Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I love the Palouse  (Read 12155 times)

method

• http://www.method-photo.co.uk
I love the Palouse
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:01:57 am »

Love this. Lovely colours!

larsrc

• http://
I love the Palouse
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:55 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My first thought was "I hate you. I want landscapes like this".  My second thought was "It looks like something out of Teletubbies".  Freaky, but very well executed.

-Lars

Jack Varney

• http://
I love the Palouse
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:14:28 pm »

Terrific photograph and truly reminiscent of Tuscany.
Jack Varney

Peter McLennan

I love the Palouse
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 11:15:37 pm »

Terrific photograph and truly reminiscent of Tuscany.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125297\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well said.  The Palouse is America's Tuscany.  I'd almost bet the Windows XP default wallpaper was shot there.

twereliu

I love the Palouse
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:34:10 pm »

I find the Palouse one of the most interesting places to shoot in the states during the two visual seasons (late spring/early summer, and harvest - august)

Since my first visit I have been going back every year except this one for 4 years now and have barely touched the surface.

Steptoe Butte and a few other areas are always must gets, but there is always something new to find since there are hundreds of miles of x-crossing gravel roads that reamin unexplored, rotating crops, and slight variations in weather patterns with dramatic clouds and skies etc. This makes the palouse both unique and familiar every year.

Harvest later in the year is also something to see, not for colors of course (opportunity is golden wheat) but also visually exciting and because the dust from the wheat chaff can fill the area and create some really phenomanal sunsets its also a lot of fun.

David Hufford

I love the Palouse
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 08:52:32 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125119\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I went to university there and never really liked the area---was never too impressed by farms, but prefer mountains and forests or plains (not wheat covered) and other wild areas. However, looking at these makes me wish I had perhaps paid a bit more attention back then.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Graham Welland

I love the Palouse
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 05:01:59 pm »

I went to university there and never really liked the area---was never too impressed by farms, but prefer mountains and forests or plains (not wheat covered) and other wild areas. However, looking at these makes me wish I had perhaps paid a bit more attention back then.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125714\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The irony for you is that if you were based in Pullman or Moscow (I assume), you're surrounded by mountains, forests and plains all within about an hour or so travel!  

I'm making my annual photo pilgramage this week out to Walla Walla, Enterprise, Lewiston, Colfax/Pullman and up to Cour d'Alene. If you take the side/back roads you'll find lots of old abandoned farms, grain elevators and obviously the stunning rolling hills. Be careful on the dusty back roads if it rains after a dry spell as these become as slick as glass when wet.  

If you're in the Colfax area then a trip to Steptoe Butte is a must-do. It's a little cliche'd in terms of being the ideal spot to take aerial views of the rolling hills, field patterns and grain elevators poking up between the hills, but when the light is right the views are stunning. It's one of those places where I can justify shooting landscapes with my Nikon 200-400 VR !

Travelling further south to the Snake River region south of Lewiston down to Enterprise is worth a trip and if you're driving a 4x4 there are some stunning canyonlands with minimal human habitat around the area too.
Graham

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
I love the Palouse
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 08:41:54 pm »

Tree Line- Awesome image

Was there when the wheat was mature.  Different look than other times of the year.

apple444

I love the Palouse
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 07:49:51 pm »

If I may be allowed to use "sublime" as the word for Palouse photo as I can imagine viewing a 40"x30" print and being stunned to silence.

The Tree Line photo I felt needed a crop from the top, say about 40% from the top, making it a panorama. The tree line doesn't need to compete with the vastness of the sky. Still, a great photo.

Yakiman

I love the Palouse
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 02:05:02 am »

John Shaw has an entire gallery on the Palouse. Maybe you missed it.
http://www.johnshawphoto.com/palouse_gal/index_pal.html

Yakiman

I love the Palouse
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 12:28:32 pm »

Another spectacular Palouse gallery:
http://www.johnclementgallery.com/Welcome.html

apple444

I love the Palouse
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 04:31:39 pm »

Less is More. Or, Less Is Less. Anyway, in "Vee Grass" , so little is said, but, so much is given.

picnic

I love the Palouse
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 06:28:43 pm »

John Shaw has an entire gallery on the Palouse. Maybe you missed it.
http://www.johnshawphoto.com/palouse_gal/index_pal.html
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks so much.  I've not see that before and have bookmarked it to go back and look again and again.  We don't see anything like that in the southeast--too 'cluttered' for one thing, but esp. the first images were so graphic and painterly that I want to see them--and I would like to see the area now.  It drew me in from his photographs.

Diane

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
I love the Palouse
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:57:07 pm »

Allow me to add my voice to the chorus of approval for the Palouse images. I'm very partial to this type of image and geography, so these pictures spoke to me more than any of Michael's other recent work. (Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I have a certain...bias...when it comes to this type of imagery.)

apple444

I love the Palouse
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 04:13:54 pm »

"Big Sky"
Expectant Earth accepts a gentle caress by the deep blue sky.

"Grain Path"
The "Gift" pouring fourth, the Earth's promise.

"Earth Curves"
The Earth,  the Nurturer.

apple444

I love the Palouse
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2007, 06:12:46 pm »

Farm – Palouse, Washington. June, 2007

There appears to be a photographic language in which a well accepted convention is used to indicate space, e.g. foreground, middle-ground, and back-ground. The back-ground being the farthest point, or the top third of the picture, is often brushed with a blueish-haze to indicate the great distance from the viewer. This technique, though most effective in black and white, becomes not so satisfactory in color particularly when the fore-ground and the mid-ground are in brilliant color.
Why? The distance is the distance, and is always treated this way(?) But, why than do you build up such an expectation through the fore-ground and the mid-ground with such a masterful and Gauguin-esque symphony of color and form, only to end in a Renaissance convention?
To be fair, all photographers, I mean first rate professional photographers, do this. One that comes to mind now, though not by Michael, is a view from atop a hill, in Asia, looking down a terraced rice paddies filled with water, early in season, with vivid greens and yellows and browns with a cluster of thatches below, all descending to a valley below of more sky reflecting rice paddies and ending in a line of trees to the mid-ground, and, yes, blue-haze and indistinct beyond, as if the top third of the picture did not matter. Don't tell me that's the way it was, not with Photoshop under your belt!

gunnar1

I love the Palouse
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 08:59:32 am »

How did Michael manage to get the clouds in the tree line photograph to follow the curve of the tree line itself? I think he has some pull with someone...

Seriously, some people seem to have a sixth sense, whether trained or intuitive, for capturing an image at just the right time. Sometimes it is sheer patience to wait until the stars align, but I find it is often just that intuition. I seem to see it whether it is landscapes, wildlife or human subjects. Whatever it is, some have it, and some want it.

Richowens

I love the Palouse
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 02:12:23 am »

And sometimes it is just dumb luck.  

[attachment=3048:attachment]
Pages: [1]   Go Up