Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 print length issue  (Read 9423 times)

rdonson

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 09:42:57 am »

Believe me it’s not only the list of driver problems that is piling up.

Additionally I have been informed that there are currently no plans to resolve the issue of print termination when ink runs out but rather as usual this will be carried over to the next printer.

The truth of the matter is has become blatantly obvious that we paid to become HP’s guinea pigs for the next generation of printer.

Robert
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127138\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Print termination means that no professional print shop will touch the printer for overnight unattended print jobs.  HP is hurting themselves badly.  I wonder if the Z6100 has this "feature" as well?

Yes, we're guinea pigs of a sort but the $1,000 rebate and free paper helped me deal with that.  

Still, its the most versatile printer I've used.  Every printer I've encountered, Epson, Canon and HP, have quirks that are annoying and at times aggravating.  We seem to optimize around the quirks/limitations we can live with.  Right now, for me, the HP Z3100 is my best choice.  There's no single printer that we can't find fault with at this time.
Regards,
Ron

dkeyes

• http://
Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 02:12:42 am »

Hmm. a little over 9 feet.  For me, that would be a 42 x 108+ inch print.  Haven't had to disappoint any clients yet, but we can dream, can't we?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126858\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
This is the same size limitation the Epson 9800 has (around 9' max) using photoshop CS2. I thought this was partly a photoshop bug/problem to fix? I would have assumed CS3 would have done that. Maybe it did for the Epson but not HP?
When running through a rip, the Epson has no limit but paper size. I would also assume that this is the same with HP.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:14:09 am by dkeyes »

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 03:29:42 am »

I tested this to ensure that it wasn't CS2 as my epson prints over 2m without any problems.

Geoff Wittig

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 09:28:35 am »

Print termination means that no professional print shop will touch the printer for overnight unattended print jobs.  HP is hurting themselves badly.  I wonder if the Z6100 has this "feature" as well?

Yes, we're guinea pigs of a sort but the $1,000 rebate and free paper helped me deal with that. 

Still, its the most versatile printer I've used.  Every printer I've encountered, Epson, Canon and HP, have quirks that are annoying and at times aggravating.  We seem to optimize around the quirks/limitations we can live with.  Right now, for me, the HP Z3100 is my best choice.  There's no single printer that we can't find fault with at this time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly! The first six months I owned my Epson 7600 it drove me crazy with poor color fidelity, limited gamut and the obnoxious matte/photo black issue. Once I got Bill Atkinson's profiles my results were much better, but the printer still had its quirks. The Z3100 isn't perfect, but the built-in capacity to profile 3rd party papers (at least to my satisfaction), the effortless black switching and absolutely fabulous black & white prints make it the best printer out there for my needs, and likely for the needs of most devoted amateurs & fine art printers.

dkeyes

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 02:11:42 am »

I still think the problem lies with Photoshop as well. Has anyone printed an image over 108" at 300ppi on either Epson or HP printers? (not using a rip or Qimage) I suspect not, since I think there is definitely a pixel count limitation with CS2. It would be worth finding or getting a demo copy of CS3 to see if it works. A friend of mine had to buy a rip to print his large images (longer than 108") on his 9800 using CS2.

Panascape

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2007, 05:01:14 am »

MY Epson will print the same image from CS2 to 3m with no problems.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:01:34 am by Panascape »

dkeyes

Z3100 print length issue
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 05:08:51 pm »

MY Epson will print the same image from CS2 to 3m with no problems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have never heard of someone printing longer than this on an Epson at a high (300ppi) resolution using Photoshop. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same for HP and Canon as well.

(update) So I just read the other thread which explains alot. Sounds like Epson should update their driver for the same reason as HP.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:16:38 pm by dkeyes »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up