Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 1.1 Noise Reduction  (Read 14977 times)

macgyver

1.1 Noise Reduction
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:43:46 pm »

After installing 1.1 many of my photos have taken a drasticly different appearance.  In the past, for most applications I left the default NR in lightroom at 25 leaving high ISO shots with a somewhat grainy, but sharp appearance.  However, now, everything seems to change/have changed to having very (for lack of better term) digicam-like NR.  Details and colors look heavily smeared.  Even when I drop the NR to 0 it does not improve much.  Does anyone know how the new noise reduction works, compared to the old?  Or is this some other problem, sharpening or somesuch?

The View

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 01:39:51 am »

Are you sure this has to do with noise reduction?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

KeithR

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:43:10 am »

After installing 1.1 many of my photos have taken a drasticly different appearance.  In the past, for most applications I left the default NR in lightroom at 25 leaving high ISO shots with a somewhat grainy, but sharp appearance.  However, now, everything seems to change/have changed to having very (for lack of better term) digicam-like NR.  Details and colors look heavily smeared.  Even when I drop the NR to 0 it does not improve much.  Does anyone know how the new noise reduction works, compared to the old?  Or is this some other problem, sharpening or somesuch?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This is discussed somewhat in the 1.1 tutorial update.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

macgyver

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:22:39 pm »

Are you sure this has to do with noise reduction?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125552\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, hence the last sentance of my first post.

This is discussed somewhat in the 1.1 tutorial update.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which tutorial?

The View

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:51:53 pm »

Which tutorial?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess he means a tutorial on adobe's lightroom site. I haven't seen it myself, but heard it's about 45min long.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

KeithR

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:08:23 pm »

Which tutorial?

I'm talking about the update to the Luminous Landscape Light Room tutorial that can be downloaded from this site. The tutorial is about 4.5 hrs and the update is about another thirty minutes and covers whats new in the 1.1 LR upgrade.

KeithR

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:10:24 pm »

Which tutorial?

I'm talking about the update to the Luminous Landscape Light Room tutorial that can be downloaded from this site. The tutorial is about 4.5 hrs and the update is about another thirty minutes and covers whats new in the 1.1 LR upgrade.

Henry Goh

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:17:56 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125674\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Has the LR 1.1 update tutorial been released?  I just checked and did not see any update.

Henry

barryfitzgerald

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:51:13 am »

This is very strange. I have just noticed this also. LR does appear to be applying some NR even turned right down.

macgyver

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 12:16:31 am »

I watched the LL video (thanks for the freebe guys!) and it was somewhat helpful, but I still can't seem to make the connection.  I know its me not sharpening right (I think).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:46:23 am by macgyver »

rfreschner

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 06:19:18 am »

I watched the LL video (thanks for the freebe guys!) and it was somewhat helpful, but I still can't seem to make the connection.  I know its me not sharpening right (I think).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The situation you're describing is discussed in great detail over at the LR User to User forum in [a href=\"http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc44a00/117]this thread.[/url]

Rick

rfreschner

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 08:09:50 am »

And, another post on this in the ACR forum.

Rick

macgyver

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 01:19:08 pm »

rfreschenr, thank you so much, those are very helpful.  Its good to see I'm not the only one who sees this.  This effect, which im still trying to learn to counteract does not seem to be reversable.  I think I'm about to reinstall 1.0, does anyone know if I can reimport photos from 1.1 to a fresh install of 1.0?

DarkPenguin

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 01:52:32 pm »

It reminds me a lot of RSP.

I'm still trying to figure this out.

DarkPenguin

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 02:27:30 pm »

Isn't this where parametric editing falls down?  It only works so long as the converter underneath does not change?  Or does LR have a solution to that?

(Only started really paying attention to it with this version.)

jani

• Øyet
1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 02:44:46 pm »

This post by Frank Schroeder at the Adobe LR forum shows exactly what I'm seeing with base ISO images from D70s, D200 and D2x:
Post #140

It may be argued that this is irrelevant pixel-peeping, but my architectural images are printed large and displayed for close viewing, and this level of detail is visible in such prints.
That level of fudged processing is visible in many different sizes of print.

The main problem there is that Mr. Schroeder set the Detail slider to 100.

Just for fun, I rummaged through my libary and found a shot of some underbrush, and duplicated his settings (Amount: 64, Radius: 0.5, Detail: 100). Here's a before and after view, shown at 200% (420 kB).

[attachment=2738:attachment]

Here's a before and after view with Detail set to 0 instead:

[attachment=2739:attachment]
Jan

jani

• Øyet
1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 02:48:25 pm »

Isn't this where parametric editing falls down?  It only works so long as the converter underneath does not change?  Or does LR have a solution to that?
This is where naive and simplistic parametric editing falls down.

It doesn't have to fall down, but avoiding the problem requires additional complexity that only grows as the underlying functions evolve (old functions must be kept, and versioned).

If you don't trust Lightroom to handle this, the wise choice seems to be to export edited images to TIFF in 16 bpc as soon as an image is done in Lightroom.
Jan

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 04:25:12 pm »

Isn't this where parametric editing falls down?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126253\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think what is "falling down" is the amount of time people are looking at images at 1:1, 2:1 or higher...I honestly think that most of the people that have been posting about this issue really and truly don't understand the implications of what they think they are seeing...

Fact; CR 4.1 and LR 1.1 are "different" than previous version of CR/LR...

Fact; Camera Raw 4.1 & Lightroom 1.1 have both improved noise reduction and sharpening...

Fact; very few people know how to use the new tools...

Fact; there's been a lot of "tests" and befores/afters from a wide variety of people, cameras, ISOs-so many in fact that pretty much everybody is now further confused...

Opinion; people need to learn what a computer display can and can't show you. Looking at 50% or 25% zooms will tell you more regarding what detail is visible and relevant in a print. Making an actual print will tell you a lot more about what can be seen in a print.

Opinion; testing anything at "defaults" is useless, turning stuff off or all the way up/down are useless. Optimal testing would be to optimize an image in CR 4.1/LR 1.1 and compare the same final prepared image done in CR 4.0/LR 1.0.

Is CR 4.1/LR 1.1 capable of producing better, smoother and more detailed raw conversions? In my testing, yes...and I was actually paid by Adobe to test this stuff. but I only had access to about 10 cameras whose ISOs varied.

Will there be camera model to camera model variations between what the demosiacing, luminance smoothing and sharpening do to various ISO images? You bet.

That's why it would be useful to cut down on the chatter and the chaos and try to concentrate on 1) are there any real, repeatable cases where it can be proven that CR 4.1/LR 1.1 does a worse job and 2) exactly what cameras at what ISOs.

So far I've seen a lot of informal "tests" with little or no documentation, history records to be able to replicate the results nor raw examples posted to duplicate the results. Until that happens, it's all anecdotal information not evidence...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:25:46 pm by Schewe »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 04:41:04 pm »

Thanks for that Jeff!  But I think a fair question is raised:

From your explanation, you seem to imply that edits are *not* saved overtly as "slider x position set to value y" which would make sense making future upgrades (and plugins) possible.

That *still* begs the question - how would previous adjustments be represented with upgraded controls?  It seems "not even going there" would  be a definite possibilty - somehow I think not . . .

Curious - John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:42:34 pm by Joh.Murray »

DarkPenguin

1.1 Noise Reduction
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 04:42:41 pm »

I'm not referring to whether it is better or worse.  (I haven't figured that out for myself yet.)  The question was in regards to the same parameters producing something different than it did when those parameters were set.  (I've no idea if this happens or not.  As I said, I really only started looking at this with 1.1.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up