Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P20 errors..errors...errors  (Read 4284 times)

chuckstjohn

P20 errors..errors...errors
« on: July 06, 2007, 03:50:06 pm »

Hi all..this is my first post so I beg your indulgence.

I have a P20 back purchased about 2 years ago.  Almost since day one, I have been getting error messages (one is 7227) and dialogs on the H1 screen such as, "Detach Magazine", "Attach Magazine", "Lens error", "System error" . . . the list goes on and on.

When I send it to the dealer, they pronounce it fine and return it.  It promptly reverts to its evilness and refuses to work.  Did I say this only happens tethered?  I shoot to both a MacBook Pro and a MacMini.  When I use a replacement back from the dealer, all works well on both computers.  When I use mine, all hell breaks loose.  Failed captures, images with all sorts of wonderful vertical lines or only half an image.

As the dealer has no difficulties, is it possible that my H1 is defective?  I'd be grateful for any one else's observations or hearsay information.

Chuck St. John • Birmingham/South Florida • 205.266.0918 • chuckstjohn@mac.com

Mort54

• http://
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:07:09 pm »

I have a P20 back purchased about 2 years ago.  Almost since day one, I have been getting error messages (one is 7227) and dialogs on the H1 screen such as, "Detach Magazine", "Attach Magazine", "Lens error", "System error" . . . the list goes on and on.

When I send it to the dealer, they pronounce it fine and return it.  It promptly reverts to its evilness and refuses to work.  Did I say this only happens tethered?  I shoot to both a MacBook Pro and a MacMini.  When I use a replacement back from the dealer, all works well on both computers.  When I use mine, all hell breaks loose.  Failed captures, images with all sorts of wonderful vertical lines or only half an image.

As the dealer has no difficulties, is it possible that my H1 is defective?  I'd be grateful for any one else's observations or hearsay information.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One thing I've noticed on my P45 is that if I push in the power button to turn the back on, and inadvertantly hold the power button in for a little bit longer than necessary, the back sometimes freaks out. Before I bought my P45, I tested a loaner unit for a day, and I noticed it did the same thing. Only a quick press of the power button is needed. I don't know if this is a cause of some of your errors, or even if this is common to all Phase One backs, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Mort.
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:17:15 pm »

I have a P20 back purchased about 2 years ago.  Almost since day one, I have been getting error messages (one is 7227) and dialogs on the H1 screen such as, "Detach Magazine", "Attach Magazine", "Lens error", "System error" . . . the list goes on and on.

When I send it to the dealer, they pronounce it fine and return it.  It promptly reverts to its evilness and refuses to work.  Did I say this only happens tethered?  I shoot to both a MacBook Pro and a MacMini.  When I use a replacement back from the dealer, all works well on both computers.  When I use mine, all hell breaks loose.  Failed captures, images with all sorts of wonderful vertical lines or only half an image.

As the dealer has no difficulties, is it possible that my H1 is defective?  I'd be grateful for any one else's observations or hearsay information.

Chuck St. John • Birmingham/South Florida •  • chuckstjohn@mac.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

do a google search, check the forums..almost all you are experiencing has to do with the H1....maybe it is a combination with the P20, but the phase backs are usually rock-solid...

but what you are describing sounds like 2 seperate problems...the first has to do with the H1 (detach mag, lens error,....) the second (missing frames, lines,....) when shooting tethered sounds like a firewire problem....i use a macbook pro (and have shot tethered with powerbooks/macbooks for years) and never have any problems....how long is your FW cable? you should not go over 12 or 15ft....try a different cable...i think the mac mini FW port does not provide enough power (and the P20 can't be forced to use the P battery, as far as i know...)..some people just shoot with FW repeaters to make sure anyway...i never had to....try a different FW port on your macbook (the FW800 port with adapter...) ....try to isolate the problem.....

the H1 is known to misbehave, but mostly nothing that the good old battery in/out does not fix....annoying but most people live with it....
if your P20 comes back from phase and they say it is fine...try a different H1 (rent one for a day?)

unless there is a hardware problem with the P20 (FW port,... all of which phase checks before they send it back to you) there is really not much that can go wrong with it....

hope any of this helps...good luck

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:14:45 am »

This could also be a firmware related issue. The latest firmware for the P20 is 3.3.6, which was released around April of this year. H1 firmware is 8.1.4 or later and lens firmware is 9.0.0 or later according to the Phase knowledge base.

