Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP B9180 add custom paper icc profile confusion  (Read 4544 times)

davelasker

HP B9180 add custom paper icc profile confusion
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:00:32 pm »

I am the new owner of a B9180. I am trying to add the ICC profiles supplied by Hahnemuhle.

For example, Hahnemuhle's website has a profile HFA9180GermanEtching.icc for German Etching, and their profile instructions say to set the paper type to "HP Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper".

But when I add their ICC profile, I can't assign it directly to "HP Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper". I can only assign it to a new custom paper, and use a generic paper category of "Watercolor".

The Install ICC Profile dialog has is a 2nd radio button that says "Assign to an existing paper". but the dropdown list only shows custom papers that I entered, not the built-in ones. So I don't see any way to assign this ICC profile directly to "HP Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper".

So I gave up and added a new custom paper type "German Etching", with category "Watercolor", and associated Hahnemuhle's ICC profile with it.

Now, I am ready to print, using the Photoshop plugin. I am using Windows XP.

In order to select ICC profile HFA9180GermanEtching.icc, I must set the paper type to "German Etching". If I select paper type of "HP Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper" (or any other paper), then my newly-added ICC profile doesn't show up on the list of available profiles.

If I don't use the Photoshop plugin, then all is OK. I can select HP Hahnemuhle Watercolor Paper in the printer driver, and select the correct profile in Photoshop Print With Preview.

But I would really like to use the Photoshop plugin. Am I going to get the same results both ways? Or in otherwords, do the generic paper types listed in the Add Custom Paper dialog with Photoshop plugin do exactly the same thing as the corresponding HP-specific paper types with Photoshop Print With Preview?

Thanks for the help!

Dave

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 05:14:47 pm »

Not direct help but you might want to try this place ...

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/

davelasker

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 07:53:56 pm »

Not direct help but you might want to try this place ...

That was a huge help! I found the solution here:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/message/823

The solution is to right-click on the profile file in Explorer, select "Associate", and associate that profile with the B9180. Once that is done, the user-installed profiles are visible in HP Photoshop plugin with all paper types.

Thanks!

Dave
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 01:39:53 pm by davelasker »
Pages: [1]   Go Up