Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: eMotion 22/75 and Apple's Aperture  (Read 3737 times)

brumbaer

eMotion 22/75 and Apple's Aperture
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:43:23 pm »

Using OS X 10.4.10 and Aperture 1.53, I found a way to make the DNGs created by eMotionDng editable in Aperture.

If any body is willing to try:

You will need an Installer called Aperture2275 and the DNGs have to be created with the newest version of eMotionDng (1.41).

Both can be found at http://www.brumbaer.de/Tools/Tools.html

I have tested with OS X 10.4.10 and Aperture 1.53 only. So please update your OS and Aperture before you use Aperture2275.

Aperture2275 adds emotionDng support not only to Aperture but also to Preview and other applications that use the ImageIO Framework.

If you choose to test the Aperture/eMotion support please mail me your findings.

Regards
SH

David WM

• http://
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47:58 am »

More improvements to your software, great to see!

I presently do not use either Lightroom or Aperture. Do you see using Aperture in conjunctoion with eMotion dng as a good workflow as opposed to using other products?

regards
David

Using OS X 10.4.10 and Aperture 1.53, I found a way to make the DNGs created by eMotionDng editable in Aperture.

You will need an Installer called Aperture2275 and the DNGs have to be created with the newest version of eMotionDng (1.41).

I have tested with OS X 10.4.10 and Aperture 1.53 only. So please update your OS and Aperture before you use Aperture2275.

Aperture2275 adds emotionDng support not only to Aperture but also to Preview and other applications that use the ImageIO Framework.

If you choose to test the Aperture/eMotion support please mail me your findings.
Regards
SH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

brumbaer

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 01:39:13 pm »

Hi David,
I bought Aperture version 1 (yes I'm the one) and liked it.

It had it's shortfalls, but I liked it nonetheless and 1.5 is much better than 1.0 (no surprise here).

When I started using the eMotion, I was rather disapointed that I couldn't use Aperture with the eMotion files.

In the meantime I bought Lightroom, because it does what Aperture does but supports generic DNGs. I like it ok. But  always there has been that nudging feeling that probably Aperture would be so much nicer to use than LR.

So I always looked for a way to bring eMotion files into Aperture.

Now that this is possible I will play a bit with Aperture and eMotion files and see how I like the quality. For my personal workflow demands both Aperture and LR are well suited but emotionally I lean to Aperture .

Whether Aperture will fullfill your quality and workflow demands, or whether LR would be a better choice or maybe PS and Bridge or RawDeveloper or whatever, I can't say.
I find changing your workflow is a major task and should be well thought out.
I'm sorry that I can't be of more help, you will have to try it out or ask somebody with a more misionary attitude.

Regards
SH

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:51:29 am »

Regards
SH
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124848\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought Aperture supported Leaf files natively? Or is it just some Leaf backs.

Kevin.

brumbaer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 03:30:32 am »

I thought Aperture supported Leaf files natively? Or is it just some Leaf backs.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125092\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

eMotion Backs are from Sinar not Leaf.

Aperture supports some (most?, all?) Leaf backs.

Regards
SH

nicolaasdb

• http://
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:03:36 am »

I have both Aperture and Lightroom..I bought Aperture before it was launched and what a mistake that was....the software was slow and the "tools" were not very subtle. Luckily I got a 200 discount, because I guess Apple got a lot of complaints and lowered their price. I recently upgraded the 1.0 to the 1.5 and still it kind of sucks....the way you correct the colors with those dumb wheels...I like some of the features, but don't like the tiny symbols...do I really want to remember that thingy in the top left next to that symbol of that other thingy?? I liked the lightbox..where I can free arrange the images like I would do on a real life lightbox back in the days...but that is about it...and I would have liked this software to be as intuitive and perfect as all my other MAC software, because I love all of my apple products...except aperture...maybe version 3.9 or so will change my mind in 5 years or so.

About lightroom...I used the beta version...and it is GREAT...I mean the color control is amazing...so the the crop method and the ease of making a gallery of picks to email to my clients....printing from lightroom is a dream (after you figure out how to!) Colors are great, I shoot with canon and leaf/mamiya and both files look great.
Downside.....the way it imports and organises your images within lightroom.....let me be clear you don't really import them...so the files stay where you put them....but the system of "importing" them into lightroom is a little difficult and you need to get used to it....I haven't tried the 1.1 version yet...but the 1.0 version imported my files and put them in a sub folder....if I downloaded them from a CF card and this was very confusing (maybe I did something wrong, but haven't figured out how to do it the right way yet)

So for anyone who cares these are my 2 cents about the 2 programs.

rainer_v

• http://www.tangential.de
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 04:42:48 am »

same opinion here, although i am tempted to give aperture now another try,- v.1 i did not liked.

lightroom is better for me, esp. printing and color engine......
what i dont get is that images cannot be in two locations at the same time, how to organize an archive if this is not possible..... and : the limitation to 10.000  pixel size. i have many panoramas which i cant manage in lightroom. thats really bad. and so am often back in bridge3 after cs3 has more or less the same raw converter now,- and use lightroom for printing.
rainer viertlböck
architecture photograp
Pages: [1]   Go Up