Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3D digital back  (Read 14174 times)

pixelpro

• http://
Hasselblad H3D digital back
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:55:16 pm »

I am considering purchasing the H3D 39Mp and need to know if I can use the digital back on my Sinar 5x4, Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II and on my microscope. Does anyone know if there are adaptors for these three items? Does anyone have first hand experience using the H3D back on other cameras?

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 04:20:33 pm »

The H3D-39 and H3D-22 are dedicated to the H3 camera even though they can be
removed from the camera

To work on multiple platforms,such as you've inquired about, you have to look at
the CF-39 or CF-22 backs.

According to the Hasselblad site they will work with most of the medium format SLRs
and large format cameras that are available.

Mark

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 04:24:35 pm »

To qualify Mark's statement, the backs on the H3D series cameras CAN be used on various view cameras (for instance, my Arca F-Metric for which Arca makes an H adapter), BUT they can only be used tethered since the back is designed to get it's power from the H3D grip battery. Without that, power must be supplied via the firewire cable (400 or 800) tethered to a laptop or desktop computer. I would assume an Image Bank would work as well.
Of course, the DAC features would not apply either.

Richard

I am considering purchasing the H3D 39Mp and need to know if I can use the digital back on my Sinar 5x4, Mamiya RZ 67 Pro II and on my microscope. Does anyone know if there are adaptors for these three items? Does anyone have first hand experience using the H3D back on other cameras?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124393\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:30:49 pm by rsmphoto »

pixelpro

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:59:34 pm »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. In the end I guess my decision will be based on convenience v financial contraints.  I need to see how many boxes the H3D ticks for me because of its price. Its a bit like buying a new car. Never thought I would have this much trouble deciding on a camera.

pixelpro

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:00:52 pm »

Thanks Richard, your input is valued.

Caracalla

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:29:32 pm »

It may be irrelevant but you can use H3D 39 Back on ALPA Cameras, I can't go in to further details why not on any other Cameras, but Alpa is confirmed for sure.

Regards
Caracalla

Khun_K

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 08:21:04 am »

It may be irrelevant but you can use H3D 39 Back on ALPA Cameras, I can't go in to further details why not on any other Cameras, but Alpa is confirmed for sure.

Regards
Caracalla
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124450\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can attach the H3D backs on any camera platform available with the H converter plate but you need to supply the power from either a computer or a HDD for the back thru the firewire 800 port.

RicAgu

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 01:38:25 pm »

Steve @ PPR may want to chime in here.

But I know they are waiting for the Leaf/Mamiya plate for the H1 to RZ mount to be avilable to do some testing for the H3D back to RZ.

I really don't get why these people can't work together for adapter bits.  It really is childish.  As photographers we want to use the best tool for the job.  Sometimes the RZ is one of the best things for portrait and other work.  Not always, but sometimes.

The RZ is no threat to anyone, they have been around forever, everyone has it and likes it for some use.  Most people are on 645 and would every now and then like to use the RZ.  Mamiya stepped up to the plate to make the D version.  Photographers are bending over backwards to try and figure out a way to use their backs on an RZ working with machine shops, etc..

It would be wise for Phase and Leaf to make a plate for H1 & Contax to RZ.  They would sell like hotcakes.

I have a friend who went the Hassy CF39 route because he loved his Mamiya 645 Pro TL so much and tried everything else and didn't like it.  So now he has his favorite set up with regular lenses, leaf shutter lenses, focusing hood, prism, big apertures, 300mm/2.8.

You have that with Contax as well, but twice the price and no US support.

There is a guy on Photo.net trying to sell a small Contax set up for $10,000.00 and part of the sales pitch is because it isn't made anymore.  That has gotten out of control.

Please make usable plates for the contax and h1 to convert over to RZ.  I am sure that is what many of use would like next to useable high ISO.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:40:52 pm by RicAgu »

josayeruk

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 02:11:11 pm »

RicAgu

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 03:49:53 pm »

ECO is too expensive for what it is with no Digital interface, plus a pain to deal with, with the language barrier and they don't take credit cards.  Wire transfer only.

Mamiya and Phase make it for the 645AFD with no need for cables.

I am assuming they can make it for the H1 without the need for cables.

Phase and/or Mamiya should make the plate available.

pixelpro

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 05:58:36 pm »

Thanks to everyone for interesting posts. pp

josayeruk

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 07:03:30 pm »

ECO is too expensive for what it is with no Digital interface, plus a pain to deal with, with the language barrier and they don't take credit cards.  Wire transfer only.

Mamiya and Phase make it for the 645AFD with no need for cables.

I am assuming they can make it for the H1 without the need for cables.

Phase and/or Mamiya should make the plate available.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124584\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I imagine it would be very complicated to digitally interface an H3D and an RZ body.

Lots of R&D time for a tiny market I guess.  :-/

Plus its only one cable?  Could be worse?

Jo S.x

j.miller

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 01:59:57 pm »

The digital capture unit (ie. digital back) of the H3D-Series are quite useful on a number of large format and technical cameras. Using the back on a Sinar 4x5 is not a problem, as there are several back adapters available (Kapture Group, etc). To use an RZ67 with H-mount digital back, it would require Mamiya's RB67 film back to RZ67 body adapter, (discontinued RZ Pro Adapter G), along with a Graflok-style digital back adapter. Its possible, but kinda expensive. I have not used the H3D digital capture unit on a microscope, however I would assume it would require the use of the H3D body to work properly. I am assuming your microscope does not have an aperture & shutter, and / or the ability to sync directly with the back from the H3D.

