Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-510  (Read 20496 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Olympus E-510
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:39:13 pm »

Just purchased an Olympus E-510 as a lightweight carry around camera, and I am impressed by it.  Anyone else here tempted?  UK dealers are selling out as soon as they get stock in.  Well worth a try.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Olympus E-510
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:20:28 pm »

Just purchased an Olympus E-510 as a lightweight carry around camera, and I am impressed by it.  Anyone else here tempted?  UK dealers are selling out as soon as they get stock in.  Well worth a try.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124670\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To follow up, I have to say the Olympus E-510 is just about the best designed most user friendly dslr I have tried.  The menus are easy to navigate, the anti dust works, as does the excellent built-in image stabilisation.  And the image quality is up with the best 10mp cameras.  Something of a breakthrough product.  Pity it's so cheap, otherwise it might be taken more seriously  

Quentin

DarkPenguin

Olympus E-510
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:26:03 pm »

How did you test the anti dust?

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Olympus E-510
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »

How did you test the anti dust?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I didn't. Its possible its just less prone to dust, as there is not so much as a speck of dust so far. I don't plan on pouring dust in the front of the camera anytime soon, but a German mag did a comparative test where they did just that and the Olympus system worked better than "other brands"

Quentin

rforman9

• http://www.britelitestudios.com
Olympus E-510
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:49 am »

Hi Quentin,

I agree!  The e510 is a breakthrough product.  It has all the features I was looking for in a camera.  The anti-dust was not high on my list, but it's a welcome feature. the anti-shake, and the price point for a 10MP DSLR with two lens kit is what got my attention.  Also, I've been an olympus fan since my stylus 15 years ago.

I just picked up an E510 yesterday.  It's my first DSLR and I'm kind of a newbie.  There is one thing I've been trying to figure out.  Is there a way to focus without setting off the bursts of flashes?  It's seems as if everytime I push the shutter release halfway, it acts like it's doing a red eye reduction flash.  I'm sure the answer is in the manual, but I haven't found it in there yet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:45:20 am by rforman9 »

MatthewCromer

Olympus E-510
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:02:33 pm »

Hi Quentin.

A friend of mine who has accompanied me on numerous nature photography trips decided he wants to start doing landscapes.

As the photographic expert friend I went with him to the store and he ended up purchasing the E-510 two-lens kit, a tripod, head, CF cards, etc.

I was very favorably impressed with the camera and the lenses.  If I had some extra money I'd definitely consider getting it and the 7-14 lens.  I shoot a Sony R1 and I have been waiting for a dSLR with a live LCD for composing, as I do not like being forced to stick the camera on my face to use it.

dkusner

• http://www.pbase.com/dkusner
Olympus E-510
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:56:33 am »

I've been thinking about the E-510, or possibly even the E-410 (trying to decide how much of a priority image-stabilization is for me versus size/weight). They seem to combine the best features of digicams and SLRs, and I've mostly given up waiting for better digicams to come along, and the Canon 5D is just too big/heavy for me for everyday purposes.

My only concerns so far with the comparison images I've seen is that Olympus tends to blow highlights, implying a narrower dynamic range, but this may only be slight sensor sensitivity differences between it and the comparison model (usually a Canon 30D). I'm starting to think that straight comparisons with the exact same exposure settings may be misleading.

I haven't bought yet, but I'm watching closely.

BJL

Olympus E-510
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:56:57 pm »

To Quentin (and other new E-510 owners),

I will be very interested to read about your further experience with what seems to be the best received 4/3 camera so far. The E-510 is a big enough step forward from my E-1 that I am for the first time tempted to upgrade. For me it is "double or bust" when it comes to pixel count increases, but the greatest attractions are stabilization for the lenses I already have and LiveView for precise macro focusing.

