Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: glossy coatings  (Read 2851 times)

griffithimage

glossy coatings
« on: July 03, 2007, 03:41:08 pm »

Hi, I'm looking for a product to apply over the surface of my 9800 prints to make them very glossy- cibachrome if I could get it. Anybody have any suggestions? Bad experiences?

David

kers

• Pieter Kers
glossy coatings
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:45:49 pm »

Hi, I'm looking for a product to apply over the surface of my 9800 prints to make them very glossy- cibachrome if I could get it. Anybody have any suggestions? Bad experiences?

David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

try 3-5 mm acrylaat( = perspex)+ dibond ( aluminium plastic sandwich on the back) : that is what many art photographers choose.

It is not cheap but looks great !
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
glossy coatings
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:32:44 pm »

David

You can overlaminate with a 5 or 10mil gloss laminate. Make sure you print on a coated semi-gloss, luster or gloss paper/

Regards,

Marc Sitkin
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
glossy coatings
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 03:27:01 pm »

David
There are dozens of overcoat products. Some include UV protection. Some are solvent based. Some water based. Some will give you a high gloss. Some come in just gloss and matte and let you mix the two together to get the gloss level you want.

For a high gloss, you might want to look at Breathing Color's Glamour II acrylic coating. I've seen it on canvas and it does quite a nice high gloss. I think it's designed mainly for canvas, but it may work for papers too. May take more coats for paper.

Basically, do a search on acrylic coatings for inkjet prints. I've sure you'll find plenty of hits. Call and ask for samples.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
glossy coatings
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 05:26:15 pm »

Whatever coating you use, make sure the print has dried THOROUGHLY first, like at least 24 hours; 72 hours is better. Otherwise ink solvents will be trapped under the coating or lamination, causing fogging or even preventing the coating from adhering properly, resulting in peeling or bubbles. If you're going to laminate, matte paper is best, as it is far less susceptible to air bubbles being trapped under the lamination. With my 7600, I used Epson Enhanced Matte and laminated with glossy stock to get very durable laminated prints I could pass around at shows without being damaged.

Gary Damaskos

glossy coatings
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:18:27 pm »

If you hot laminate the below statement is good. For cold laminate I only use gloss paper (to laminate) otherwise air trapped by the uneven surfaces will cause a "graying" or stated another way a loss of dmax especially in blacks.
Gary

If you're going to laminate, matte paper is best, as it is far less susceptible to air bubbles being trapped under the lamination. With my 7600, I used Epson Enhanced Matte and laminated with glossy stock to get very durable laminated prints I could pass around at shows without being damaged.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127034\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up