Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland air and bags???  (Read 20762 times)

francois

Iceland air and bags???
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 10:21:25 am »

Mauricio,
Beautiful photos, congratulations!  And you had some good weather. During my last trip to Iceland (10 days), we enjoyed only 2.5 hours of sunny weather.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:21:51 am by francois »
Francois

mauricio

• http://www.mauriciomatos.com
Iceland air and bags???
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 10:29:27 am »

Thank you guys

And yes, I was very very lucky with the weather. 5 days, only about 10 minutes of serious rain and maybe an hour of very light rain.
Mauricio Matos
[url=http://www.mauriciom

Stephen Starkman

Iceland air and bags???
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 01:15:46 pm »

Icelandair didn't ding me either way from Halifax...but Westjet from Toronto did!

Maybe showing up early for check-in and smiling alot helped? Nahhh......!

Stephen

BubbaJon

Iceland air and bags???
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 12:22:25 pm »

*Sigh* I had a year tour courtesy of the Air Force in '79.  I love that country.  Sounds like much is still the same.  Just a few observations that folks may be interested in but do research as this was almost 30 years ago.
There are tour companies based in Norway and Denmark that organize bus/bike tours of Iceland for a reasonable rate.  They take you and your bike to a specific location and turn you loose.  They provide maps and will meet you in a specified # of days at the next location.  I believe you can cover Iceland in about 2 weeks this way.
If you want birds go to the north.  If you want glaciers and rustic farm life go south.
A little known fabulous location is in the south at Skogafoss.  There is a dirt path to the right of the falls that will take you up to the top.  We actually took a 4 wheeler up there.  From there you can follow a stunning canyon all the way back to the glacier.   Do NOT take the 4WD across any of the streams up around the glacier - they are full of flint and will shred tires (you might well ask how we know this! ;-)
At the mouth of the canyon you can climb down and make your way all the way back following the glacial river.  There is some stunning scenery, flora and fauna down inside as it traps the heat.
Anyway - wonderful country, wonderful people.  Hitchhiking and backpacking didn't used to be any issue at all.  One thing to remember is that many families maintain their family farms in the country and retreat there on the weekends.  So you can easily hitch rides from the major cities  to remote locations and get a free tour guide to boot.  Just be sure you're available on Sunday to catch the traffic back in to the cities.  Icelandic hospitality is almost embarrassing (for us) in how much they give and share.  Most Icelandics speak 5 languages and English is virtually universal.
Y'all take care!
Jon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up