Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 print length issue  (Read 9414 times)

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« on: July 05, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

Has anyone managed to print a print that is longer than 2750mm on the z3100 from a windows platform?

I have just lost a huge print job because the windows drivers (Tried 2 x Windows XP and 1 x Windows Vista 32 machines) will all only print to a maximum length of 2750mm and not a mm longer.

If the print is longer the printer says receiving and processing data and never starts to print.

I intend taking this up with Barcelona tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone else had tried this?

Thanks

Robert

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:50:35 pm »

Has anyone managed to print a print that is longer than 2750mm on the z3100 from a windows platform?

I have just lost a huge print job because the windows drivers (Tried 2 x Windows XP and 1 x Windows Vista 32 machines) will all only print to a maximum length of 2750mm and not a mm longer.

If the print is longer the printer says receiving and processing data and never starts to print.

I intend taking this up with Barcelona tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone else had tried this?

Thanks

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126636\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you printing from Photoshop?  I've not run into any length limits if using Qimage unless the spool file craps out.
Regards,
Ron

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:55:04 pm »

Yes from Photoshop. But it is the size in the driver that seems to be the issue.

The problem occure even if most of the print is just white space from the driver.

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 03:04:38 pm »

Yes from Photoshop. But it is the size in the driver that seems to be the issue.

The problem occure even if most of the print is just white space from the driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126640\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

HP lists max print length as 300 ft.  Its possible you've run into a Photoshop limit.  I'm assuming you're having Photoshop manage colors so its processing away before sending anything to the driver.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:05:48 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 03:20:40 pm »

HP lists max print length as 300 ft.  Its possible you've run into a Photoshop limit.  I'm assuming you're having Photoshop manage colors so its processing away before sending anything to the driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126642\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just printed the print on my epson from Photoshop and besides a smaller width it handles the length no problem.

Could anyone else possibly try this with a 44" z3100 on widows. No need to actually print the job, just see if the printer will start printing if the media size is longer than 2750mm or 2800mm.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 03:52:08 pm by Panascape »

namartinnz

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:12:08 pm »

I think it may be an issue with your resolution or amount of pixels. I tried printing a 6m x 1m poster, but had to downsize the resolution from 150ppi to 125ppi. Worked perfectly using Qimage.

Neal

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 05:59:26 pm »

Thanks Neal, but I have printed 4m x 1m images to a 9800 with the windows driver and Photoshop before.

I guess Qimage may be doing something different in the way it process data but unfortunately that still doesn't help me as I don’t have it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 06:06:19 pm by Panascape »

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:38:07 pm »

Thanks Neal, but I have printed 4m x 1m images to a 9800 with the windows driver and Photoshop before.

I guess Qimage may be doing something different in the way it process data but unfortunately that still doesn't help me as I don’t have it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can download the free 30 day trial version [a href=\"http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/downloads.htm]here.[/url]
Regards,
Ron

namartinnz

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 10:31:12 pm »

Robert

I'd definitely look at using Qimage if you have no luck with the HP driver. I haven't uses anything else in the last 6 years and it's never let me down. Saying that, it doesn't let HP off the hook with their driver issues and solve your particular dilemma.

Neal

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 11:52:42 pm »

On Windows XP SP2 and CS3 I have printed a 23x65" print at 300 dpi on a 44" Z3100. It's hanging in a Gallery now. However, this was printed on the previous generation firmware and driver and I have not tried the new driver and firmware.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 01:45:25 am »

On Windows XP SP2 and CS3 I have printed a 23x65" print at 300 dpi on a 44" Z3100. It's hanging in a Gallery now. However, this was printed on the previous generation firmware and driver and I have not tried the new driver and firmware.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126733\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jim, it will print up to 108" no problem but will not go over that.

Robert

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 03:32:07 am »

Hi Jim, it will print up to 108" no problem but will not go over that.

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126787\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Qimage will make several print pages and stitch them seamlessly, that's the way it overcomes limitations other applications and the OS have. It is hard to say where the problem lies, could be the pixel limit in PS or a limit in the OS, or a spool limit.

Depending on the native resolution of the printer which varies between 180-720 PPI on an Epson and between 300-1200 PPI on the Z3100 you may hit the pixel limit without knowing it.

It is often easier to find a solution that works than to dig for why it doesn't work.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 01:19:53 pm »

This has just been confirmed as a know issue. The max printable length is 2771.8 mm so while we wait fo rthe next driver relase, I assume we just tell our clients to go else where but to please come back to us when our printer actually works.

Fred Ragland

• http://
Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 01:38:36 pm »

This has just been confirmed as a know issue. The max printable length is 2771.8 mm so while we wait fo rthe next driver relase, I assume we just tell our clients to go else where but to please come back to us when our printer actually works.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126851\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hmm. a little over 9 feet.  For me, that would be a 42 x 108+ inch print.  Haven't had to disappoint any clients yet, but we can dream, can't we?

Recked

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 02:02:47 pm »

Hello,

Just my two cents but I agree totally with Panscape. It shows poor quality programming on HP's part and it can literally cost a small business what could be a major client and a large portion of their revenues.

Why would HP not think that anyone would want to print beyond that length to begin with? Is is some arbitrary number or is there a reason for it stopping there.

again just my two cents................

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 04:16:50 pm »

Hello,

Just my two cents but I agree totally with Panscape. It shows poor quality programming on HP's part and it can literally cost a small business what could be a major client and a large portion of their revenues.

Why would HP not think that anyone would want to print beyond that length to begin with? Is is some arbitrary number or is there a reason for it stopping there.

again just my two cents................
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you read the HP specs they intend for the printer to be able to handle up to 300'.  That's a football field.  I haven't seen any rolls that long though.

Yes, there are generally reasons for what appears as though it might be an arbitrary limit.  File size is generally at the top of the list.  Imagine the file size of a print 44" x 10' at 300 dpi.
Regards,
Ron

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 08:04:54 am »

Hi Ron,

Sorry I should have been more clear in saying HP has confirmed that this is another driver bug, not a file size or pixle limitation.

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 09:41:03 am »

Hi Ron,

Sorry I should have been more clear in saying HP has confirmed that this is another driver bug, not a file size or pixle limitation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127099\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, Robert.  That list of driver bugs is piling up.  Hopefully they're working on a new release.
Regards,
Ron

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 01:52:51 pm »

Believe me it’s not only the list of driver problems that is piling up.

Additionally I have been informed that there are currently no plans to resolve the issue of print termination when ink runs out but rather as usual this will be carried over to the next printer.

The truth of the matter is has become blatantly obvious that we paid to become HP’s guinea pigs for the next generation of printer.

Robert

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 01:16:13 am »

I have printed quite a few prints almost or at 3 metres on Mac BUT I had to reduce file size to 150 ppi or after + 1/2 hour of spooling the driver errored out. I didn't try on the PC. It is already frustrating enough to have to trouble shoot files that should print without problem. I am hoping that IP7 will be tweaked and profiles delivered as even though I have always preferred to use a driver for simple workflow, I need to print and spool files with no errors, no surprises.

If it's true that these printers cannot pause and continue a print job with a cartridge change , then the possibility to run unmanned production printing will have to be relegated to other printer makes that can.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up