Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ink popping off!  (Read 2784 times)

davisf8

Ink popping off!
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:08 am »

First of all, I have been following this forum for quite some time and I'm really surprised about all the complaints on the Z3100.

I am a professional portrait photographer and studio owner for more than 30 years and have been printing inkjets for over 10 years.

My first HP (Z3100-44") was purchased several weeks ago. I am completely wowed by the quality of the prints I've been getting. I have been printing mostly B&W to HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art and color to the HP Professional Matte Canvas and getting without question the best prints I've ever gotton with any other printer.

Now, my issue! I just printed a 30x40 on the above mentioned canvas, let it dry for 3 days and right before I coated it Eco Print Shied, I brushed the print off with a soft bristle brush and I had several places where the ink just popped off in very small specks. I was able to touch up with spotting dyes.

Has anyone had this problem? I wonder if there may have been some dust on the canvas where the ink did not come in contact with the canvas and just popped off when brushed. I suppose one could un-roll the canvas a bit and brush or blow it off before loading in the printer if this is what's happening. If it's the receiver coating popping off then we have a greater problem!

By the way, as I mentioned I used spotting dyes to dust spot the canvas (dyes being the key word). Is this dye going to faid over time? Does anyone know of pigment based product that could be used for spotting?

Thanking you all in advance!
Alan Davis

Harry Carpenter

Ink popping off!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:35:31 am »

I dont know what the cause is but I have had the same effect on cheper synthetic canvas where it is almost as though there are loose specs on the surface that take the dye and then fall off leaving white dots behind.

Ernst Dinkla

Ink popping off!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:05:34 pm »

First of all, I have been following this forum for quite some time and I'm really surprised about all the complaints on the Z3100.

I am a professional portrait photographer and studio owner for more than 30 years and have been printing inkjets for over 10 years.

My first HP (Z3100-44") was purchased several weeks ago. I am completely wowed by the quality of the prints I've been getting. I have been printing mostly B&W to HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art and color to the HP Professional Matte Canvas and getting without question the best prints I've ever gotton with any other printer.

Now, my issue! I just printed a 30x40 on the above mentioned canvas, let it dry for 3 days and right before I coated it Eco Print Shied, I brushed the print off with a soft bristle brush and I had several places where the ink just popped off in very small specks. I was able to touch up with spotting dyes.

Has anyone had this problem? I wonder if there may have been some dust on the canvas where the ink did not come in contact with the canvas and just popped off when brushed. I suppose one could un-roll the canvas a bit and brush or blow it off before loading in the printer if this is what's happening. If it's the receiver coating popping off then we have a greater problem!

By the way, as I mentioned I used spotting dyes to dust spot the canvas (dyes being the key word). Is this dye going to faid over time? Does anyone know of pigment based product that could be used for spotting?

Alan Davis
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There have been similar issues with Hahnemuhle matt paper coatings. The applied coatings (often 3 layers) do not always get enough bond on every spot. So it is more a small piece of coating + ink that gets off than just ink. Some users brush the surface lightly to take off any loose particles before printing. I usually coat canvas quite fast after printing but with a water based acrylic varnish that is more compatible with the ink medium itself. I also put it on the frame not too long after that as the coating + varnish gets harder in time. But there's a silkscreen printing drying tunnel here :-)

Use the same inkjet ink to spot the white specs. With a syringe you can pull out the last MLs of empty carts. I fill drawing pens with the inks. Mars Staedtler refillable ones but there must be millions of no longer used drawing pens available everywhere. Best ink for a drawing pen anyway.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
Ink popping off!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:06:40 pm »

This is usually caused by dirt or dust on the canvas that gets inked during printing and falls off afterwards. It seems to occur at the beginning or ends of rolls more frequently than in the middle.

It's possible to see the dust by holding a flashlight at a low angle across the canvas. The dust will usually be quite visible. We've had success cleaning it with a roller designed to clean prints before mounting or laminating. DryTac sells these.

If you need to do this, work on a very clean table and unroll the material face down first, clean the back, flip it, clean the front and reroll it.

As far as spotting goes, we've had some luck using acrylic paints and a very small spotting brush.

If this is done before the canvas is varnished, the spots dissapear.

Haven't found a permanent solution for water color papers (which often have the same dust problem. ). If it's a black area, a sharpie works.

Regards,

Marc Sitkin
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

ed j

Ink popping off!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:31:40 am »

Alan Davis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124954\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

when it happens to me. on my epson 9600. its usally dust on the material. the ink prints on the dust and  then falls off, for what i do it dosent matter. get a some sort of static cling cloth and whipe down material before u print on it.

when material is not being used keep it baged and  in the box if u can.

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up