Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Star wheel marks  (Read 3156 times)

Harry Carpenter

Z3100 Star wheel marks
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:52:02 pm »

I use Kodak Lustre paper on my z3100.
It ( eventually ) produces great quality images, but I am having snags with these damn pizza wheel marks on the face of the prints which renders tham unuseable.
I have calibrated for the paper and then succesfully produced a series of prints for framing. I come back tonight and printed a few more and I have these marks vertically all the way down the prints. It is embossed into the face of the paper even in areas with no ink coverage.
It also happens if I select application managed colours as opposed to printer managed and I have no idea why this change should presumably cause the printer to select a different paper thickness. It is now starting to irritate me. I spend a lot of time getting the colours correct and then just hit a brick wall with these roller marks. Why cant HP just use rubber rollers like I believe the Epsons do. Yes it is a great printer but there seems to be another problem everytime I think I have it all sorted.  

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
Z3100 Star wheel marks
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:19:25 pm »

Harry,

Get in touch with HP support.  Several forum contributors have complained about star wheel marks and had service come out and replace the assembly -- apparently it has been redesigned.  Hopefully someone who's had this done will chime in.  I've not had the problem myself.

-s

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
Z3100 Star wheel marks
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:02:08 pm »

Harry,

Two things,

1) Have you tried adjusting the drying time for this paper in the HP Easy Care Center?

2) The Pizza wheel assembly has been redesigned twice to modify the tension put on the paper. Try #1 first and then if it does not solve the problem, call HP and request the part change.

I have seen Kodak and Illford papers come up consistently with this problem. The ink may not dry fast enough on these papers.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Harry Carpenter

Z3100 Star wheel marks
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 03:39:24 am »

Jim and Sean.
Thanks for the replies. I will call HP to see if they can solve this issue.
Jim, I didnt think it was the ink drying time as I could see the mark right across the print but looking at it now in daylight I can see that the mark stops at the edge of the inked area except for the right hand edge of the print where it is heavily embossed into the paper base.
Once I get HP to sort it I will post the outcome here.
Thanks for your advice.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Z3100 Star wheel marks
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 02:59:48 am »

Is this just star wheel marks or is it the 14mm stripes the rollers are embedding?

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
Z3100 Star wheel marks
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 04:17:55 pm »

Is this just star wheel marks or is it the 14mm stripes the rollers are embedding?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Neil,
I have this problem "14mm stripes the rollers are embedding" with the Z3100ps GP model.

I had been printing a lot of Matte & Art Papers without any problems.

When I tried the following "Glossy Papers..."
HP Premium Instant Dry Photo Gloss Paper (that came as a sample roll)
Lexjet Sunset Air Dried Fibre Gloss 295g Paper

I am getting very bad roller marks every 14mm embedding tracks in the print. Where the rollers are contacting the gloss is being dulled a bit.

Anyone get a solution for this phenomenon?

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM
Pages: [1]   Go Up