Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broad roller marks from HP Z3100  (Read 2415 times)

Jeff Conley

• http://www.jeffreyconley.com
Broad roller marks from HP Z3100
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:01:03 pm »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I sure would appreciate help on this issue.  I am in the market for a 44 inch wide printer and had been strongly leaning towards the HP Z3100 for a combination of color and BW printing, although most likely 75% BW use. I was able to test drive a Z3100 here in Corvallis, Oregon at HP's campus. I was very impressed with the results until I noticed distinct roller marks on my prints made on the Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art paper (the print made on HP's glossy paper have no marks). I noticed these marks a few weeks after making them. I had them up on an easle in my office to live with them for a while, and one day when the light was right I saw these marks. They are subtle, but of course, once you see them... They are approximately .5" wide and are .5" apart clear across the entire sheet of paper, although they are primarily visible in areas of increased ink density.  I don't know for sure that these marks are from the rollers... But the rollers are the strongest suspects. Another possibility could be that the marks were on the paper as a result of a production glitch, unlikely, but possible. The marks  appear as long, evenly spaced smudged areas. Their has been no abrasion to the surface of the paper. They don't appear to be related to the starwheel marks reported in other posts.

Here is a photo of the marks:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/j23...B0360_small.jpg

I notified HP of the issue, but have not heard back. I have also called HP's tech support, but since I don't actually own a Z3100 yet, they can't send a tech out to investigate. Since the printer is still relatively new, tech support has no record of this complaint on file. My hands are tied in a sense because I can't test another batch of paper on another printer because I don't presently have access to another printer. So I am turning to this forum and the wisdom and experience of this community. Has anyone else had a problem such these wide, even, straight marks.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Jeffrey Conley
www.jeffreyconley.com

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:40:15 pm »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in this forum. I sure would appreciate help on this issue.  I am in the market for a 44 inch wide printer and had been strongly leaning towards the HP Z3100 for a combination of color and BW printing, although most likely 75% BW use. I was able to test drive a Z3100 here in Corvallis, Oregon at HP's campus. I was very impressed with the results until I noticed distinct roller marks on my prints made on the Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art paper (the print made on HP's glossy paper have no marks). I noticed these marks a few weeks after making them. I had them up on an easle in my office to live with them for a while, and one day when the light was right I saw these marks. They are subtle, but of course, once you see them... They are approximately .5" wide and are .5" apart clear across the entire sheet of paper, although they are primarily visible in areas of increased ink density.  I don't know for sure that these marks are from the rollers... But the rollers are the strongest suspects. Another possibility could be that the marks were on the paper as a result of a production glitch, unlikely, but possible. The marks  appear as long, evenly spaced smudged areas. Their has been no abrasion to the surface of the paper. They don't appear to be related to the starwheel marks reported in other posts.

Here is a photo of the marks:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/j23...B0360_small.jpg

I notified HP of the issue, but have not heard back. I have also called HP's tech support, but since I don't actually own a Z3100 yet, they can't send a tech out to investigate. Since the printer is still relatively new, tech support has no record of this complaint on file. My hands are tied in a sense because I can't test another batch of paper on another printer because I don't presently have access to another printer. So I am turning to this forum and the wisdom and experience of this community. Has anyone else had a problem such these wide, even, straight marks.

Thank you for any suggestions.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This has been discussed several times.  There are a couple of things to consider.  First, what drying time did you specify in the print driver?  Its possible that increasing the drying time would elminate the marks you saw.  The other culprit could be the rollers.  They may be just too hard.  I think some folks have tried home remedies such as putting tape over the rollers.  A number of us have never experienced this problem on HSFA or other thick matte papers.
Regards,
Ron

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:21:04 pm »

This has been discussed several times.  There are a couple of things to consider.  First, what drying time did you specify in the print driver?  Its possible that increasing the drying time would elminate the marks you saw.  The other culprit could be the rollers.  They may be just too hard.  I think some folks have tried home remedies such as putting tape over the rollers.  A number of us have never experienced this problem on HSFA or other thick matte papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124820\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Never seen that on Matt papers. The only Papers I have seen these problems so far are Glossy Innova Papers.. What was the solution ? I stopped using Innova papers...

I never heared back from HP OR Innova what reall the problem is.... after waitung for a month I switched.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:49:24 am »

Yes I have this problem on Innova fibre gloss. The roller's surface is 14mm and spaced 14mm apart. Since HP have only two heights for the carriage, the settings for Fine Art PEarl more ink is already at hi, there isn't anything for the user to do about this. I did ask HP engineering. This is the way it is. I still think something could be done about the rollers themselves though as it is more the pressure or roller material at fault , not the height. The height affects Zebra marks caused by cockle, but doesn't change the roller marks.

I've only seen the roller marks on matte if the paper is fed through 4 or 5 times. Make sure you have a setting that uses the hi setting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up