Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO  (Read 3497 times)

stever

DxO
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:04:54 am »

Have a number of images with 5D and 24-105 at wide end - knew distortion would be noticeable and it is

I may not be using search correctly, but couldn't find any relevant posts

DxO supports a whole lot of lenses, including long focal length - curious what they do with these lenses

francois

DxO
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 04:56:34 am »

You might also want to look into alternative (to DxO) solutions provided by Kekus (Mac) or PTLens (PC). I've not used that last versions of DxO but I seem to remember that distance info was not provided on Canon lenses to DxO and had to be entered manually. This might be incorrect with the last versions and newer lenses/bodies like your 5D and 24-105 L.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 04:57:03 am by francois »
Francois

frankric

• http://www.frankrichardson.com.au
DxO
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 06:15:57 am »

I've not used that last versions of DxO but I seem to remember that distance info was not provided on Canon lenses to DxO and had to be entered manually. This might be incorrect with the last versions and newer lenses/bodies like your 5D and 24-105 L.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126804\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is still the case. I've got the current version of DxO and with the 5D and 24-105L there is no distance info available.

Regards

Frank

marcmccalmont

DxO
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:18:30 am »

DXO and the 24-105 is a great combination
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Barry Prager

DxO
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:40:05 am »

I use DXO Pro with my Nikon D200 and my favorite lens, the 18-200 VR.  DXO does a great job correcting for it's unique distortion.  You can go the the Ken Rockwell web site to see how DXO works with Canon lenses.  http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/dxo/optics-pro.htm  To get the full benefit of the program, you'll need to shoot in the RAW format.  I use some of the features in DXO and then open the picture in Photoshop to put the shine on it.  DXO can be used as a stand alone or as a plug in.  Be sure and check out the film pack, which is an option.  You can choose different film or camera "looks," and sometimes it's bingo and some times no.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:42:28 am by Barry Prager »

stever

DxO
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:59:47 pm »

Thanks, i downloaded PTLens  -- price, and the plug-in works with my work-flow

so far have only used it for lens distortion and perspective almost entirely with the 24-105. perspective sliders aren't quite intuitive, and are "sticky", but i'll blame the later on my old, slow computer

side-by-side screen comparison looks good, but i haven't made any large comparison prints yet

the older comparisons between PTLens and DXO were favorable to PTLens, and the latest reviews for DXO are somewhat mixed, 16-9 in particular

other than the time involved, is there any reason for not processing images for distortion?  i'm surprised at the amount of correction at mid and longer focal lengths
Pages: [1]   Go Up