Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which flaws did you notice in 1.1?  (Read 17236 times)

MKreb

Which flaws did you notice in 1.1?
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 10:46:48 pm »

On my system (windows/ 3 GHz dual core/ 4GB ram) LR 1.1 is much, much slower in one aspect. When I load a new image to view in Library, Lightroom loads it, but it loads it in a blurry mode. For sharp focus to occur, it can take up to 8 seconds. The entire time I am waiting for sharp focus, Lightroom displays the "working' or "loading" alert at the bottom of the image window. It is very frustrating.

I wonder if the people who are not having problems are using smaller, or different format images. I am using full size RAW (CR2) from an EOS Mark3. When I was using LR1.0, most of my images were Raw from a D30. Perhaps that is the problem. I will have to run some D30 raw's through LR1.1 to see the result.

Deep

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 11:07:26 pm »

On my system (windows/ 3 GHz dual core/ 4GB ram) LR 1.1 is much, much slower in one aspect. When I load a new image to view in Library, Lightroom loads it, but it loads it in a blurry mode. For sharp focus to occur, it can take up to 8 seconds. The entire time I am waiting for sharp focus, Lightroom displays the "working' or "loading" alert at the bottom of the image window. It is very frustrating.

I wonder if the people who are not having problems are using smaller, or different format images. I am using full size RAW (CR2) from an EOS Mark3. When I was using LR1.0, most of my images were Raw from a D30. Perhaps that is the problem. I will have to run some D30 raw's through LR1.1 to see the result.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128252\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Just for interest, I tried what you said using Olympus Raw files from an E300.  I have to assume you are talking about loading at full one to one resolution?  Just loading an image to view takes about one second, enlarging a fresh image one to one took about 14 seconds.  I only have a 1.67GHz G4.  If you are talking about the normal view, as opposed to a one to one view, I wonder if screen size has anything to do with it?  Mine is only 15 inch.

Don.
Don

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 11:24:55 pm »

My 'working' wait time has not increased.  All my images are 30D RAWs.  2-3 seconds each, at most the first time.

The View

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 01:19:18 am »

It could be that G5s and older computers have to work harder under 1.1.

For example: when adjusting blacks or exposure, you could see the effect right away in 1.0.

In 1.1 there is a short blurry phase, and then you see the result of the slider operation.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2007, 04:42:36 pm »

2. No proper network access. Eg can't run Library from a server
3. Multi photographer workflow. It is impossible for 2 photographers to work on the same Library at the same time, related to the above.
That is also related to the use of SQLite, which isn't the proper choice for concurrent access by multiple users. For that, you really want a DBMS.

Adobe could, I suppose, ship the software of the option of storing the data in a database server accessible via ODBC or connecting "natively" to a selection of DBMSes (e.g. Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server/Sybase, PostgreSQL). But that means that your two photographers now also have to maintain a DBMS, or hire someone to do so.

I think Adobe's compromise is good enough for the time being, but would of course appreciate the option of using ODBC instead.
Jan

seamus finn

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2007, 06:34:35 am »

I asked this on another forum but not sure I understand the reply. When I open a folder, LR's presets automatically revert to Sepia and changes every image in the catalogue including all adjustments (exposure etc) which means I have to redo the lot manually again. Synchronise doesn't work for me very well because all my pictures are taken in a variety of conditions and lighting, mostly landscapes. I've tried everyting in preferences but can't solve the problem (the solution may be staring me in the face but I can't see it). Is there some box I should have ticked/ticked? Any ideas?

X-Re

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2007, 08:41:16 am »

Seamus, are you importing a new folder, or just going to view a folder that you've already imported in the Library? If you're importing, there's a field to select a Develop Settings preset to apply upon import - you've probably got "Creative - Sepia" selected. Pick None, instead.

If you're looking at a folder that's already imported to the Library, I don't know what's going on - but you can fix it by going into Develop for each photo, and selecting the previous history step - there will be a new step for the application of the Sepia preset, and selecting the previous one gets you right back to where you began. No need for lengthy changes, etc...
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

seamus finn

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 09:33:05 am »

Thanks for that, Dave - incidentally, the folders are already imported, and as I open each one, LR flips to the sepia setting and changes each image in that folder. Moving on to another folder, the same thing happens to every folder I open.

seamus finn

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 04:55:20 am »

Dave,
That worked. The preset seemed to be stuck on sepia for some reason. I still don't know how it happened, however. Interesting how a solution is sometimes hiding in plain sight - especially when getting used to a new UI. Thanks

X-Re

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 02:44:41 pm »

Cool - glad that was it, man
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

Andre22

• http://
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 01:25:44 am »

Using Win XP SP2 (fully tweaked) on a semi-ancient P4 2.0 Ghz with 1 GB RAM...