I am waiting for details of the promised next higher end Olympus model, which I expect to have the same sensor (or one of the same pixel count but with multi-channel read-out for a higher frame rate), upgrading instead in other respects like more sophisticated AF, more rugged but heaver, two control wheels, articulated LCD, etc.  So comments on image quality and best settings for JPEG conversion and such will probably apply to either option.

robertwatcher

Olympus E-510
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 06:39:33 pm »

I used a E-500 for about 6 months professionally (about a year and a half ago) and loved it as well. Loved the skin tones right out of the camera. This shouldn't be much different I suspect - and probably much better with the Anti Shake and the tiltable live view (I was tempted to get the 330 just to have that feature) and slightly newer technology.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:40:33 pm by robertwatcher »

BJL

Olympus E-510
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 09:06:24 am »

... the tiltable live view (I was tempted to get the 330 just to have that feature)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
For "tiltable" you need either the E-330 or the forthcoming high end "E-P1" model, as the E-510 LCD is fixed. There is now a very credible leak on a 27 page Olympus Europe internal slide-show presentation on what it calls the E-P1. This makes it clear that Olympus is aiming at the same market as the D200, 30D and their expected successors, the "D300" and "40D", not at the EOS-1DIII, EOS-1DsMkII, D2X or such, which means that us mainstream enthusiasts will probably be able to afford it!

The PDF might still be at [a href=\"http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/E-P1.pdf]http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/E-P1.pdf[/url] or you can read summaries at sites like http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=23801816
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 09:09:01 am by BJL »

Ray

Olympus E-510
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 11:07:24 am »

The introduction of image stabilisation is a big plus. What intrigues me is the new zoom lens that Olympus has announced. It's a 70-300 f4-5.6 to be available in October. The combination of E-510 and 70-300 zoom will be significantly lighter than a Canon 400D plus 100-400 IS zoom, yet the effective focal lengths in 35mm terms will be almost as great. (140-600 as opposed to 160-640 for the Canon.)

I'd be interested to see how IQ compares with these two set-ups. The dpreview review of the 10mp E-410 shows good resolution compared with the 400D, except for a bit of moire and except for poorer performance at high ISO, as one would expect with a smaller sensor.

However, it's a pity the new Zuiko zoom is not faster. You are not going to be able to compensate for lower ISO use with a wider aperture, but it shouldn't be difficult to beat the performance of the Canon 100-400 IS at f5.6.

DarkPenguin

Olympus E-510
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 11:15:09 am »

I've no great reason to want this camera but I've had it (2 lens kit) in my shopping cart for days.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Olympus E-510
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 11:58:01 am »

I've no great reason to want this camera but I've had it (2 lens kit) in my shopping cart for days.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125593\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tme to click on "buy"  

In camera mage stabiisation is a plus, and it works with macro lenses.  the only downside I have found with the 510 is limited dynamic range.  You'll get blown highlights if you are not careful to adjust exposure.  Rumour has it that the upcoming pro Olympus replacement for the E1 will have even more effective image stabilisation and some sort of HDR function to extend dynamic range.

Quentin

P.S. This is an interesting enough development in the 4/3 format to warrant a review, Michael.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:00:13 pm by Quentin »

GLJ

Olympus E-510
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 04:37:15 pm »

P.S. This is an interesting enough development in the 4/3 format to warrant a review, Michael.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=125606\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Noooo... don't say that Q!

The 510 is a nice consumer camera, but asking MR to review it would be comparable to a long time large format user who was thinking of buying a Canon DSLR and writing a review on this 'new technology' he'd never come across before ..... and you give him a 300D to play with!

No. Michael did an ok review on the E1 (even though he didn't have enough of a chance to marvel at the non Canonesque lack of sensor dust, thwacky mirrors, lens vignetting and corner smearing at open apertures LOL) ... let him wait until he gets his grubby paws on the new E3 or E1-P or EP1 or whatever they call it :-)

G.

DarkPenguin

Olympus E-510
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 04:45:03 pm »

Actually, I think I'd rather have the e-410.  The IS would be cool but I really like the size of the 410.

