Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Batteries  (Read 4678 times)

RicAgu

Phase One Batteries
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:01:36 am »

Is there any difference in the batteries for the different backs?

I use lenmar BP-911's that are great, but I remember Michael talking about the Phase brand batteries having a higher amperage and they last longer.  Would the higher amperage do anything to an older P25?  If not would it give it more shots?

I noticed in one of the Phase or CI videos that the new WiFi seemed integrated into the future batteries?  Is this how it is going to work?

Does anyone have a good source for P batteries in the 2800MAH type that Phase sells?  everywhere I look they range from 1800 to 2000 MAH.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Harris Edelman

• http://
Phase One Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 05:20:26 am »

Would the higher amperage do anything to an older P25?  If not would it give it more shots?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126337\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Short answer: no; yes.

Longer answer:

A battery's charge capacity rating, expressed in Ampere-hours or milliAmpere-hours, conveys no information on how much current, expressed in Amperes (or milliAmperes), the battery will instantaneously deliver. But there is a reason both terms use the Ampere, I'll get to that in a couple of paragraphs.

A battery will not deliver more current than a circuit or device draws from it (this is in contrast to an overvoltage situation: greatly simplified, voltage is force, current is the number of electrons moved by that force). In some failure modes--say, short circuits or other runaway conditions--a circuit or device will suddenly take all the current that the battery can deliver; batteries often have fuses that will open before other damage occurs. Catastrophic meltdown and explosion aren't mere metaphors, here.

Back to mAh ratings... Let's say a given back draws 500mA of current when it's on. A battery rated at 1800mAh will be good (ideally) for 3.6h of operation. 2000mAh will give 4h use. 2800mAh, 5.6h. And so forth.

I'm afraid I can't presently point to alternatives to the 2800mAh batteries from Phase.  But now that you mention it, I ought to start looking, as I'll be doing extensive untethered shooting with the P30+ in a couple of months.  Naturally, I'll share what I find.

-H.

RicAgu

Phase One Batteries
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 12:25:07 pm »

WOW! TMI Harris,

But thanks so much for that.  Lenmar ( http://www.lenmar.com )is a great source for any battery you need.  Their chargers are great and their batteries are wonderful.  Their customer service is even better.  Anything goes down or isn't giving you the duration you expect, they send you a new one right away.  

But they only make 2000MAH batteries for the Phase.  If you are a Leaf, Hassy or Sinar user then you can buy what ever size you need.

So I assume because the P45 and P30 draw more power than a P25 they need the higher Amperage.

Again, thanks for the info and if you find a reilable source for 2500 or 2800 MAH batteries that will fit the Phase battery bay, please do let me know.

Where are you heading out to that you will need a lot of batteries?

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
Phase One Batteries
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 12:41:26 pm »

I too have been looking into extra batteries for my loaner P30 and then the Plus.  I’ve checked the specifications of all backs to find that they all come with the same battery, 7.2 volt 2500mAh along with a sticker showing it replaces BP-911/914/915.  Not at all sure who makes these batteries for Phase One as they are not branded other than a paper sticker with the above information.  It would appear that there is currently no way that we can obtain these 2500mAh batteries other than from Phase (at a cost of $75 US each).  There are other larger capacity batteries available that have the same voltage but I believe the physical size of the battery is just too big to fit.  It also looks like Phase has used this type of battery for some time, 7.2 volt in a lesser capacity ranging from (if I remember correctly) 1500 up to the current 2500 as specified for the Plus backs.  

I’ve found several 2000mAh batteries that are 7.2 volt that run around $10-20 US each.  It’s my understanding that what is more important than anything else if the voltage, you need to find a 7.2 volt battery.  The 2000mAh batteries will just not run as long as a 2500mAh will but will more than likely cost way way less as well.

I too am looking into getting extra power for a long drive from Arizona to Alaska next year.  The current plan is to buy another battery from my dealer when the Plus comes in giving me a total of 3 2500mAh batteries, and I’ll be getting a couple of 2000mAh batteries as well.

Hope this helps

don

Ron Steinberg

Phase One Batteries
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:20:04 pm »

The Phase One batteries are 2500mA, the Lenmar's are 2000mA. We sell extra lenmar's with almost every Phase back we sell, with no issues at all. Yes the Phase batteries will last a bit longer, but at a premium price.

Ron

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Phase One Batteries
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 11:07:50 pm »

The current Phase One digital backs with a Value Added warranty (3 year) ship with two 2500 mAh
batteries.  As long as your are careful about using the rear display and viewing time, you should be able to get through an entire shoot with two batteries.  I would suggest at least two batteries as a minimum, but it depends on what / how you shoot and your availability to recharge.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
Capture Integration
www.captureintegration.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up