Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shooting in a swimming pool  (Read 1533 times)

roskav

• http://www.roskavanagh.com
shooting in a swimming pool
« on: June 27, 2007, 10:46:17 am »

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has experiences of shooting with an EWA-Marine bag ..
I was asked to shoot actors in a pool for an upcoming production and .. not being able to hire a waterproof housing in Dublin, opted to buy a watreproof bag from the uk. It was all orgainised very quick and the budget was low but the bag didn't let a drop of water in.. so on that side worked very well.
On the other hand .. I was not completely happy with my results ... I think the Nikon (d2x) had trouble foccusing underwater.. the water can get quite bubbly with all the movement.  Also I  couldn't stay under for more than a few seconds each time (actors likewise) so the shots were very hit and miss.  I'm not complaining .. it was a good learning experience ...next time I would use an aqualung and weights!  One other thing .. the way the bag was set up meant that I could not set my 17-55 at a wide angle due to the pressure of the bag on the lens... I think you need some sort of spacer.

Next time I do this I'm going to bring a large flash and set it up with a remote on the poolside (V dangerous?) .. there just wasn't enough light .. I was shooting at 2.8 at iso 800 so I have lots of legendary Nikon noise... not normally a problem in light tones .. but when the detail is soft and the colour tranisitions gentle .. it becomes a bit of a pain.

... just realised .. I should have used a polariser .. shouldn't I?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:49:07 am by Roskav »
Pages: [1]   Go Up