Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about croping  (Read 2557 times)

jlg759

question about croping
« on: June 24, 2007, 10:57:57 pm »

My question is about croping photos. When croping using photoshop cs2 or any other program how do you know how much croping you can do and still make 8x10 or 4x6. Let me explain ( examples sizes only) If I have a digital file that is 3456 x 2592 and I crop from it what size should I try to crop to for display on screen and also for printing or does this not matter

jbrembat

question about croping
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 06:47:31 am »

My question is about croping photos. When croping using photoshop cs2 or any other program how do you know how much croping you can do and still make 8x10 or 4x6. Let me explain ( examples sizes only) If I have a digital file that is 3456 x 2592 and I crop from it what size should I try to crop to for display on screen and also for printing or does this not matter
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Display on screen is generally managed by image viewers, so the original size may be maintained.

For web publishing:
 1. Transform  image color space into sRGB, if different
 2. Resample  the image to an 800x600 format, or so. Cropping is not required
 3. Save the image in jpg format good quality

For printing, cropping and resampling may be required depending on paper format. If you do not printer drivers do it.

If you use a your own printer, PPI and  printable area are informations to pick up from driver.
Go to [a href=\"http://www.photoresampling.com/index_eng.php]http://www.photoresampling.com/index_eng.php[/url] and download the free PrinterData application.

As you set the preferences at driver level (format, quality, borderless), PrinterData is able to expose PPI, printable area and margins.

If you use a lab, ask for the correct dimensions (4x6, 8x10…. are approximated values) and for the required PPI.

On the same site you find an artiche on PPI/DPI and you can download a demo version of PhotoResampling. A PhotoResampling tool can prepare images for printing (cropping and resampling).

Jacopo

wmchauncey

question about croping
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:42:35 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
To begin with, run a search on this site on "croping". you'll find a ton of stuff.  I assume your concerned about actual print size with a 300 dpi.

What I've learned:  file size is only a guide, if you crop that image much, a 8x10 print won't happen.  Those who crop try to keep it to within 5%.
quality of your lens is a factor, but not often mntioned.
basically what you want to do is crop your image and study it at 50%in CS2.  I've been told that a 50% image "look" equals an 8X10 "look".
The things you do for yourself die with

mwookie

question about croping
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:15:43 am »

To begin with, run a search on this site on "croping". you'll find a ton of stuff.  I assume your concerned about actual print size with a 300 dpi.

What I've learned:  file size is only a guide, if you crop that image much, a 8x10 print won't happen.  Those who crop try to keep it to within 5%.
quality of your lens is a factor, but not often mntioned.
basically what you want to do is crop your image and study it at 50%in CS2.  I've been told that a 50% image "look" equals an 8X10 "look".
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have noticed that the size and type of monitor my change this "look" I used to be working on a 19" LCD Lacie. I recently changed to an 22" LCD. After first I freeked out, because things looked softer even after the monitor was well calibrated (ColorEyes + DTP ). I realized after doing test prints that I was o.k, I am just looking at things more life sized now. I used to always look at 100%, but I think I like to preview at about 60-70% now.

wmchauncey

question about croping
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 11:25:23 am »

I have noticed that the size and type of monitor my change this "look" I used to be working on a 19" LCD Lacie. I recently changed to an 22" LCD. After first I freeked out, because things looked softer even after the monitor was well calibrated (ColorEyes + DTP ). I realized after doing test prints that I was o.k, I am just looking at things more life sized now. I used to always look at 100%, but I think I like to preview at about 60-70% now.
You are correct in your assessment, I use a 24 " Gateway LCD and I love it.  I'm glad to hear that you use higher %'s to preview images as I've often gotten flack for doing that.  It tells me if my lens is doing it's job, if I'm doing my job and if I can crop (almost always necessary).
The things you do for yourself die with
Pages: [1]   Go Up