Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Niagara Falls Canada  (Read 3668 times)

robertwatcher

Niagara Falls Canada
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:37 am »

A recent trip to the falls resulted in a few salable shots including this one taken at the poor lighting time of 2:00 midday - requiring some burning and dodging to give the light some direction , drama and the look I want:

Model:NIKON D40   Lens:NIKKOR 18-200VR Orientation:Normal   Software Used:Adobe Photoshop CS2 Windows   Exposure Time:1/1250 seconds   F Number:F/5.6   ISO Speed:200   Date Taken:2007:05:06 14:02:46   Exposure Compensation:-4/6 Step   Metering Mode:Pattern   Flash Mode:No Flash   Focal Length:200 mm   Color Space:sRGB  

---
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:06:46 am by robertwatcher »

jani

• Øyet
Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:33:40 am »

A recent trip to the falls resulted in a few salable shots including this one taken at the poor lighting time of 2:00 midday - requiring some burning and dodging to give the light some direction and drama:
I think you've overdone it.

The contrast between the dull grey of the mountain and the fairy-tale water on one hand, and the Rembrandt-like highlighting of the over-saturated tourist area on the other, is in itself a bit interesting, but unfortunately it looks completely artificial to me; almost like a movie poster collage.

I suggest toning down the processing a bit.
Jan

mahleu

• 500px
Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 06:09:27 am »

I think you've overdone it.

I suggest toning down the processing a bit.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=124103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I disagree, i've seen similar images which border on the unbelievable but are not tweaked at all. I like it. I would have also toned it down, but only slightly. The bright colours of the poeple naturally stand out from the darjer water.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 08:17:59 am »

THe oversaturated orange ground really pulls my eye away.

robertwatcher

Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:34 am »

Thank you for your comments. I really liked and was intent on accentuating the dynamic S curve in this image.

I should point out that I made the resized web image shown in the first post, from my file that I use for printing on Rag Paper - which has been sharpened for that purpose. As a result it has the appearance of severe oversharpening when I look at it posted here - and that oversharpening is not evident in the prints I have made. Saturation, color and drama - that's my preference - I enjoy exaggerated reality.

For interests sake - here is the hum drum unprocessed but potentially usable original:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:37:59 am by robertwatcher »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 09:58:53 am »

Keep the ground color of the original and tone down the dodge of the rock face and I think it would be super!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 10:01:45 am by kaelaria »

jani

• Øyet
Niagara Falls Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 06:21:07 am »

I should point out that I made the resized web image shown in the first post, from my file that I use for printing on Rag Paper - which has been sharpened for that purpose. As a result it has the appearance of severe oversharpening when I look at it posted here - and that oversharpening is not evident in the prints I have made. Saturation, color and drama - that's my preference - I enjoy exaggerated reality.
Okay, that explains the web image.

I wouldn't generally recommend posting an image on the web that's been processed for print; the visual impact can be completely different!

For interests sake - here is the hum drum unprocessed but potentially usable original:
I prefer the overprocessed version.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up