Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spectraview and EU version of BasicColor software  (Read 6071 times)

jonstatt

Spectraview and EU version of BasicColor software
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:51:13 am »

I have a problem with my calibration of my 2690. Basically I want the backlight at minimum so that I get maximum contrast level after I calibrate for 100cd/m2. The trouble is whenever I run the BasicColor software (that came with the monitor) for LUT hardware calibration, it forces the backlight back up to 100%. This means after calibration my contrast ratio is only 200:1.

Does anyone know of a way to get a calibration with backlight at minimum so I can get my contrast ratio where it should be?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:51:48 am by jonstatt »

jonstatt

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:24:12 am »

So I have spoken with NEC and BasicColor support and have been given a new version of the software that now utilises the backlight dimming capability.

However, here is where it gets more interesting on the 2690. I noticed that the dimmer I calibrated, the more I could see some colour uniformity problems. These were totally invisible on the default settings out of the box (250cd/m2).

The new software now automatically turns off the colorcomp setting of the 2690. This has cured the colour uniformity but now reintroduced some slight luminance uniformity issues that the colorcomp fixes!!

Hmmm.....looks like the colorcomp does not work well with low luminance settings and in programming LUT mode.

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:31:42 am »

Why are you using both BasicColor and Spectraview?  I would think the latter would be sufficient, and that using both would introduce conflicts.  I hardware calibrate/profile my US 2090uxi using the US-version Spectraview II only.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

jonstatt

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:48:36 am »

In the EU, the monitor is supplied ONLY with BasicColor (although its NEC rebranded).

The Spectraview II software is for NEC US only.

What I have found since I posted is there is 2 versions of the latest BasicColor software. One that is just for the 2690 and one that is for all the others. The 2690 version speciically states to use this verison if you see uniformity issues and disables colorcomp.

So now I am really wondering whether this software is masking some kind of firmware or factory calibration issue...

Why are you using both BasicColor and Spectraview?  I would think the latter would be sufficient, and that using both would introduce conflicts.  I hardware calibrate/profile my US 2090uxi using the US-version Spectraview II only.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124158\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 11:49:49 am by jonstatt »

jonstatt

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:02:31 pm »

Hmm...Further testing shows really strange results with colorcomp on. I really wish I can try the Spectraview II software so I can see if its my monitor or the EU software that is given. Unfortunately I don't believe any trial key exists for this software? Or if someone can lend me a license key just for the one off experiment ( I already have the download)....please PM me.

Thanks,
Jonathan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 02:03:57 pm by jonstatt »

jonstatt

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 09:35:02 am »

Update.

BasicColor believe there is a hardware problem with the 2690 when colorcomp is on and using hardware calibration. For this reason they produced a special version of the software for the moment. Essentially you have a choice....colour uniformity or luminance uniformity but not both.

NEC state there is an issue and it is a compatbility problem between the 2690 and the software.

Can anyone running Spectraview II comment if they see any kind of colour uniformity issues (most usually seen on full white) after hardware LUT calibration?

This sucks really!

EDIT: NEC Germany called me. One thing I cannot fault is the support service which is very responsive. They are very apologetic. They said essentially this problem applies to EVERY 2690 currently in production. To properly fix this, the monitor must have the colorcomp calibration re-performed. They offered me a full refund or to receive a monitor that has been recalibrated as soon as they are able to do this (waiting for equipment and software from Japan).  I asked them if people in the US, using SV II software would have the same issue. They said, they believed that the SV II software forced colorcomp off on the 2690. Reading this board I don't think that is correct.

Jonathan

Hmm...Further testing shows really strange results with colorcomp on. I really wish I can try the Spectraview II software so I can see if its my monitor or the EU software that is given. Unfortunately I don't believe any trial key exists for this software? Or if someone can lend me a license key just for the one off experiment ( I already have the download)....please PM me.

Thanks,
Jonathan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124212\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:43:15 pm by jonstatt »

Carol

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 04:35:27 pm »

FYI, Spectraview released version 4.1.3 of their software today - might be worth downloading and trying it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:35:45 pm by Carol »
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:1

jonstatt

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 05:21:22 pm »

Hi Carol,

Its really weird. That 4.1.3 software was released on the 15th. But for some reason they seem to have re-uploaded it.

If you notice though, there are 4 binaries. 2 for the Mac and 2 for Windows. note there is a separate one just for the 2690, which disables the colorcomp.

I will give it a try anyway just to be sure...but I would think that it will have the same problem. I am hoping someone will confirm if the SV II American software also disables colorcomp or not.

Jonathan

FYI, Spectraview released version 4.1.3 of their software today - might be worth downloading and trying it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jonstatt

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 04:40:14 pm »

Further testing. It is nothing at all to do with any calibration software.

It is a fault in my 2690 and from what NEC Germany told me...all 2690s produced so far.

If you set the monitor to "auto luminance" and "native" colour "2.2" gamme. Then set the brightness to 250cd/m2 and display a white screen...it will be very flat in both colour and luminance uniformity.

Now try setting the low bright mode to "on". At around 100cd/m2 you will notice that the middle of the screen has taken on a magenta hue compared to the rest!

Sigh...NEC have really made a hash of this monitor compared to their previous efforts.

pigasus

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:33:39 am »

Can you give me a link for the newest version?  All I can find is the general Basiccolor download, not the Spectraview one.

I've got the SV2690 here in the UK.  And I noticed similar problems back in March.  I spoke to the Basiccolor guys about it, but I guess they weren't yet on top of the problem and didn't have any suggestions.  In the end I gave up on hardware calibration and just made all the settings manually.  It's a bit better as regards contrast ratio.  But it's still disappointing.

Thanks,
Sally

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:46:44 am »

Jon, what sort of results do you get if you turn auto luminance off?  I've never enabled it on my 2090 as it's generally struck me as a bad idea for serious photo work.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

jonstatt

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 11:51:47 am »

Hi Sally,

Please go to
http://www.spectraview.nec-display-solutio...d=3&language=en

You will find two versions. One that says for 2690 with uniformity problems, that switches colorcomp off by force....and the other version which switches colorcomp on by force.

If it was just the slight magenta in the middle after calibration I would probably be okay, but the dingy greenish tint at the bottom bothers me more.

Do let me know how you get on. FOr now I have calibrated with colorcomp off, and this has just meant that the left side has a slightly luminance gain over the right side of the screen.

Jonathan

Can you give me a link for the newest version?  All I can find is the general Basiccolor download, not the Spectraview one.

I've got the SV2690 here in the UK.  And I noticed similar problems back in March.  I spoke to the Basiccolor guys about it, but I guess they weren't yet on top of the problem and didn't have any suggestions.  In the end I gave up on hardware calibration and just made all the settings manually.  It's a bit better as regards contrast ratio.  But it's still disappointing.
Thanks,
Sally
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124650\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

jonstatt

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 11:54:06 am »

Hi Nill,

Interestingly the BasicColor software forces auto luminance off at all times. The spectraview II software from my understanding forces auto luminance to 1. So clearly there is some different thinking here.

But as I said previously, if you switch low bright mode to ON (not ADV) the colour uniformity problem shows straight up even on native (non calibrated) colour spaces.

Regards,
Jonathan

Jon, what sort of results do you get if you turn auto luminance off?  I've never enabled it on my 2090 as it's generally struck me as a bad idea for serious photo work.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pigasus

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 11:59:23 am »

Thanks, Jonathan.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up