Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR export settings  (Read 3745 times)

katesd

• http://www.katesnaturephotography.com
LR export settings
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:07:48 pm »

Does anyone know how to set the LR export preferences to export a photo at 300ppi to CS3?  It appears the default export value is 240.  thanks.

francois

LR export settings
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:14:04 pm »

Does anyone know how to set the LR export preferences to export a photo at 300ppi to CS3?  It appears the default export value is 240.  thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Edit: I spoke too fast! When you say "export" you mean that you use "Edit in Photoshop CS 3"?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:16:03 pm by francois »
Francois

katesd

• http://www.katesnaturephotography.com
LR export settings
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:25:49 pm »

Edit: I spoke too fast! When you say "export" you mean that you use "Edit in Photoshop CS 3"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, I want to export a photo to CS3 at 300ppi.

francois

LR export settings
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 05:54:57 am »

It seems that the default is indeed set at 240dpi and I haven't found a way to set it to a different value. LR version 1.1 has an a new option for exporting file (using "Edit in Photoshop CS3" command) but you can't set the dpi there.

Your best bet is to run an action in Photoshop that sets dpi to 300. Another less elegant way would be to export your photo using LR's export command. You can have a preset with the desired 300dpi but you'll have to re-import the file in LR once you've finished your work in Photoshop.
Francois

DavidW

LR export settings
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:09:17 pm »

yes, I want to export a photo to CS3 at 300ppi.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The resolution is just a number; it doesn't affect the quality of the image in any way. It's simply the scaling factor for pixels to inches when a physical size has any meaning. I tend only to bother with it if I'm going to place the image in InDesign or export it as PDF.

I don't like the way that Lightroom exports to Photoshop - it's improved in 1.1, but it still lacks finesse (I place Photoshop files in a different folder to RAW, which Lightroom 1.1 can't handle). My way around this sort of issue is to use "Automatically write changes into XMP" (which is in the Catalog Settings in Lightroom 1.1), then open the RAW file using either Bridge or Photoshop directly. That way your selected resolution in Camera Raw should be used, and you have the option of opening the file as Camera Raw Smart Object.

David

jani

• Øyet
LR export settings
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 06:54:21 am »

The resolution is just a number; it doesn't affect the quality of the image in any way. It's simply the scaling factor for pixels to inches when a physical size has any meaning. I tend only to bother with it if I'm going to place the image in InDesign or export it as PDF.
I don't like the way that Lightroom exports to Photoshop - it's improved in 1.1, but it still lacks finesse (I place Photoshop files in a different folder to RAW, which Lightroom 1.1 can't handle). My way around this sort of issue is to use "Automatically write changes into XMP" (which is in the Catalog Settings in Lightroom 1.1), then open the RAW file using either Bridge or Photoshop directly. That way your selected resolution in Camera Raw should be used, and you have the option of opening the file as Camera Raw Smart Object.
It is unclear whether this will work well for users of Photoshop CS2 or earlier versions:

Photoshop Camera Raw 4.1
Adobe applications must be updated with the Camera Raw 4.1plug-in in order to ensure compatibility with Lightroom 1.1 develop module settings.  Photoshop CS3 users can update the Camera Raw plug-in automatically using the Update tool listed under the Help menu.  The Camera Raw 4.1 plug-in can also be downloaded and installed manually by visiting the Adobe web site: www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html.  Please follow the installation instruction carefully.
Jan

DavidW

LR export settings
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 07:57:56 am »

You will need Photoshop CS3 to get things to work as I described - my apologies for not mentioning it explicitly. Not only is the full Lightroom 1.1 Camera Raw feature set only supported in Camera Raw 4.1, but there's no such thing as Camera Raw Smart Objects in older versions of Photoshop.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up