Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and barrel distortion  (Read 7262 times)

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
Lightroom and barrel distortion
« on: June 30, 2007, 08:30:03 pm »

For some pictures, I'd wish to fix barrel-distortion and converging lines. Think architecture with a wide lens. For that, I've included ShiftN as external editor which even supports 16bit tiffs.

The good part: It works fully automatic. It corrects perspectives and gives good results.

The bad part: It needs vertical lines to work reliable. No lens database.

Which solution are you using, which advantage would it give?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:30:40 pm by rck »

DavidW

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 10:32:32 pm »

I use PTLens (which is available for Windows only) for lens distortion, and Photoshop CS3's Lens Distortion filter for perspective correction.

David

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:42:06 am »

I use PTLens (which is available for Windows only) for lens distortion, and Photoshop CS3's Lens Distortion filter for perspective correction.
David
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And which one do you like better? How do you include those two in your workflow?

DavidW

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:06:09 am »

It's not an either/or - you need both for the jobs you mentioned.

PTLens is based around the lens code in Panorama Tools, coupled with a database of coefficients based on camera and lens. This one can be automated, for example via a Photoshop action. Alternatively, you can use the standalone version of PTLens.

For perspective correction, I export the settings to XMP, open the RAW file as a Camera Raw Smart Object in Photoshop CS3 (I wish that Lightroom 1.1 would have added support to do that within Lightroom, but no such luck), then I apply PTLens as a Smart Filter followed by Lens Distortion as a Smart Filter. Save the file in Photoshop and synchronise the folder in Lightroom to pick up the new file and you're done.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up