Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extra adjustments necessary AFTER profiling?!?  (Read 2587 times)

PCguru

Extra adjustments necessary AFTER profiling?!?
« on: June 23, 2007, 06:32:08 am »

On my Sony Vaio laptop with 13.3" XBRITE LCD screen, I used ColorEyes Pro to calibrate and profile it.  When I choose my new profile in RawShooter or PhotoShop as my RGB Working Space, it's still not what I'm seeing in the prints (or my HDTV, which I'm very happy to say it is very close to the prints without much adjustment!).  I'm printing with a Canon Pro9000.

Here's the problem that bugs me most.  Even after a profiling, what I see on the LCD are nice blues, just as I saw them in the environment.  On the prints, they're STILL more of a purplish hue - before calibration/profiling of the LCD, I admit the problem was much worse (more purplish blue in prints) but ColorEyes Pro didn't seem to get it exactly right.  

The other problem is that the reds in my prints are more saturated.  It's not really like a higher gamma, but it just looks more saturated.  Also, onscreen, magentas look more separated from reds than they appear on prints.  On prints, magentas look closer to reds.

Another problem is I can't get my LCD to change its white point at all really.  It's stuck at ~4770K so I have to choose Native White for white point target.  While I felt that it was too low, it actually turns out that the white on the screen looks too brilliant - is this a factor of the luminance I chose?  I have tried from 130 to 150 cd/m2 as well as Maximum luminance but I suppose I'll go even lower.

The white's aren't bugging me as much as the reds and blues.  Perhaps lower luminance changes the perception of color?

Lastly, is it common to fidget with additional color controls via software after calibration/profiling when the screen type is physically limited to brightness control?  In other words, if I'm finding the profile that CEP created isn't good enough, is it common to go into, say, ATI's (or nVidia's) color controls and globally offset gamma/brightness per RGB channel to compensate for the inaccuracies created by CEP?

PCguru

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 03:08:42 pm »

Well maybe that's a lot to digest.  I'd like to get an opinion on something though... is it possible that calibration hardware/software may not work well on Sony Xbrite screens?  Or could it be an issue with all LCD's?  I can get a closer match with the Blues and Reds with my own eyes.

jbrembat

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 03:29:15 pm »

On my Sony Vaio laptop with 13.3" XBRITE LCD screen, I used ColorEyes Pro to calibrate and profile it.  When I choose my new profile in RawShooter or PhotoShop as my RGB Working Space, it's still not what I'm seeing in the prints (or my HDTV, which I'm very happy to say it is very close to the prints without much adjustment!).  I'm printing with a Canon Pro9000.

Here's the problem that bugs me most.  Even after a profiling, what I see on the LCD are nice blues, just as I saw them in the environment.  On the prints, they're STILL more of a purplish hue - before calibration/profiling of the LCD, I admit the problem was much worse (more purplish blue in prints) but ColorEyes Pro didn't seem to get it exactly right. 

The other problem is that the reds in my prints are more saturated.  It's not really like a higher gamma, but it just looks more saturated.  Also, onscreen, magentas look more separated from reds than they appear on prints.  On prints, magentas look closer to reds.

Another problem is I can't get my LCD to change its white point at all really.  It's stuck at ~4770K so I have to choose Native White for white point target.  While I felt that it was too low, it actually turns out that the white on the screen looks too brilliant - is this a factor of the luminance I chose?  I have tried from 130 to 150 cd/m2 as well as Maximum luminance but I suppose I'll go even lower.

The white's aren't bugging me as much as the reds and blues.  Perhaps lower luminance changes the perception of color?

Lastly, is it common to fidget with additional color controls via software after calibration/profiling when the screen type is physically limited to brightness control?  In other words, if I'm finding the profile that CEP created isn't good enough, is it common to go into, say, ATI's (or nVidia's) color controls and globally offset gamma/brightness per RGB channel to compensate for the inaccuracies created by CEP?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124500\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The  monitor profile must be used for image rendering. So the image color space must be picked up from the embedded profile in the image file, if any. If your image has not a profile, assume it is sRGB.

To get better printer colors you have to calibrate and profile the printer.

Jacopo

David White

• http://
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03:09 pm »

On my Sony Vaio laptop with 13.3" XBRITE LCD screen, I used ColorEyes Pro to calibrate and profile it.  When I choose my new profile in RawShooter or PhotoShop as my RGB Working Space, it's still not what I'm seeing in the prints (or my HDTV, which I'm very happy to say it is very close to the prints without much adjustment!). 
Why are you setting your working space to your monitor profile?  You should be setting to to something like Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.  Setting it to the monitor profile will definitely cause a big color mismatch.
David White

Chris_T

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 07:15:05 am »

Even if your color management equipment and workflow are flawless, your prints may still not match what's on the monitors for a number of reasons. Perhaps these threads and the referred link will realign your expectation:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....85&#entry122385

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....61&#entry122961

On my Sony Vaio laptop with 13.3" XBRITE LCD screen, I used ColorEyes Pro to calibrate and profile it.  When I choose my new profile in RawShooter or PhotoShop as my RGB Working Space, it's still not what I'm seeing in the prints (or my HDTV, which I'm very happy to say it is very close to the prints without much adjustment!).  I'm printing with a Canon Pro9000.

Here's the problem that bugs me most.  Even after a profiling, what I see on the LCD are nice blues, just as I saw them in the environment.  On the prints, they're STILL more of a purplish hue - before calibration/profiling of the LCD, I admit the problem was much worse (more purplish blue in prints) but ColorEyes Pro didn't seem to get it exactly right. 

The other problem is that the reds in my prints are more saturated.  It's not really like a higher gamma, but it just looks more saturated.  Also, onscreen, magentas look more separated from reds than they appear on prints.  On prints, magentas look closer to reds.

Another problem is I can't get my LCD to change its white point at all really.  It's stuck at ~4770K so I have to choose Native White for white point target.  While I felt that it was too low, it actually turns out that the white on the screen looks too brilliant - is this a factor of the luminance I chose?  I have tried from 130 to 150 cd/m2 as well as Maximum luminance but I suppose I'll go even lower.

The white's aren't bugging me as much as the reds and blues.  Perhaps lower luminance changes the perception of color?

Lastly, is it common to fidget with additional color controls via software after calibration/profiling when the screen type is physically limited to brightness control?  In other words, if I'm finding the profile that CEP created isn't good enough, is it common to go into, say, ATI's (or nVidia's) color controls and globally offset gamma/brightness per RGB channel to compensate for the inaccuracies created by CEP?
Pages: [1]   Go Up