Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple LCD profiling on a Mac  (Read 2619 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Apple LCD profiling on a Mac
« on: June 27, 2007, 05:58:58 pm »

Recently I reprofiled my 30" cinema screen.  The new EyeOne software has a way to measure the screen brightness, and so I followed the directions.  However, it also recommended a 2.2. gamma which was new, seems like before it recommended 1.8 for Macs.  Thought I'd try it though.

I'm feeling my screen has too much contrast and saturation.  I'll probably revert to my earlier preference of about 1.9 gamma, but was just curious what others have found with this.

francois

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:14:53 am »

Recently I reprofiled my 30" cinema screen.  The new EyeOne software has a way to measure the screen brightness, and so I followed the directions.  However, it also recommended a 2.2. gamma which was new, seems like before it recommended 1.8 for Macs.  Thought I'd try it though.

I'm feeling my screen has too much contrast and saturation.  I'll probably revert to my earlier preference of about 1.9 gamma, but was just curious what others have found with this.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've been using a gamma of 2.2 or native gamma on my Cinema Displays. Gamma 1.8 was there for historical reasons to match prints done on the original LaserWriter.
Now, if a 1.9 gamma works for you and your prints match what you see on your monitor then I see no reason to change.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:15:19 am by francois »
Francois

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 10:47:12 pm »

I'm beginning to encounter similar issues calibrating my first good quality LCD, the Dell 2007wfp. Compared to my 2004 20" G5 iMac the backlight brightness adjust characteristics behave quite differently on the Dell in regards to how tonal distribution characteristics are rendered and perceived viewing a grayramp after settling on a gamma setting. It seems not all grayramps render the same exact way given the same gamma target between two different displays.

It seems you can vary greatly the toe and shoulder tone distribution of the grayramp and still get the same gamma target outcome as measured by the hardware calibrator. I'm also seeing this type of varied linearity characteristic in prints that seem to look dark even though you can still distinguish all steps in a 21 step grayramp as demonstrated in the posted image.[attachment=2715:attachment]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:23:10 am »

Recently I reprofiled my 30" cinema screen.  The new EyeOne software has a way to measure the screen brightness, and so I followed the directions.  However, it also recommended a 2.2. gamma which was new, seems like before it recommended 1.8 for Macs.  Thought I'd try it though.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125265\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try Native Gamma, less banding due to the adjustments to the LUT. Native White Point too. Let the ICC profile do the heavy lifting in ICC aware applications.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up