Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting JPEGS feelin' pain  (Read 2478 times)

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
Exporting JPEGS feelin' pain
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:56 pm »

OK I'm exporting 67 images to a folder as JPEGS quality 90 240 dpi Started around 9:30 PM last night, it is now 2:36 PM or 17 hours later and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, about six left to go. OMG! I'm running admittedly an older system 1 GHz Athlon with 1.2 GB RAM XP Pro release 2, but this is just not acceptable. Exporting to PS CS and batching to JPEGs would be faster but clunky.
It is I think similar in trying to upload a web page I also found it to be slow to wondering if anything was happening.
Yes I closed out other programs, did not make much difference.
Suggestions?? Any chance 1.1 will fix this??

DavidW

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 11:03:18 am »

This seems likely to be your computer. I'm 99% sure that an Athlon that old lacks SSE2, which the Camera Raw engine uses if it can. Lacking SSE2 is likely to be a tremendous performance hit for all the floating point maths that is needed, also, if you don't have SSE2, you will likely have the "highlight bug" affecting some of your images (I understand that this is fixed in ACR 4.1 and should be fixed in Lightroom 1.1).

A 1GHz processor is pretty slow compared to what most of us are using anyway - and a machine of that age will be much more limited in memory bandwidth than a modern one, which means that Lightroom can't move data between the processor and the memory as fast as on a modern machine.

Is there any sign that the computer is thrashing the swap file (is your hard disk light stuck on)? A machine of that age will likely have older, slower hard disks, which won't help any. More RAM may help, but probably not that much - it's Photoshop that's the huge RAM hog rather than Lightroom.

Exporting to JPEG is a pretty time consuming operation - it's equivalent to opening a file in Photoshop via Camera Raw (remember that some of the adjustments available in Lightroom are much more processor intensive than those in the ACR 2.4 you'll be using with Photoshop CS), resampling if necessary, then saving as a JPEG. How long does it take you to do those operations with one file in Photoshop?

I think the hope of performance getting much better on your machine is very limited; Adobe have said, understandably, that the emphasis will be on improving performance for current and future machines. I suspect that there's very little they can do to optimise things for older hardware. In particular, it will benefit far more people optimising the code for SSE2 and SSE3 capable processors than to work on optimising the code for pre-SSE2 processors. Most compilers are pretty good at optimising code for the older processors already.

I think it's probably time to price up some new hardware. It can be a relatively modest machine - a fairly fast Core 2 Duo (Intel's price premium for the very fastest chips is rarely worthwhile), a competent motherboard, 2GB of RAM, a mid range PCI-E graphics card and a couple of modern SATA hard drives will likely give you a huge performance boost without breaking the bank. Each of these components has moved on significantly in performance from your machine (which must be around 4.5 years old and may be even older).

One thing you could look at is whether you feel able to exempt Lightroom from any on demand virus scanning on your machine. That may speed things up somewhat. Defragmenting your hard disk(s) may help too.

Do you really need all those (presumably large) JPEGs? I only create large JPEGs on the odd occasion that I need to send an original file out to be printed, or to someone else who is either going to work further on the image, or print it. If I'm printing myself, it doesn't get turned into a JPEG - I print from Lightroom instead.

That said, I still can't get over just how slow things are on your machine. On my relatively modest 3 year old laptop (Pentium M 1.6GHz, 1.5GB of RAM, 5400rpm hard disk), I just set a job going exporting full size images from my Canon 20D to JPEG. It's taking about 20-25 seconds per image.

There may be 1:1 previews for most of the images available to Lightroom (which Lightroom may well be able to use to speed things up), the processor has SSE2 and is around half as powerful again as your processor on general purpose processing (you can't make a direct clock speed comparison between AMD and Intel chips), also the machine isn't trashing its swap file (just as well, as that hard disk is terribly slow). It's a data point at least.

David

Rusty

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:31:43 am »

David, thank you for your comprehensive reply. I am considering a new system, likely a laptop with a core duo 1.8 processor. An Acer 6292 with a dock that I will plug the existing monitor and yet to get external drive into is high on the list and seems to fit the spec you suggest. I am waiting to hear when the Vista issue is resolved with LR and putting together the resources as well.
I do not notice any appreciable delays using photoshop CS to save as JPEGs or any other format for that matter.
In all other aspects LR seems to run well on my system the only problem seen is in exporting to web or JPEG''s as stated in my question. I will confirm before I buy that the SSE2/3 capability is built into the above system.
Others on this forum have identified similar problems exporting to web and your answer may also be of use to them
thanks again
R

DavidW

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:51:52 pm »

Lightroom 1.1 is now with us - so you can give it a try and see if things are any better.

The SSE2 thing is a difficult one. Intel processors got SSE2 support around 4 years ago. AMD took rather longer over it - after all, when SSE2 first came out, there wasn't software around that used it.

There's other things in your system that are way short of even modest modern systems - the clock speed of modern computers starts at around 2.5 times that of your existing machine, the chances are that a modern processor will be dual core, and the memory bandwidth probably something between two and four times that of your system. Hard disks have got quite a bit faster too.

In other words, it's not as simple as "SSE2 systems are OK, non-SSE2 systems are likely to be too slow" - at least not from the SSE2 perspective alone. SSE2 can provide worthwhile performance improvements for the maths required to apply your Develop settings to your files to get a full sized image - which is much of the work going on when you're exporting to JPEG. However, those older machines that don't have SSE2 are quite a bit slower than modern computers in the ways I mentioned in the last paragraph. It's all the factors together.

All modern processors, be they Intel or AMD, support SSE2 (and I doubt you'll find any without SSE3 support these days). There's no need to ask specifically. Many commentators seem to think Intel has the edge on AMD at the moment - but that's not to say that an AMD machine would necessarily be a bad buy.

My suggested specification was trying to touch on the things I think are important for Lightroom. It isn't as big a memory hog as Photoshop (if you're going to use Photoshop as well, I'd go for 4GB of RAM). I'd go for a Core 2 Duo two or three notches away from the fastest (look at where the price / clock speed curve drops off badly), and a bit of research in places like Tom's Hardware may dig up some motherboard recommendations if you want to build a PC yourself (otherwise go to the likes of Dell, who produce perfectly competent machines). I'd avoid integrated graphics, but there's no point paying a fortune for a graphics card, even if you're going to use Vista, as most of the graphics card power only comes into play for 3D work.

I'd go for at least two SATA hard disks. That way, you can put your OS and applications on one, your swap file on another and maybe your data on a third (with a backup copy on the same drive as the swap file). Hard disks are cheap these days - but they can only do one thing at once!

David

Rusty

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40:31 pm »

David, thanks again
cheers
r
Pages: [1]   Go Up