Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gyros  (Read 2922 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Gyros
« on: June 22, 2007, 12:11:58 pm »

There is a nother topic that has drifted OT to mentioning gyros.

http://www.ken-lab.com

The cheapest apprear to be $1600 - MF small fry

---

Do these work on the ground

Could they allow say shooting an 8th or a 15th with an 80 on an h1 and getting it pin every time ??

(I know the model would have to be still )

How do they interact with panning is it smoother ??

Seems a way to really speed up shoots compared to a tripod (which I hate and rarely bother with)

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

SeanBK

Gyros
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 01:03:28 pm »

They rent by the week, as it requires one to get used to. You might try rental first.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 01:03:47 pm by SeanBK »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Gyros
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:07:03 pm »

They rent by the week, as it requires one to get used to. You might try rental first.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124386\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

but the theory stands one could say hold an 1/8th better than without (like IS) ??

S

Bernhard

• http://www.bernhardphotographer.com
Gyros
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 07:12:17 pm »

Hi

I used one of the smallest model sometimes for car shooting to get blurred out backgrounds. it works but it's not something I would recommend for people shooting. it's heavy and you can't move around fast, the gyros need very even movements. it makes a little bit noise also.

but it works  

this one is made with gyro and 5D

http://bernhardphotographer.com/content/Ca...wagen/VW002.jpg

try renting before bying

Best,

Peter McLennan

Gyros
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:45 pm »

They're absolutely invaluable for aerials.  When shooting with a film camera I use three, one for each axis, and they do an excellent job of making me look good.  They work beautifully on boats, too.

As far as a ground set-up goes, I don't think they'd be worth the hassle.  They're slow to react to operator inputs, take a long time to get up to speed, and, at least in aircraft, require a complex, dedicated power supply.

KAP

• http://www.kevinallenphotography.co.uk
Gyros
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 02:32:20 am »

They will work on the ground, but 1/8th pin sharp hmm. I suppose if you shoot enough you will get one, but I would think a tripod or mono pod would be easier. They don't like sudden changes of direction. Panning is nice and smooth with them. But they are very heavy and so are the batteries that power them.

Kevin.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Gyros
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:20:16 am »

They will work on the ground, but 1/8th pin sharp hmm. I suppose if you shoot enough you will get one, but I would think a tripod or mono pod would be easier. They don't like sudden changes of direction. Panning is nice and smooth with them. But they are very heavy and so are the batteries that power them.

Kevin.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124475\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Keep the comments coming.

I am dreaming up some sort of combo with a monopod and a gimbal head ??

I find tripods and mono pods very interfering with the 'creative proccess' (esp with centerpoint only AF)

(maybe I have the wrong ones - manfrotto)

interesting that everyone comments on the battery weight - my ellies and packs are pretty heavy too ad my tripod weights a ton

Say an extra 2 stops of 'hand holdability' would very handy say in a bar or other lifestyle situations where lighting may not be possible or may look synthetic

Gaining that in terms of faster lenses or a better back is either costly or not possible at the moment

It may all look like a faf but not compared to the body suits that steadycam operators wear

S
Pages: [1]   Go Up