Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help printing on Z3100  (Read 13559 times)

rdonson

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 07:17:13 pm »

I love this paper on the Z3100! I profiled it using the thick >250 gms fine art paper setting, and results with color prints are striking. There is a bit of almost crystalline reflection from the paper grain in smooth areas like blue sky that looks beautiful.

Black & white is even better. This profile/paper preset applies all four black inks. Resulting prints demonstrate an unusual form of gloss differential that really enhances shadow detail; there is a subtle difference in reflectivity across tonal ranges that makes shadow detail stand out. The reflectance characteristics of the HP inks on this paper make black & white prints look like they are etched on steel. I've never seen anything quite like this effect, but it's perfect for many of my images. This is now my standard BW paper.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the glowing report, Geoff.  Are you using the GE with any of your images?
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 07:24:53 pm »

I love this paper on the Z3100! I profiled it using the thick >250 gms fine art paper setting, and results with color prints are striking.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127677\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Geoff, its interesting that you profiled it as a >250gsm FAP.  The latest HP tech newsletter on firmware 5.0.0.4 suggests using the paper type "HP Premium ID Satin".  Did you try that?
Regards,
Ron

ratovan

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 06:04:44 am »

I've used the z3100 to make prints of artwork for some pretty demanding fine artists. I consider the profiles made by the z to be "top notch" as my customers seem to be ecstatic with the quality of their prints...they are a spot on match to the paintings. As for my photographic prints my photo clients are not just happy with my prints, they are blown away.

There will always be the occasional image that one will have to tweak no matter how good the profile is. With the z, I have yet to encounter an image that I have had to tweak and reprint because the color did not match my monitor, although I'm sure I will at some point. BTW, I'm using the "regular" z3100 - not the APS model.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127384\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Roscolo
Can I ask you a few questions about your workflow?
Im also printing for a fine artist and use HP Hahnemuhle Texture Fine Art Paper, and we are thrilled with the matte finish, but my problem started when trying to do a red painting it came out signal orange. And when i look at the profiling testsheets all red are orange even on the Premium Photopaper.

Do you use printer or program color managment?

When printing in RGB ill set the proof setup to the paper (Tex art pap then use Preserve RGB numbers + Simulate Paper Color in CS2)and its ugly as hell but no matter how much red I put on it still get orange.
(I use WinXPPro SP2 and PS2)

I got closer yesterday when convert to CMYK and put on some saturation. But still alot of work and print to get it right.

Can you confirm that the cubetestpaper is orange and not red on matte paper for fine art?

Best regards
Stein

Geoff Wittig

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 09:10:40 am »

Geoff, its interesting that you profiled it as a >250gsm FAP.  The latest HP tech newsletter on firmware 5.0.0.4 suggests using the paper type "HP Premium ID Satin".  Did you try that?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127694\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you profile this >300 gm. paper with the premium ID satin paper preset you'll get head strikes because the print head will be in the lower position. Trust me, this trashed my light cyan/light magenta head. Using the >250 mgs FAP preset enables quad black printing with both photo black and matte black, which I presume is why the prints are so interesting.

rdonson

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 09:41:32 am »

If you profile this >300 gm. paper with the premium ID satin paper preset you'll get head strikes because the print head will be in the lower position. Trust me, this trashed my light cyan/light magenta head. Using the >250 mgs FAP preset enables quad black printing with both photo black and matte black, which I presume is why the prints are so interesting.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ahhhh... that makes a lot of sense, Geoff. Thanks!!!
Regards,
Ron

Geoff Wittig

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 09:57:20 am »

Ahhhh... that makes a lot of sense, Geoff. Thanks!!!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128031\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I forgot to mention that the >250 gms fne art paper preset does not use the gloss enhancer. However, Hahnemühle photo rag satin is a bit of an oddball paper. It looks much like the standard photo rag (matte) before you print, but once the ink hits it the surface takes on a semi-gloss sheen unlike any other paper I've tried.

rdonson

Help printing on Z3100
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 10:01:38 am »

Geoff, I've printed on the Photo Rag Satin with GE on and I've really liked the result.  The sheen is much nicer to my eyes than without but that is a matter of taste and particular image.  Luckily I've avoided the head strikes so far.

The original reason for considering GE was that for the heck of it I looked at the Hahnemuhle website for their Z3100 profiles and they had one with GE and one without GE.  Hahnemuhle ICC profiles
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 10:04:30 am by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up