Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW support for backs  (Read 16929 times)

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
RAW support for backs
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2007, 04:34:22 am »

Sorry for all the technical talk!  I had hoped it would lead to something fruitful.

A quick (English) update for folks on this thread:

I have looked at the files that the P45+ back is writing and found a minor deviation from a strict interpretation of how these files are supposed to be written.  I manually adjusted the file to correct for this and opened the corrected file in ACR4.1.

ACR did not recognize the file as a raw file.

I also tried to solve the problem in another way, using tools suggested by Harris, but no success there, either.

At this point I think we are out of luck until Adobe ships an update.

Those not wishing to see the gory details should stop reading here.

(pss, I'm guessing this means you!  )

--

Harris, I actually tried tiffcp first--I installed it and ran with the -f option, but no luck.  (no -B but -b did not seem to be applicable).

Secondly, parsed IFD0 with a hex editor and found that the change of the string "P45" to the string  "P45+" caused four subsequent fields to be non-word-aligned.  The TIFF  spec is somewhat ambiguous whether this is legal or not, but I patched the file my word-aligning the fields and adjusting all relevant pointers.  As excited as I was, no go--there was no change in behavior by ACR.

[If anyone from Phase One is reading, IFD0 Entries 13's & 14's value fields point to ULONGs at an odd offset.  There are also two corresponding offenders in IFD1.  This is on P45+ files written to the CF card.]

I suspect Adobe has 'fingerprinted' filetypes that they wish to recognize as raw (a simple constant binary match of some some small number of bytes at some offset into the file).  Given that the P45+ file is organized quite differently from the P45 file (image data precedes the IFDs versus the other way around with the P45), and as such it fails Adobe's fingerprint test.   My guess is this is why ACR assumes it's a standard TIFF and doesn't treat it as a raw file.

The reason I believe they are fingerprinting is because the Adobe Open dialog makes an instant determination on whether the .TIFF file is "just a TIFF" or is a Camera Raw file saved as a TIFF.  They are doing this nearly instantaneously, so this cannot be deep parsing of the file.

In any case, unless I reshuffle the blocks (IFD0, IFD1, Makernotes, EXIFIFD, and so on) to make everything look like the P45 file, I suspect it ain't gonna work.  The reason tethered seems to work is because the backs are not encoding the TIFF file in this case, and the code running on the PC to encode the data seems to have changed little for the two backs.

Sorry there's no good news, but I thought I would follow up to let folks know that my efforts were not successful.

And now I think I should go back to making some art!    

Best regards,
-Brad
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 04:36:00 am by bradleygibson »
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up