Tme to click on "buy"   

In camera mage stabiisation is a plus, and it works with macro lenses.  the only downside I have found with the 510 is limited dynamic range.  You'll get blown highlights if you are not careful to adjust exposure.  Rumour has it that the upcoming pro Olympus replacement for the E1 will have even more effective image stabilisation and some sort of HDR function to extend dynamic range.

Quentin

BJL

Olympus E-510
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 05:32:18 am »

I agree with GLJ: the forthcoming "E-P1" seems far better suited for a review by Michael, at least if what we read in the alleged internal presentation of Olympus Europa is close to the truth.

I am also very interested in hints of that "E-P1" having a new automated, in-camera method for expanding dynamic range by merging several frames into a "HDR" RAW file, especially if this can be done hand-held (thanks to IS). The hints are from the alleged internal presentation and a new Olympus patent.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
Olympus E-510
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 12:33:22 pm »

I agree with GLJ: the forthcoming "E-P1" seems far better suited for a review by Michael, at least if what we read in the alleged internal presentation of Olympus Europa is close to the truth.

I am also very interested in hints of that "E-P1" having a new automated, in-camera method for expanding dynamic range by merging several frames into a "HDR" RAW file, especially if this can be done hand-held (thanks to IS). The hints are from the alleged internal presentation and a new Olympus patent.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126032\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think its a case of one or the other.  I doubt I'll buy a "E-P1" because I don't think 4/3 is ideally suited to the sort of subjects I'd shoot with "higher end" digital cameras or with large format film (but who knows?), but it is good at a range of stuff including macro and as a lightweight carry anywhere dslr.

I guess my point is I did not think I'd like the 510 as much as I do and I would be interested if Michael had a similar reaction to my own.

The other reason is I think the E-510 and E-410 might be a more important cameras for Olympus than the "EP-1" in terms of numbers sold and market acceptance of 4/3.

Quentin
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 12:36:18 pm by Quentin »

PSA DC-9-30

Olympus E-510
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 06:15:39 pm »

I'm curious to know what kind of weather / water resistance this camera has. For me, one big attraction of the Nikon D200 is its metal body and weather resistance. How does the 510 compare to the Nikon in these respects?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:16:08 pm by PSA DC-9-30 »

GLJ

Olympus E-510
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 05:10:39 am »

I'm curious to know what kind of weather / water resistance this camera has. For me, one big attraction of the Nikon D200 is its metal body and weather resistance. How does the 510 compare to the Nikon in these respects?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would not want to treat the 510 any differently to say a Nikon D80. The D200 is in a different category. The E1 and the next pro body when coupled to the existing non consumer Zuiko digital lenses seem to typically offer considerably enhanced weathersealing, even over the D200.

GLJ

Olympus E-510
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 05:19:43 am »

I don't think its a case of one or the other.  I doubt I'll buy a "E-P1" because I don't think 4/3 is ideally suited to the sort of subjects I'd shoot with "higher end" digital cameras or with large format film (but who knows?), but it is good at a range of stuff including macro and as a lightweight carry anywhere dslr.

I guess my point is I did not think I'd like the 510 as much as I do and I would be interested if Michael had a similar reaction to my own.

The other reason is I think the E-510 and E-410 might be a more important cameras for Olympus than the "EP-1" in terms of numbers sold and market acceptance of 4/3.

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=126084\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A considered and sensible reply as ever. Stop immediately and go and take pictures of men wearing makup and dresses .... (and enter the Kodak challenge you slacker!)

I will be interested to see if the "I doubt I'll buy an E-P1" comment will stand the test of time if you find you are happy with the fourthirds IQ and when you finally get to fondle one. I don't find the E1 body alone THAT much bigger and heavier than the 510 (its the lenses that do it), however the ergonomics and sheer 'class' of that camera are in a different league. For a few ounces more, the new pro camera will offer everything the 510 will and a lot, lot more.

Right ... got to fix my eyeliner and pop my lipstick on ....

XX
G.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up