Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Gamut Monitor and Safari for Windows  (Read 1487 times)

pigasus

Adobe Gamut Monitor and Safari for Windows
« on: June 24, 2007, 11:38:17 am »

I’ve got a problem and am wondering whether Safari 3 will solve it.

I’ve got an NEC SpectraView 2690 monitor which I use on my PC with Windows XP.  This monitor has a colour gamut considerably larger than the usual sRGB display.  Its gamut is 95% of the full AdobeRGB gamut.  Now this is all well and good when working in a colour managed application (such as Photoshop) which recognises and applies my monitor profile.  But in non-colour managed applications the results are problematical.

For example, when I view images on the web (given that those images have been correctly saved for the web as sRGB) I see an overly saturated version of the image.  It looks just like what you would get if, in PS, you took an sRGB tagged image and assigned AdobeRGB to it (instead of converting it).  Of course, the flip side of this is that when someone posts an image to the web which they have incorrectly left in AdobeRGB, it looks correct (instead of washed out) on my monitor.

I believe that on a MAC, I wouldn’t be having these problems.  But I’m joined at the hip with Windows and too old to change.  I understand that Safari 3, from the MAC stable, is a colour managed browser which can now be used under Windows.  From what I read, it will recognise the colour space of tagged images.  But I don’t think this alone will resolve my problem.  The real question is: will Safari apply my monitor profile in the same way that say Photoshop does.

Does anyone know the answer to this?  Or maybe have any other suggestions on how to deal with the problem?

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up