Paul is also right about the FW connection. Half-captures and the famous purple smear are common symptoms of this issue. Macs are very fickle in their FW bus power...while some have issues, others do not. I would definitely try a bus powered/force battery solution and see if the problem goes away...am not sure if the P20 has a battery only option in the config menu, but I tend to think not. Why Phase didn't include it in the latest firmware upgrade for my P25 escapes me, as I can't see why it would be that difficult to do, but maybe I'm missing something.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

Mark_Tucker

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:12:09 am »

As Paul Schefz comments, many people have experienced these issues with the H1. You are not alone. It might be tough to put your finger on the exact issue.

* Capture Integration in Atlanta sells a tiny cable for the "older backs" that deals with power issues. It plugs into the FW port of the back. I would recommend calling them and buying that cable. Sorry, do not know what it's called, officially. It makes sure that the back has enough power. http://www.captureintegration.com, ask for Tim Palmer.

* My P25 had the same issues. The newer backs have been changed slightly to avoid this issue, ie, P30, P21.

* Honestly, my opinion is that all these issues surround the H1 body, not the Phase backs. I sold all H1 gear and have never looked back. I got all of those error messages, and only at the most inopportune times. The H1 plots against you, and waits for the perfect light, before it fails. Since switching to Contax, those error messages are a thing of the past. I'm not telling you to switch, but I am reporting real-world history. It is Victor Hasselblad himself, orchestrating these error messages, from the grave -- still pissed off that they switched to 645 shape.

* In the POWER section of your Phase menu, check your setting, either AutoDetect, or Battery, or FW. That will also bite you, if the Powerbook's power drops below 50%, if you're on location.

* There are many variables to track this down. I'd talk to Capture Integration; very helpful and knowledgeable, and then, when you upgrade, do it with them. Sometimes you need a dealer with knowledge and availability. Phase One support, as a company is, shall we say, less than stellar. You need a solid dealer with real-world experience.

* Is that your real name? Sounds like a "film star" name.

- Mark Tucker, http://www.marktucker.com, aka John Holmes

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 04:02:04 pm »

The cable that Mark is talking about it the FireWire Port Isolator.  It will force the P20 and P25 to automatically utilize the on board battery.  Here is a link to show you what it is:                      

http://www.captureintegration.com/sales/ex...rtisolator.html

Have you tried to use another FireWire cable?  Sometimes an older worn out cable can be your weakest link.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com

digitalcameraman

• Capture Integration
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 08:53:54 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126874\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chuck:

You have a firewire power issue as others have mentioned which there is a simple fix for and you may also have an issue with the early firmware in the H1 body. Call Hasselblad and confirm that you have the latest firmware in the H1 body. I had 3 H1 and one did this constantly. Now all my H1 and H2 body work great but these are the error messages I got when the P backs first started shipping. The P1 P20 fireware upgrade helped this but not completely. Trying a differnt H1 or H2 body should help you determine this.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions, Inc
150 22nd Street South
St Petersburg, Fl 33712
www.imageproduction.com
chris@imageproduction.com
813-335-2473

Phase One Camera Backs New and Used
Phase One Test Studio Florida
Phase One Support and Production Motorhome
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Capture Integ

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:11:50 pm »

One thing I've noticed on my P45 is that if I push in the power button to turn the back on, and inadvertantly hold the power button in for a little bit longer than necessary, the back sometimes freaks out. Before I bought my P45, I tested a loaner unit for a day, and I noticed it did the same thing. Only a quick press of the power button is needed. I don't know if this is a cause of some of your errors, or even if this is common to all Phase One backs, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Mort.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126879\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Modern computers try to account for many user behavior peculiarity, but backs, and other cameras, such as the M8 and Leica DMR as well as SLRs as the Kodak all save space for real processing.

I have noticed with every device I have, over time, that holding the power, or hitting several times can confuse the start up. In almost all cases where the device 'went crazy' just removing the battery for 20-30 seconds (but putting it back too :-)  ) solves the problem.

What happens is a reboot as in any processor and the capacitors that bridge transients have a chance to discharge. The M8 was one percular beast in this way till the latest firmware.

That said, I actually haven't had an issue with my P45, though the older P25 I traded acted up at least once a year.

regards
Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up