am »

The first one speaks volumes! Very powerful, with no commentary needed. I agree with Jason cropping suggestions, but I don't think it "needs" grain.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

HickersonJasonC

Families
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 12:24:42 pm »

The first one speaks volumes! Very powerful, with no commentary needed. I agree with Jason cropping suggestions, but I don't think it "needs" grain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nope, it doesn't need grain. I don't think it would detract from the emotion of this image, either.

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Families
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:53:01 am »

I hope you don't mind but I cropped as was suggested and like this look. I think this can be a powerful image.

Andres Bonilla

Families
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:33 pm »

Thanks Jason for the suggestion, yes it is very difficult to find someone wearing plain t-shirts in LatinAmerica, they usally are given for free at different events. Good suggestion on the cropping.

Andres Bonilla

Families
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 01:40:32 pm »

Thanks Larry,no I don't mind

Chris_T

Families
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »

Some like to describe their work, and some don't. The former hope the viewers of their work can better interprete them with their original intents, the latter let the viewers come to their own conclusions which may or may not be the same as their own. It is very much a personal (or subject) choice. From the viewers'perspective, I'm sure we all have favorite songs with lyrics that we cannot decipher.

For this body of work, I think a photo essay would work well, e.g. a web page combining text and images that tells a whole story.

I must say that I admire your courage for such a project. I, for one, certainly don't have the stomach for it. Keep up the good work.

"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!"

-Henri Cartier-Bresson

Thanks,

Andres
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127071\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 01:45:31 pm by Chris_T »

jani

• Øyet
Families
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 04:28:35 pm »

My first impression was similar to that of others here: the first image is very strong, and evokes a series of mixed emotions in me.

Photographically speaking, the moment was well-chosen; there's a long story just in the faces. The composition is strong, but I agree with Larry's suggested crop.

Chris's points are valid, and I can only agree.

Thanks for sharing, Andres!
Jan

Andres Bonilla

Families
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 01:43:24 pm »

Thank you guys for your comments! The feedback is what help me become a better photographer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up