Keep in mind, the H3D digital capture unit can be externally sync'd with a multitude of different cameras. The back has both sync-in and sync-out connectors, specifically for this type of application. Your camera options include various cameras from Sinar, ARCA-SWISS, ALPA, Silvestri, Horseman, Toyo, etc.

The H3D digital capture unit works wonderfully on the ALPA 12-series cameras (including the XY). I personally own and use an H3D-39, as well as an ALPA 12TC, and find the two to be a great combination. The current lineup of ARCA-SWISS 6X9 (Monolith & Misura) cameras are also a nice platform for the H3D digital capture unit(s). I just configured a rather old Sinar P2 4x5 with an H3D-39 digital capture unit, along with a recently converted Kapture Group sliding adapter (converted from Hasselblad V-series to H-Series).

Depending on your application, older view cameras don't necessarily offer the precision for shooting with super-wide lenses, and keeping the front and rear standard perfectly aligned. It just depends on what (and how) you shoot.

Another recently added feature for the H3D digital capture units is being able to draw battery power from the new ImageBank-II. With the back mounted on any camera other than the H3D body, you can supply power to the back via Firewire 800, either connected directly to a computer running FlexColor, or connected to the ImageBank-II with a L-type Li-Ion battery.

Regards,

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 03:41:51 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

the H3D is made to be used as one piece....the advantage is the software correction and the single battery power....if you take it apart all advantages dissapear and become a major headache...so the question is : if you want to use all these other cameras, WHY get a H3D? if you NEED to have a Hasselblad back, get the CF back, it will go on anything....get a H1/2 with it and you have exactly the same camera, same lenses, except for the 28 of course....if you need a H camera, you can get any back and get adapters for all your other stuff.....you have TONS of options/combinations, but the one you seems to prefer is pretty much the only one that won't let you do what you want it to....so why go that way?

the idea that i have a back (even if you get it to work with RZ,...) and i can only shoot it tethered because it has no power.....it just does not make any sense to me....especially with all the other backs out there....the CF39 will give you the same files as the H3D....

godtfred

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 03:20:28 pm »

the H3D is made to be used as one piece....the advantage is the software correction and the single battery power....if you take it apart all advantages dissapear and become a major headache...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I totally disagree about major headache, why is it more of a headache than any other back?

I use my H3D back (digital bit) on my Linhof M679CS, and it is a well functioning piece of kit. Using the image-bank for power and storage, it essentially functions exactly like a CF back (without multi shot.) The brochure says the back works fine on (mainly) techical cameras, and it functions just like hasselblad claims it will.

I shoot so much more with the H-series body, so for me the bonus of the H3D system far outweighs the negatve of not having an external (internal) battery like the Phase One and CF range back's.

There is no need for "wake-up" of the back, it just works. You do however have to correct for lens casts with a white perspex plate or similar when doing using large adjustments on the camera. (Just like with any other back on the market.)

Of course you dont get the excellent optical corrections with the Linhof (or any other view-camera) that the H3 system gives.

-axel
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

zekai

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 07:50:59 am »

why not just buy phase?

josayeruk

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 08:12:41 am »

why not just buy phase?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127239\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because the situation is no different.    

In fact there is more flexibility with the CF from Hasselblad.

pss

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 02:33:10 pm »

Because the situation is no different.   

In fact there is more flexibility with the CF from Hasselblad.

this is not phase vs. hasselblad.....this is H3D vs. all separate backs....including hasselblad backs....the H3D-back has to be used with a battery/tethered/imagebank.....all other backs don't need that....

i don't know why anyone would get the ONLY integrated camera/back combo in the market with the intent to use the back on other cameras....this would be easier with hass own CF backs....not sure in which way this isn't obvious?

btw: has anyone received the calumet email regarding their lease special? hass H3D39 for 699/month for 36months...1$ buyout.....only problem: one has to trade in a 18+mpix Dback....

josayeruk

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »

this is not phase vs. hasselblad.....this is H3D vs. all separate backs....including hasselblad backs....the H3D-back has to be used with a battery/tethered/imagebank.....all other backs don't need that....

i don't know why anyone would get the ONLY integrated camera/back combo in the market with the intent to use the back on other cameras....this would be easier with hass own CF backs....not sure in which way this isn't obvious?
btw: has anyone received the calumet email regarding their lease special? hass H3D39 for 699/month for 36months...1$ buyout.....only problem: one has to trade in a 18+mpix Dback....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127302\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perhaps if the majority of use is on the H3D then it does make more sense to go with that option.

However if it is a more even spread between cameras then certainly the CF would make much more sense.

Sounds like a good deal there from Calumet.  Are you going to go for it?    

pss

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 03:58:18 pm »

Perhaps if the majority of use is on the H3D then it does make more sense to go with that option.

However if it is a more even spread between cameras then certainly the CF would make much more sense.

Sounds like a good deal there from Calumet.  Are you going to go for it?   

seems like the first post it trying to use it on a lot of different cameras...

hmmm...let's see trade in my P30 to pay 700x36=25000 to put up with a H? i don't think you have heard....i am hass hater #1 around here:)
i think that hass other deals are much better right now....

or steve's deals: H3D39 demo:24000, H3D31 demo: 18500.....

the one thing that really caught my attention: emotion75LV demo:19500...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up