LR v1.0 was working smoothly. Happy.

LR v1.1 would often hang after about 15-20 mins of work, CPU usage climbing to around 90%. Import at times refused to work, either via the open dialog or dropping files into the library. Export - in most cases just nothing. And so on ...

Went back to LR 1.0. Happy.

Just to (re)state the obvious for anyone passing through here who is thinking of updating:
1) it is essential you read the release notes [ see link on the Adobe DL page ]
2) look through the relevant sections of the Help documentation.
3) make sure you understand how LR databases work and how to back them up - just in case.

For anything else (or more):
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc2cf0a/

While v1.1 was up and running I did get a chance to test some of the new features and yes, some nice things to look forward to there.

My guess that the marketing guys at Adobe pushed for an early the release date when v1.1 wasn't quite cooked. It would have been more appropriate for Adobe to release v1.1 as a beta with a proper bug report system - an easier ride for all concerned. I just hope they consider that option for future updates.

Andre

The View

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 01:43:00 am »

Another annoying thing is the increased loading time of images. After going through three or four images in the develop module, loading time increases to up to five seconds, then shortens again. As if something was strangling the data pipeline.

I will definitely read those release notes Andre22 mentioned.

I hope there will be a 1.2 release soon to fix the 1.1 bugs.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Giedo

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 03:53:48 am »

Sth different I noticed:
After stacking pictures, the stacked group is moved to the end of the folder...
I tried to sort again > sort on capture time... but nothing changed! The stacked pictures were seperated from the non-stacked ones that were taken at the same time of day and moved to a place after the last day of that shoot.
Especially in large shoots, this is not such a good thing. I spend too much time looking for certain pictures.

I also noticed this moving of the order of files after setting new ratings.

Does this mean the sorting of pictures is a flaw in LR 1.1? Or does this mean I have a flaw?  

Thanks, Giedo
Giedo

PeterBCarter

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 08:50:08 pm »

All my issues seem to be related to a fat and overload......

My G4 (1.3gh, 1.25 gb ram) under 1.0 ran great, just without the nice features of 1.1.

1.1 seems to take more memory to do everything. Some of my photo shoots can contain 300-1600 images. Making preview web (in chunks of 500) sites was handled fine (but slow) under 1.0. But under 1.1, my machine can go away and never come back. When it tanks (just stops running), it comes back to the same menu it left off. If you don't catch it, it can tank again.

This application reaks of all the problems that were in Windows 3.0-3.1, where the application did the memory management - not the os.

In my opinion, if it can't work well in a gig of ram, it's time to recode. You can't blame sqllite, as I have Mysql server using 32meg of ram. I suspect it's coding style not enviornment.

mikeguil

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 11:12:19 pm »

I'm having a problem that I can't pinpoint yet, but I know it's being caused by LR 'cause it happens only when LR is running.  I'm on a Mac, and after working in LR and trying to move to a different application via the Dock, rather than opening that application (whether it's already open or not), I get a Finder window with that application hi-lighted.  I have to double clik on it to open it, even if it is already open.  And then from there my keys start getting screwed up as if my CMD key or Option key were always being pressed down.  I have to restart the computer to reset everything back to normal.  Very frustrating.

francois

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2007, 05:37:45 am »

I'm having a problem that I can't pinpoint yet, but I know it's being caused by LR 'cause it happens only when LR is running.  I'm on a Mac, and after working in LR and trying to move to a different application via the Dock, rather than opening that application (whether it's already open or not), I get a Finder window with that application hi-lighted.  I have to double clik on it to open it, even if it is already open.  And then from there my keys start getting screwed up as if my CMD key or Option key were always being pressed down.  I have to restart the computer to reset everything back to normal.  Very frustrating.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129802\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you CMD + click on an icon in the dock, the Finder will open a window with the element being selected. So your diagnostic (Cmd key being pressed down) is correct. Either your keyboard is defective or you're using a wrong setting in the Universal Access system preferences or some process (LR?) is stealing all your CPU cyles. Check these first and then it might be interesting to run top command in a terminal window or use Activity Monitor to see what process is monopolizing your Mac.
Francois

DavidW

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 07:35:09 am »

Adobe could, I suppose, ship the software of the option of storing the data in a database server accessible via ODBC or connecting "natively" to a selection of DBMSes (e.g. Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server/Sybase, PostgreSQL). But that means that your two photographers now also have to maintain a DBMS, or hire someone to do so.

