Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience printing large from Canon 1dsii  (Read 3038 times)

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
Experience printing large from Canon 1dsii
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:22:17 pm »

I would like to print up to 44" wide x  60 or so.

Has anyone been successful at enlarging their canon images to this size?

Did the resolution hold up and was their any noticable pixalation or quality loss?

chris anderson

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:10:49 pm »

i my opinion it depends on the subject

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 06:56:44 pm »

i my opinion it depends on the subject
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124419\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes it really does. Normally  I woul say the limit is 36 wide, but there are some images which already are at their limit at 24 and some are able to print as large as 44in

It also really depends on viewing distance. If you are looking at a 44in picture in "normal" viewing distance, than the 1DsMk2 is enough and you will see a fantastic print.
Now If you moce way closer and look at it as looking at a A4 print, than you will see LOTs of details loss... BUT that's life.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:58:17 pm by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:45:40 pm »

I print on a 44" printer and only print scanned film at that size. I've made test print swatches and didn't like the results (after trying several sharpening techniques). My max size from a 1Ds2 is 24"x36" with shallow focus subject matter (food mostly) and am satisfied with the results.

As a test I rented a Sinar 22MP back and stitched two images together for a ~44MP capture. Then printed that image at 40"x60". I hung that print and others from scanned film at an exhibition of my work and didn't hear any scoffing from the gallery or viewers. The digital capture still needed up-rezzing and sharpening. The print was okay, but not like a 1 GB 4x5 drum scan.

You ought to print a few test swatches and find out for yourself what your preference is.
~ CB

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:42 pm »

I'd say it really depends on your shooting technique and your lenses. I just made a 42 inch wide print from  a 1DsII file shot with a Nikkor 18mm 3.5 and even looking at it through my reading glasses (finally showing my age) it's looks unbelievably good - sharp, crisp, no signs if pixelation or rough gradations. It actually looks closer to 4X5 than anything else. Your post processing technique has a lot to do with how well your images will print. Raw file processing, interpolation an sharpening are key to getting the most out of your MKII.

This is the type of situation where being totally anal about tripods, mirror lockup, optimum aperture, accurate focus and specific lenses make a very noticeable difference.

I just made a bunch of 32 x 48 inch prints for a friend scanned on his Howtek at 4000 dpi from Kodachrome originals, and they looked great. They were not nearly as sharp as the 1DsMKII file I just printed, but still looked great in that wonderful organic film sort of way.

I would say that if you're careful and have the right image, 40 X 60 inch prints from the MKII will still look great.

jpgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 11:51:49 pm »

I would also recommend that you print to canvas and coat with gloss.  The texture really let's you get away with a little more and adds character to the print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up