Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 Custom paper Sizes  (Read 7864 times)

Portfolio

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« on: June 22, 2007, 05:58:18 am »

Getting great results from my z3100, but struggling with the printer driver. Most of these are caused by a bug in the driver that causes unpredictable results if you have too many custom page sizes stored.

Finally I managed to find out from the gurus in R&D Amsterdam what the recommended max number is. Five.

After that expect problems. Thats not nearly enough for me, so I hope they fix it in their next driver release. Just sharing the info....

rdonson

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 06:28:16 am »

Ouch.  Five isn't near enough for anyone.  I do hope this is high on their list of things to fix.  Its funny though that some people have reported being able to have ten custom paper sizes.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:24:06 am »

Getting great results from my z3100, but struggling with the printer driver. Most of these are caused by a bug in the driver that causes unpredictable results if you have too many custom page sizes stored.

Finally I managed to find out from the gurus in R&D Amsterdam what the recommended max number is. Five.

After that expect problems. Thats not nearly enough for me, so I hope they fix it in their next driver release. Just sharing the info....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well I do have faith in the HP techs in Amsterdam. They are in fact the highest level of tech support in Europe.
Yet this must be a PC thing as Before I had a lot more , around 25 or so, and currently am printing with 9 presets (custom page sizes) on a Mac with no problems whatsoever in that regard.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 07:24:49 am by neil snape »

Portfolio

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:20:13 am »

I should say that from a tech support point of view I've had nothing but good experiences with HP.

A word of warning though. You can have 10, 15, or 20 custom page sizes and everything works OK for a while.

Then maybe your prints start cutting off short, or they leave lots of extra paper, or everything tries to print onto a4 size.

Also, according to Tech support in Derry, the only way to properly remove custom pages is to reinstall the driver.

Can't speak for whether its a prob with mac or not.

dajaka

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:45:45 am »

I've got over 50 on my macs and have had no problems in this regard except for the following:

When printing from Illustrator CS2 if I don't set the custom page size as the last thing I do before hitting the print button the page will revert to some random built in size, usually letter but not always. I don't think this has anything to do with the number of custom pages as I've seen this problem from the first time I used my Z3100.

rdonson

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 11:02:01 am »

Also, according to Tech support in Derry, the only way to properly remove custom pages is to reinstall the driver.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124344\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's just plain unacceptable.
Regards,
Ron

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 01:11:08 pm »

I've got over 50 on my macs and have had no problems in this regard except for the following:

When printing from Illustrator CS2 if I don't set the custom page size as the last thing I do before hitting the print button the page will revert to some random built in size, usually letter but not always. I don't think this has anything to do with the number of custom pages as I've seen this problem from the first time I used my Z3100.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That items was or is already noted by HP. I know I say it in a Z printer newsletter, where it is on their site I cannot say.
There is also another small bug in the interface in the driver where you change the media selection and the previous settings will return to a default, so you must reset things like Gloss Enhancer.

berniestal

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 03:34:19 am »

I'm running windows xp on a dual processor and using CS2 & CS3. I also had problems with paper sizes using File/Print preview/Page Setup/Printer/ properties/Paper Quality & then using the Custom and making a paper size. Somewhere betwen 5 and 10 they weren't working properly and some I could not delete. At that point I tried deleting as many as I could. I should also mention I am connected by Ethernet. Finally I went to Start/ Printers and Faxes/file /Server properties/Here I was able to delete the rest of my papers. Then in the same location I clicked on Create a new form and made my papers sizes, I never use the other way anymore, and so far every page size still works. Hope this helps but no promises. I also experienced the same problems as others in Paper Quality or Printing Shortcuts, if you change the paper type you must go to Paper/Quality and go to Printer Quality/Settings, because in there they default to Normal and EconoMode, when you change the Paper Type, at lease this happens on my machine.If you use alot of the same settings alot of the time I found it best to go to Start/Printers & Faxes/Right click HP Z3100/Properties/Advanced/Printing Defaults and then pick all the tabs to your selections, most will stay as selected,but not the above problem in Printer Quality/ Settings. If someone can tell me the answer I,d greatly appreciate it. I'm sure you probably didn't need all this information but I thought others might.I too have problems in color matching with suttle light colors. I've made my own profies with the Eye one and they are better and I am still going to try profile editor and does anyone have any secrets in using profile editor that work? Thanks in advance Bernie

Roscolo

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 04:17:45 am »

I'm printing on XP Pro SP2, Photoshop CS2 - no RIP, no Qimage. I have at least 12-17 custom created paper sizes and have experienced no problems printing at all. I have a Pentium 6600 CPU and 2GB RAM - Asus P5 W DH Deluxe mobo - printer connected via USB.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 04:19:29 am by Roscolo »

dereknz

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 07:32:33 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Having problems with my custom paper sizes today. Can't save/show custom paper size

I haven't had my z3100 long, it's my 1st large format printer and I have only been use to standard A4 inkjet printers, so custom paper sizes is new to me

Today my Z3100 printer driver wouldn't allow me to save and show the custom paper size and was only showing a few custom sizes I had previously saved on it's list even though I had more. I am running XP pro sp2, qimage, cs3 on a 2.5 year old amd 2800 A socket machine 1.5g ram and also have a hp2200 Officejet (parallel port) and a new hp7180 multifuction printer (usb) connected. Z3100 is on ethernet.

I take the computer (case only) home at night and plug it into a spare monitor as my two children hog the home computer so I usally can not get on it. At home I have a hp K550 Officejet (usb) so I have four have differenet hp printer drivers for the 4 printers installed on this machine.

Opening up the Z3100 printer properties at home all the custom paper sizes are now showing 27 in total. Well over half of these were new ones added today when I had the problem of not being able to save/show the custom sizes for a printing job. I will now delete them all and see if things are back to normal tomorrow so I can get the print job completed

What I have been doing with custom sizes is using the roll width i.e 1067mm (42") wide roll was setting up a custom size name called "1067mm wide roll" and only altering the paper size length and resaving the custom size under the same name. Today when I wanted to use the  "1067mm wide roll" custom size to print out a job it wasn't showing on the list and saving new custom sizes would not show only now at home I relise they were saved but were just not showing on the list.

Has any one else struck this problem

Derek

dereknz

z3100 Custom paper Sizes
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:04 am »

Finally I went to Start/ Printers and Faxes/file /Server properties/Here I was able to delete the rest of my papers. Then in the same location I clicked on Create a new form and made my papers sizes, I never use the other way anymore, and so far every page size still works. Hope this helps but no promises. I also experienced the same problems as others in Paper Quality or Printing Shortcuts, if you change the paper type you must go to Paper/Quality and go to Printer Quality/Settings, because in there they default to Normal and EconoMode, when you change the Paper Type, at lease this happens on my machine.If you use alot of the same settings alot of the time I found it best to go to Start/Printers & Faxes/Right click HP Z3100/Properties/Advanced/Printing Defaults and then pick all the tabs to your selections, most will stay as selected,but not the above problem in Printer Quality/ Settings.
Bernie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the information Bernie. 3 custom papers I couldn't delete and was able to in the server properties. I don't know if I should use your method of adding new papers sizes through the printer server forms as I have three other Hp printers I am using on my computer and the new sizes may also be added to their list?

Derek
Pages: [1]   Go Up