I think Adobe's compromise is good enough for the time being, but would of course appreciate the option of using ODBC instead.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=128313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've said it before - but I can't remember whether it was in these forums.

Adobe use MySQL for the server part of Version Cue. I wonder if it's possible to extend Version Cue to managing Lightroom's database for it. That will give them a multi-user setup that they already have both client and server for. Those of us who have a Creative Suite 3 suite installed probably already have the server running anyway, so there's no extra management overhead.

David

mikeguil

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:10 pm »

When you CMD + click on an icon in the dock, the Finder will open a window with the element being selected. So your diagnostic (Cmd key being pressed down) is correct. Either your keyboard is defective or you're using a wrong setting in the Universal Access system preferences or some process (LR?) is stealing all your CPU cyles. Check these first and then it might be interesting to run top command in a terminal window or use Activity Monitor to see what process is monopolizing your Mac.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129829\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.. that's exactly what's happening then... somehow the CMD key is continually being held down, but this only happens after I've been working in LR.  I don't know what sequence of events I'm doing in LR to 'activate' this since I don't notice it's happening until I leave LR to clik on an icon for a different application.  I can't see it being a preference since it doesn't happen without LR.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about a  terminal window to try that.  Maybe I'll try another keyboard first... I have a spare one of those.  I have a feeling however, that its LR stealing the CPU cycles... whatever that means.  LR runs quite slow on my Dual 2.0 G5.

francois

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 03:58:15 am »

Yes.. that's exactly what's happening then... somehow the CMD key is continually being held down, but this only happens after I've been working in LR.  I don't know what sequence of events I'm doing in LR to 'activate' this since I don't notice it's happening until I leave LR to clik on an icon for a different application.  I can't see it being a preference since it doesn't happen without LR.  I'm afraid I don't know anything about a  terminal window to try that.  Maybe I'll try another keyboard first... I have a spare one of those.  I have a feeling however, that its LR stealing the CPU cycles... whatever that means.  LR runs quite slow on my Dual 2.0 G5.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mike,
Here's a few things that you could try:

- Swap your keyboard for a another one, remove any card reader.
- Create a new user account (Apple Menu>System Preferences…>Accounts) and log-in under this new account. Try to see if LR also "locks" the Cmd key.  If the issue is not present (when logged under this new account) then some preferences in your original account are probably responsible for the problem.
- Try to delete (or move to the desktop) the universal access preference file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.universalaccess.plist). Log-out and log-in again. The theory is that some key combinations might activate Universal access. It's unlikely but very easy to test.
- Now for the terminal trick. Go into your Utilities folder and open Terminal.app. Open LR and make sure that the window created by Terminal.app is visible (ie resize LR window). Type the following command in the terminal window:
top -ocpu -R -F -s 2 -n30
and press the Return key. This will give you a list of the different processes, sorted by CPU usage. Then, do your stuff in LR and keep an eye on the terminal window. You should see "who" is stealing CPU cycles. When you want to exit the terminal, just click on its window press q and the top process will terminate. Or you can force quit Terminal.app, it won't have any side-effect.

I'm also using LR on Dual G5s (2 to 4 GB of RAM) and while it's not as fast as on new Intel powered Macs it's still OK for the biggest Canon RAW files.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 03:59:45 am by francois »
Francois

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 07:34:47 am »

Those of us who have a Creative Suite 3 suite installed probably already have the server running anyway, so there's no extra management overhead.
It is plausible that you usually don't have any need to manage the database. However, databases don't completely manage themselves yet, and even automated systems may need tuning.

MySQL also offers a variety of storage backends (MyISAM, InnoDB, merge, memory, BDB, cvs, NDB, ...), and in some usage patterns, it pays to switch to something different, especially in multi-user environments.

My guess is that database server management is an NP hard or NP complete problem, so I find it unlikely that there's "no extra management overhead" in the long run, even if Adobe were clever.

But for a few users, you are likely to be essentially correct.
Jan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up