Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unsharpen background for portrait  (Read 3593 times)

The View

Unsharpen background for portrait
« on: June 28, 2007, 06:00:39 pm »

I am thinking about getting a portrait prime lens for my Pentax DSLR, but there is none available in my preferred focal length of 55mm.

The Pentax kit lens only goes down to f 5,6 at 55mm, and this leaves the background too sharp in many circumstances.

Can you create that effect with software, or would it look bad?

I haven't got Photoshop yet, only Lightroom. Any alternatives to Photoshop to get this effect?

Thanks.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:59:24 pm »

I am thinking about getting a portrait prime lens for my Pentax DSLR, but there is none available in my preferred focal length of 55mm.

The Pentax kit lens only goes down to f 5,6 at 55mm, and this leaves the background too sharp in many circumstances.

Yes, you can, sort of.

It requires practice, but as far as I know, it's very hard to simulate the bokeh of a good lens.

I haven't got Photoshop yet, only Lightroom. Any alternatives to Photoshop to get this effect?
Photoshop has a set of filters dealing with "blur". Photoshop Elements has at least a subset of these filters.

Microsoft Digital Image Suite may have something doing something similar, but Microsoft has withdrawn the product from the marketplace because Vista "has it all", sort of.

Corel Paint Shop Pro appears to have similar features, although the information on their web pages doesn't contain any specifics. They have a trial version for download, though. Also check out Snapfire.

Ulead PhotoImpact 12 has a tool called "Focus", which may be relevant. See Corel's web site.

Pixel may have this feature, too, sinc e it's so common. There's a trial version on the website.

Cinepaint, a colour managed version of the GIMP. Free software.
Jan

The View

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:29:39 am »

Thanks, jani, for your reply.

Yes, you can, sort of.

It requires practice, but as far as I know, it's very hard to simulate the bokeh of a good lens.

I will certainly consider this fact, and try to find a lens solution first.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 01:31:30 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 05:52:24 pm »

Well... there are a couple of Photoshop plugins, those can also be used by other hosts than Photoshop. And Photoshop CS3 now also got the "Lens Blur" filter which essentially does that.

The drawback: You need to do some sort of "depth map". The farther away subjects are to your focus, the blurrier they should get. That can be tricky for some subjects.

The easier solution is getting a fast lens:

The Sigma 30/1.4 is not that expensive...

Alternatively, did you try a lens with long reach?

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 10:12:24 pm »

Quote from: The View,Jun 28 2007, 02:00 PM

Why aren't you considering Pentax's 50mm 1.4 or 1.7?
Ultra sharp.  Ultra fast.   Inexpensive.    And the difference in "the look" between 50mm and your preferred length of 55 would be unnoticeable.

Brad

wood

• http://www.postaldigital.com.br
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:46:13 am »

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Look what PS can do for you in one minute, with blur. [a href=\"http://www.postaldigital.com.br/images/new_photographer_1.jpg]HERE.[/url]

Wood
[span style='color:gray'][span style='fo

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:00:41 am »

Look what PS can do for you in one minute, with blur. HERE.
Okay, the bokeh in the original wasn't exactly wonderful, but the result of your blur manipulation shows why this is a time consuming process that requires some skill, and just isn't something that can be done in one minute.

The transitions are awful, sorry.
Jan

rck

• http://www.kiesler.at/
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 11:11:27 am »

Okay, the bokeh in the original wasn't exactly wonderful[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Could you explain? Was my first day of having that lens and I'm happy with all the advice I can get.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:12:15 am by rck »
Pages: [1]   Go Up