Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed for photo processing on Mac  (Read 2386 times)

Khurram

Advice needed for photo processing on Mac
« on: June 22, 2007, 01:38:09 am »

I've asked some of these questions before, but i'm still kind of stuck on finding a suitable workflow.  I've experimented briefly with PS CS2 (trial), lightroom (trial) and LightZone (trial).  I really wished that trial packages came with training/help manuals - it's kind of hard to see if a software is going to be suitable, if you have a hard time trying to figure out how to do things.

Anyway, I'm finally getting ready to setup a website by the end of this summer.  In the meantime i was going to start posting my work on pbase.

I wanted to get some advice on the following:
  • Selecting software for processing my raw files (currently I only use DPP)
  • How to embed copyright information/watermarks in photos (what are my software options)
  • How to size photos for the web (detailed advice would be appreciated as currently i use DPP to convert my raw files on my Mac (I've got the mac book pro at home, with 2gigs of RAM), and then Photo Editor on my work PC to resize the files, using the large web size option)
I've been really reluctant to get PS CS3, bcoz it really seems overkill to me, as at this point i am for the most part just using imagig software to convert my raw files to either JPEG or TIFF, as well as removing dust spots.

Now i'm looking for something that will also allow me a faster way to do the following:
  • sharpen images
  • perform noise reduction
  • embed copyright information/watermarks onto photos
  • resize my photos for the web
  • adjust exposure for selected parts of a photo (i.e. bring out details in shadows
  • have an easier method for reviewing and working with a set of files then possible in DPP
Will Photoshop Elements allow me to perform these functions???  Will Lightroom???  Is there anyway i can avoid getting CS3 given my needs???  I had bought Scott Kelby's book and felt a little overwelmed, as it is not really writtten in  a step by step type manner that suits my learning style when it comes to software.

FOr the Mac it only appears ELements 4.0 is available.  Is there any reason why Elements 5.0 isn't available for macs yet???  Does Elements 5.0 have features 4.0 doesn't???

If i do goto with another software package, is it still advisable to process Raw files in DPP, i've read that colours in DPP are generally better then other raw converters.

i've read some reviews on Nikon's software that allows you to select a part of a picture and adjust the exposure only for a certain part (to deal with high dynamic range - i bring out detail in shadowed areas).  I may at some point want to combine two exposures (i.e. one exposure for highlights the other for shadows - currently i'm using Grad ND's and probably will continue to do this).  I wish Canon's DPP had this functionality.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:59:34 am »

I've asked some of these questions before, but i'm still kind of stuck on finding a suitable workflow.  I've experimented briefly with PS CS2 (trial), lightroom (trial) and LightZone (trial).  I really wished that trial packages came with training/help manuals - it's kind of hard to see if a software is going to be suitable, if you have a hard time trying to figure out how to do things.
Anyway, I'm finally getting ready to setup a website by the end of this summer.  In the meantime i was going to start posting my work on pbase.

I wanted to get some advice on the following:
  • Selecting software for processing my raw files (currently I only use DPP)
  • How to embed copyright information/watermarks in photos (what are my software options)
  • How to size photos for the web (detailed advice would be appreciated as currently i use DPP to convert my raw files on my Mac (I've got the mac book pro at home, with 2gigs of RAM), and then Photo Editor on my work PC to resize the files, using the large web size option)
I've been really reluctant to get PS CS3, bcoz it really seems overkill to me, as at this point i am for the most part just using imagig software to convert my raw files to either JPEG or TIFF, as well as removing dust spots.

Now i'm looking for something that will also allow me a faster way to do the following:
  • sharpen images
  • perform noise reduction
  • embed copyright information/watermarks onto photos
  • resize my photos for the web
  • adjust exposure for selected parts of a photo (i.e. bring out details in shadows
  • have an easier method for reviewing and working with a set of files then possible in DPP
Will Photoshop Elements allow me to perform these functions???  Will Lightroom???  Is there anyway i can avoid getting CS3 given my needs???  I had bought Scott Kelby's book and felt a little overwelmed, as it is not really writtten in  a step by step type manner that suits my learning style when it comes to software.

FOr the Mac it only appears ELements 4.0 is available.  Is there any reason why Elements 5.0 isn't available for macs yet???  Does Elements 5.0 have features 4.0 doesn't???

If i do goto with another software package, is it still advisable to process Raw files in DPP, i've read that colours in DPP are generally better then other raw converters.

i've read some reviews on Nikon's software that allows you to select a part of a picture and adjust the exposure only for a certain part (to deal with high dynamic range - i bring out detail in shadowed areas).  I may at some point want to combine two exposures (i.e. one exposure for highlights the other for shadows - currently i'm using Grad ND's and probably will continue to do this).  I wish Canon's DPP had this functionality.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124307\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Lightroom.....

And, you might be better off asking specific questions, one at a time...this is a forum, after all.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 06:41:37 pm »

Lightroom.....

And, you might be better off asking specific questions, one at a time...this is a forum, after all.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124312\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ditto ...

Your post was too long to take time to read.  Briefly skimming it however, sounds like LR is the best solution for you.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 06:42:50 pm by Wayne Fox »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 02:39:44 am »

Or Lightzone?

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up